Ecotech joins BRS as a sister company..

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what Ryan and Andrew are thinking, now that they sold the company they built from scratch. I'm sure their bank accounts are full, but they probably don't have much say in what they sell and advertise. They probably have to toe the corporate line, and sing the praises of Bertram products above all others. Credibility lost.

Let's hope they are able to give inputs to product designs or direction based on feedback from hobbyists.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acquisitions are the future. For example, Mars (the candy people) own Aquarium Pharmaceiticals (API), IAMS, Pedigree, Royal Canin, Sheba, Eukanuba, Cesar, Whiskas, Greenies, and Nutro, as well as Banfield Veterinary, among others.
And what happens when a company monopolizes a sector? Prices go up, and innovation goes down.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pretty sure both Ryan and Andrew probably have zero say in this new company and are completely out.
I also find the new videos hard to watch, the new guys just sound like every youtuber with way too much fake enthusiasm personality.
Agreed, the other guy they have on the beginner channel is just as agitating. Half the info he puts out is completely false .

The guy with a bunch of small tanks wears glasses

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
71DCFA6B-EC09-4B0F-A3D6-D31528797D9B.gif
Wow this threads back from the dead

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly im not sure as i dont care to look into those guys at all but they were probably low-mid popularity youtubers hired for that reason alone. Not based on their knowledge or experience of reef tanks that Ryan and Andrew based all their videos on. The videos now seem much more influenced by a brand they are trying to show off.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what happens when a company monopolizes a sector? Prices go up, and innovation goes down.
Yep. A company building competing LEDs, for example, would have to either find a good way to promote and sell their products online, or get BRS to agree to sell them for a huge markdown in the wholesale price.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. A company building competing LEDs, for example, would have to either find a good way to promote and sell their products online, or get BRS to agree to sell them for a huge markdown in the wholesale price.
*cough* BRS and Hydros *cough* perfect example *cough* never mentioned *cough* even in controller BRS videos *cough*

Man this cold is bad. Sorry.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the mergers prices increased not decreased. That's what happens in a monopoly market.

There are plenty of other sites to use.

Saltwater aquarium
Aquarium specialty
Aquacave

Or go straight to the company to buy the products.

Definitely a niche market but not monopolized yet.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys do realize, there are a plethora of other places to buy aquarium/reefing supplies other then BRS?

So exactly what monopoly do they have?
To name a few, ALL Neptune Systems (Trident, APEX, Sky LED), EcoTech Marine (Radion, Vortech, Vectra, and Versa pumps), and Aquaillumination (Prime, Hydra) products.

And you have to know they're looking at other acquisitions.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys do realize, there are a plethora of other places to buy aquarium/reefing supplies other then BRS?

So exactly what monopoly do they have?
Exactly, I buy directly from Hanna while everyone else complained about not finding HR nitrate reagent. People buy into brs thats why they sell to you, they already have you thinking they are the only ones, (great sales tactic) now people are worried about some possible poor business plans, go somewhere else thats what happens then businesses die off, if not they stick around, im no business major but I sure wish one would shine a light for these phobias.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, I buy directly from Hanna while everyone else complained about not finding HR nitrate reagent. People buy into brs thats why they sell to you, they already have you thinking they are the only ones, (great sales tactic) now people are worried about some possible poor business plans, go somewhere else thats what happens then businesses die off, if not they stick around, im no business major but I sure wish one would shine a light for these phobias.
I have a feeling that all production of Neptune, EcoTech Marine and Aquaillumination products still made in the US (if any are) will shift to China.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To name a few, ALL Neptune Systems (Trident, APEX, Sky LED), EcoTech Marine (Radion, Vortech, Vectra, and Versa pumps), and Aquaillumination (Prime, Hydra) products.

And you have to know they're looking at other acquisitions.
And heres someone that just doesn't get it either.

There are competing products to everything you list, and BRS doesn't sell them(well they sell some of them too).

And exactly what makes you think they are looking at other acquisitions? Do you have a crystal ball of some sort? OOH let me know tomorrows lottery numbers.....

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly im not sure as i dont care to look into those guys at all but they were probably low-mid popularity youtubers hired for that reason alone. Not based on their knowledge or experience of reef tanks that Ryan and Andrew based all their videos on. The videos now seem much more influenced by a brand they are trying to show off.

Andrew was never in or involved in the videos. He also isn't at BRS any longer. Bertram got his 50% so far as I can tell.

I will fight anyone that says Thomas isn't amazing! Just because BRS wants product videos doesn't mean he doesn't know his reefing.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now 23 pages long, just rehashing everything that was said in the previous 22 pages. lol
Ik, but it has changed a little bit because of the new aperture pet and life brand forming. Less like sister companies and more like one singular brand. This thread also continued on the first betram purchase and marinedepot being bought by brs so might as well keep it here

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back