Emergency QT Help

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need a larger qt due to aggression check petco and petsmart they usually run a 1$ per gallon tank sale this time of year. Also I have used Rubbermaid containers in a pinch too [emoji4]

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did we talk about that many fish in a 10 gallon already? I can't remember if we covered that... If you have to use the 10, then do so. Watch for ammonia and aggression. If you find that you are able to get a bigger qt, then that's best.

I'm almost hesitant now that I finally have copper levels at 2.0ppm. With the addition of the 2 chromis I've added a few more capfuls of good bacteria. Nobody going nuts right now.... Salinity crept up to 1.029, in the process of lowering it slowly.

Salt

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost hesitant now that I finally have copper levels at 2.0ppm. With the addition of the 2 chromis I've added a few more capfuls of good bacteria. Nobody going nuts right now.... Salinity crept up to 1.029, in the process of lowering it slowly.

Salt

Just watch them and be prepared to get a bigger tank for them if needed. As long as everybody is ok, ammonia is in check and nobody's fighting, then you're good to go. I'd still plan to get them into a bigger tank since they will be in there for the full 76 days but it can probably wait for a bit.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watch them and be prepared to get a bigger tank for them if needed. As long as everybody is ok, ammonia is in check and nobody's fighting, then you're good to go. I'd still plan to get them into a bigger tank since they will be in there for the full 76 days but it can probably wait for a bit.

Thanks! Ammonia up some, just threw in more bacteria.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do a water change too! This will probably be a daily thing for a bit.

If I do that, what about the copper levels? Or can I mix the copper in the water before I change it? Will this make the bucket I use tainted, so I cant use it on the DT?

Thanks
Salt

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do that, what about the copper levels? Or can I mix the copper in the water before I change it? Will this make the bucket I use tainted, so I cant use it on the DT?

Mix any replacement water with copper before you add it to the QT.

Wipe the bucket down with a vinegar soaked paper towel to un-taint it. ;)

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix any replacement water with copper before you add it to the QT.

Wipe the bucket down with a vinegar soaked paper towel to un-taint it. ;)

@melypr1985

So just did a water change and realized I've been reading my API test kit wrong, I was comparing the vial color from the side, apparently you're supposed to compare from the top down. So I'm at around 4ppm, should I lower it slowly? Or drastically to 2.0ppm? I'm out of water atm.

Salt

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985

So just did a water change and realized I've been reading my API test kit wrong, I was comparing the vial color from the side, apparently you're supposed to compare from the top down. So I'm at around 4ppm, should I lower it slowly? Or drastically to 2.0ppm? I'm out of water atm.

Salt

As soon as you have water made, do a water change to lower it back to 2ppm. As long as the fish are acting normally, you have a bit of time to do that.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as you have water made, do a water change to lower it back to 2ppm. As long as the fish are acting normally, you have a bit of time to do that.

yea they have been acting fine.... going to do a 25%, hope that's enough. Found a bucket partially full of rodi...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea they have been acting fine.... going to do a 25%, hope that's enough. Found a bucket partially full of rodi...

I'm sure it will be fine. Dont panic ok? If they arn't breathing heavy, acting lethargic or fading in color, then they are reacting ok to the higher copper. I've known people who kept more sensitive fish at this level for long periods. We are just going to lower the copper level to be safe and for piece of mind.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure it will be fine. Dont panic ok? If they arn't breathing heavy, acting lethargic or fading in color, then they are reacting ok to the higher copper. I've known people who kept more sensitive fish at this level for long periods. We are just going to lower the copper level to be safe and for piece of mind.

Thanks! Feel like an idiot....

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Feel like an idiot....

No way!! This happens all the time! Panic is never a good idea... just calmly assessing the situation and deciding on a course of action. If you can't do that... just post here before you act and we will help you! :)

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way!! This happens all the time! Panic is never a good idea... just calmly assessing the situation and deciding on a course of action. If you can't do that... just post here before you act and we will help you! :)

Did another water change this evening copper still a bit high but everyone seems happy. They are eating.

Do I need to be fallow for 76 days or 6 weeks? My Mandarin passed pretty quickly along with the other fish still 90% sure it was velvet not Ich.

Salt

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did another water change this evening copper still a bit high but everyone seems happy. They are eating.

Do I need to be fallow for 76 days or 6 weeks? My Mandarin passed pretty quickly along with the other fish still 90% sure it was velvet not Ich.

Salt

If you want to be safe and totally sure it's all gone - no matter what it was, then go with the 76 days. If you are absolutely positive that it was just velvet and not both ick and velvet then go the 6 weeks.

I'm glad they are doing well for you!

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halfway through QT almost... Fish are eating like they are starving! They are looking great! Copper levels are hovering just above 2.0 right now.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1921.JPG

They can almost jump to it... haha

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back