OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tony73,
My guess of 5% of the water running through the refugium may be off a little. Maybe 10%??? I would think you would want the water running slow enough through so the macro algae have time to absorb nitrates and other nutrients from the water that enters and exits the chamber.
There may be a formula to determine the correct or best size. However, the refugium has many advantages other then housing macro algae as we are all aware of.
Personally, I am still on the fence as to whether macro algae makes a good addition to a SPS reef tank. I have had both in the past, and really could not tell a difference. My concern now is I carbon dose my tank, and I am not sure macro is needed and if so, what impact will it have on the water quality. Macro does secrete tannins and probably could introduce toxins in the water. Very much so in the event of a die off.
I had planned on filling this chamber with bioballs, as to further build up my bacterial count in the system. Bioballs offer only a larger surface area for bacterial growth when fully submerged, and do not throw off the balance and produce nitrates. Only ,when they are heavily oxygenated and the water running over them is broken down into droplets.
I decided on live rock instead and to get a copepod population going with some zooplankton for my corals. I may try some cheato or other macro at some point, but for now I am happy with the progression.

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning guys,
Just wanted to update. Sump working without any hitches at all. I must say its really great. Super quiet and works excellent. I picked up my new Eshopps dosing container. Boy, is it neat! Super nice and well built! 5 chambers and each chamber holds 2 liters. Plumbed it up last night and get her filled up. So far so good! A very clean look and super easy to view the liquid amounts in each chamber. Build quality is really nice too.
Would you guys like to see some pics??

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here she is! 5 chambers. 2 liters each chamber. Viewing windows in front of each chamber with float on rods! Very very easy to view levels

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty impressed with eshopps so far. Nice stuff and good quality. Affordable too. My last chamber will probably be for magnesium. However, as of 1.8 years I still do not need to dose it, as my phytoplankton I add is loaded with it.....

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they keep pushing out the backorder date on drfosters and Smith. It was the 24th then the 28th now the 2nd...hope this doesn't keep going on!

I want my R200!

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
Update: Still loving my new sump. I am getting some algae in the refugium now. I will be adding some snails to it in the next few days. Am I defeating the purpose??? It looks so nice with the purple rock in it. I think I could grow corals in this sucker!
I am still configuring my cords and moving things around. I will be posting some pics when I think it's done to my liking. I wont give it 5 stars because I have not had it long enough. However....................... I am getting closer.
The dosing container is awesome! I love it. Super super nice. Built solid, and easy to view my levels. The 2 liter size for each container is a huge plus! As I dose 70 mls of buffer in a 24 hour period!
I think they make and sell a 10 gallon top off container. I think I am wanting that next..................

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh another awesome thing. Thanks sump has cut my evap by over 50%!!! This saves me time and money

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hipower,
Well you may like it better. You will not be able to see the pump chamber from the front of the tank. It's such a nice looking pump! I know the Advanced sump has a larger pump chamber. I thought about the ADV. when I purchased mine. It should be every bit as nice as mine if not nicer. I am sure you will like it a lot. Post some pics here when you get it. We would love to see it.
I really love mine! I went from 5 gallons of water evap in 3 days to 7 now!!! I love it! Saves me a lot of work. Never thought it would make that big of a difference having the water entrance chamber covered. But boy, what a difference it has made!
I feel I got a great set up at a very reasonable price.

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Typo.... You WILL be able to see the pump chamber from the front. With that pump, it will be nice!

hipower

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R-100
IMG_2648.jpg

New
IMG_2658.jpg

CausticGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<= Sump envy, I have the gen 2 and havent really had any opinion on it, until now. I hate it. Want the new one!

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hipower,
Wow! Looking great! I love this sump. And their cone skimmer is a beast! Can you move the float valve to get more room for the pump?? I took mine out completely. I have a ATO system so it was not needed.

hipower

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I flipped the pump and the float works! I will be running almost everything from eShopps. Ordered the doser, ATO (Small) Container, and Dual Container.

IMG_2669.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back