Eshopps 3rd. gen R-100 Refugium

kstone2274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works ok. Im using this on a 40 breeder frag tank. It says thats its rated for 200 gallons but the water volume doesnt say so to me no matter how its designed.

Hellsinki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has support bracing all the way around the bottom of the lid. No warping as of yet! Can you post a picture of it on here so we can see it??
Seastar: I would not recommend putting anything in front of that grate. NEVER. As you could have a overflow. Sounds like the unit and the skimmer just needed to break in.
I have no bubbles at all returning to the display tank.

Here's a pic of the lid and the warping
598100f38b86a06acd9ee45469bda4a3.jpg

Hellsinki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has support bracing all the way around the bottom of the lid. No warping as of yet! Can you post a picture of it on here so we can see it??
Seastar: I would not recommend putting anything in front of that grate. NEVER. As you could have a overflow. Sounds like the unit and the skimmer just needed to break in.

Yeah, looking at the photo of your lid, it is rectangular with a bunch of bracing. Mine is longer, and has a cutout for the drain hose.. and no bracing.. Yep, I'll be calling eshopps to get a copy of the new design lid. Obviously they know about the warping to have changed the design.

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hellsinki,
Yours is the R-100?? Or the R-200? Yes, I cannot even bend my lid with my hands!!! Still not sure they can help you unless they replace the entire unit. My area around the return hose is solid and does not come out.can you provide a better pic of the whole top?
Thanks

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad this thread is helping people out and we are figuring this out. I know the sump comes with a full warrantee as I have my card sitting right here.

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
Alright! Starting to work on my sump now finally! Lots of honeydo's and cleaning around the house. Seems I can never get caught up.
I should have some pics to post tonight hopefully. Picked up a few needed things I want to use for the sump. I need to move some Pocillopora's out of my tank. My main colony spawned, and I have babies growing everywhere! Including on my wavebox. I am going to get them off with a razor and then mount them.
I never thought this would be a problem.............lol

Steven C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steven,
I personally would add dry sand if I where you. I feel it would be safer. It will eventually multiply with critters. If you add live rock they will migrate from the rock to the sand as well.
Live rock rubble is fine too and will serve as a safe haven for copepods and zooplankton to multiply. They will then be put back into your main tank for food etc.
Hey sorry took me a few days to get back but I am not sure yet i may use live sand I am very cautious i don't want to start a large cycle and seriously i know this thread has definitely help me out..... That's great upload pictures of the set up when you start i can't wait to start mine just taking my time with it

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
Sorry, been working my tail off! My next purchase is a inverter generator. They are saying Southern California is going to be hit with the Godzilla of El Nino's this winter. If that's the case(and it may be as we are having a crazy humid summer) I want a nice inverter generator to run some things in the house as well as my reef tank!!!
I know with that much rain, WE ARE GOING TO HAVE POWER OUTAGES. I will be ready!!! So, on to the sump:
1. I am going to ramp this sump up now to 4.75 stars. It just keeps getting better. I think its breaking in now and I love it!!! WORTH EVERY PENNY AS I STATED IN A PREVIOUS POST. Heres the initial set up with everything more or less thrown in. Lots to do still.

2. The filter socks can go 5 days. But that's pushing it. And my skimmer lets me know as by day 3 its skimming like crazy. The filter socks are a perfect micron size, as they do not clog easily! And if one ever did, you have bypass slots that will take the water directly to the main pump. Very well thought out for sure! Here's a few shots of the water entering the sump. Splashing once the water exits the filter sock if gone. Completely! Notice the water line down below how straight it is.

3. I decided not to get caught up in all the hype. I researched the AquaMaxx Co1 skimmer. Not any better then my Reef Octopus Classic. My classic has a better cup design, so I will stick with it. Tons of room for darn near any skimmer in the compartment. My carbon bag is now on the back side of the skimmer by the skimmer outlet. Front are my doser lines coming in. I like them there so I can easily see them. Buffer likes to get a build up on the end of the line changing flow rate!
4. Refugium is just plain awesome!!!! Like having another tank. The Wavepoint 6" LED light is insanely bright! Has 2 channels blue and white. White 10K and I love it. Its built extremely well with a thick lens over it to protect from water spray. The little light has a massive heat sink on the back, which does get a bit warm. I use a chiller, so its of little concern to me

The fug chamber I decided to fill with live rock and go from there. Theres already critters moving around in there. I want to get a nice population of plankton in there too. In time, it will happen. Maybe I will add Cheato too. Still taking it day by day.

This is a huge step up from a tank sump, which was what I have always had. It gives you a lot of control over what the water is doing, and you can more efficiently control all your filtration with it.
No warping of the lid as of yet. Everything is rock solid. I still have more plumbing to do and lines to conceal and re-route. I am getting there! What do you guys think???

Tony73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question. How much is high The flow space from The 1st room and The skimmer room? Just to understand..below refugium [emoji6]

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tony,
At least 95% of the water runs through the lower channel to the skimmer. Its designed very well. Its amazing how calm the water is after the first chamber. Also, you can see the water flow into the refugium. You get some fine air bubbles into the fug, which gives you a good idea as to the flow. Its a nice flow too. Enough to move the water around a fair amount in the fug chamber. So far I love it.

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some more tidying today. Got rid of one pump all together. My chiller is now teed off of my waveline 6000 main pump. So, one less pump to deal with AND more room. Next step was to purchase a Eheim mini compact 300 pump! This thing is dinky small. So small in fact, that its placed in the pump return chamber, and runs my reactor!! My reactor hangs off the back of that chamber in the rear. Hardly noticeable. Even more room now.
Slowly I am fine tuning and making this thing super clean and efficient. Man, I love it!!!

Steven C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some more tidying today. Got rid of one pump all together. My chiller is now teed off of my waveline 6000 main pump. So, one less pump to deal with AND more room. Next step was to purchase a Eheim mini compact 300 pump! This thing is dinky small. So small in fact, that its placed in the pump return chamber, and runs my reactor!! My reactor hangs off the back of that chamber in the rear. Hardly noticeable. Even more room now.
Slowly I am fine tuning and making this thing super clean and efficient. Man, I love it!!!
so i set mine up last night and everything so far is good but where do you have your optical sensor for you ATO cause im having trouble figuring out where to put mine

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Steve,
Nice! Sounds like you like it! My sensor is behind my skimmer in the large sump. Not sure its going to stay there, but seems to be working just fine. Did you purchase extra filter socks?? I purchased 2 extra ones, and two extra course filters too. They really come in handy. The course filters do a great job keeping bubbles out and hardly get clogged at all. I rinsed them out finally a few days ago.
My refugium is doing great. Lots of critters in there and nothing to bother them. Waiting to get some plankton swarming in there. Should just be a matter of time.
So far, like I said before, this is a awesome sump for the money!

Steven C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Steve,
Nice! Sounds like you like it! My sensor is behind my skimmer in the large sump. Not sure its going to stay there, but seems to be working just fine. Did you purchase extra filter socks?? I purchased 2 extra ones, and two extra course filters too. They really come in handy. The course filters do a great job keeping bubbles out and hardly get clogged at all. I rinsed them out finally a few days ago.
My refugium is doing great. Lots of critters in there and nothing to bother them. Waiting to get some plankton swarming in there. Should just be a matter of time.
So far, like I said before, this is a awesome sump for the money!
Yea absolutely im loving it so far added in some macro algae to the fuge area and that's where i have my ATO im just scared cause were the skimmer is the water rises and falls im assuming eventually it will fall a little to much and activate the ATO ? I have extra socks cause i have been using socks for a while now so i have plenty and i don't really see many bubble to be honest. Next up pods

Hellsinki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, just want to chime in. Eshopps customer service rocks. They sent me the new design cover that doesn't warp. Left is new right is old. Notice the reinforcements
ef852c4a0aa9e948c03feb96dff31c05.jpg

d0255d80313097e1ac9f762d1b76a3fd.jpg

Life is good again!
24519b978b24d7e8f1126a8b983d7bb1.jpg

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hellsinki,
Great to hear that!!! That's totally awesome. Man, you got it quick too. That's excellent they are backing their product like that. I figured they would do so.
Looks really nice now! Yep, mine has not warped at all yet.;););););)

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steven,
Nice! They are really nice sumps for the money! I removed the sticker on the front of mine so I can see in where the water enters and dumps into the filter sock. I am liking it much better. I went ahead and ordered their new Dosing container a few days ago. Has 5 2 liter chambers built into it with clear slots on the front of each so you can see additive levels. Looks really nice. I cannot wait to get it.
Never thought I would like a custom sump so much. It really does make a difference to the tank. It kinda organizes everything and makes all the components more efficient. Super quiet too.

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, please feel free to post whatever questions or things you want here. This is a "FREESTYLE THREAD"........lol!!!

Tony73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question
If 95% of water runs to The skimmer, which is The sense of refugium?
In theory refugium needs to get more water to work properly

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back