fluconazole x bryopsis

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, first up thank you to @Sabellafella , it's always hard to put your head above the parapet before others, but by (re)bringing this possible (now probable) cure to bryopsis, and with the help of @NCreefguy and others, you have helped save many members tanks and their money too!

My story is a simple on.... My 70 gallon tank is just 18 months old, I keep it very clean, spend hours on it and have been blessed with no issues, no algae, no losses etc... and have nurtured a lovely dark green fern type macro algae in my display tank, it looked so beautiful, with its long 3 inch ferns dancing about my branch rock. I looked after it, and was glad to have my only bit of algae surviving.

Then, one day, I thought oh, its getting a little bit big, i'll pull some of it out and trim it back a little...... a week later it had grown back, and I had new patches growing in about 4 different locations around my DT and one in the sump..... hmmmm, I thought, I know it can't be bryopsis, as I have such a clean perfect tank.... so I pulled a little fern off, and looked under a magnifying glass, and searched the web..... It didn't take long to find out... It was Bryopsis Pennata!!!!!!

So ok, I started to do what others
before fluconazole was known, I pulled any rocks I could, and H2O2 dipped them, pulled and kept pulling any ferns I saw, raised Mg to over 1500, upped salinity to 1.028, increased flow and despite Vibrant costing $70 here in the UK I got some and started dosing...... 3 week later.... even more bryopsis than I started with!!! :(

So you have given me hope, rather than the entire live rock genocide I was considering - thank you!

Rob

It will work! The hardest part for you will be getting it. Ask @Woolleson he may be able to provide you with a lead in the UK.

Woolleson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work! The hardest part for you will be getting it. Ask @Woolleson he may be able to provide you with a lead in the UK.

Rob.

My situation was simliar, low nutrient, fastidious in my maintenance and manual removal of bryopsis and it spread, very quickly!

Firstly I wouldn't try and remove manually, it just spreads the spores. I have started dosing vibrant (bought from the usa, £24 on ebay plus £12 import, still cheaper than uk purchase). I am still at the early stages with vibrant, but from what have experienced it will remove it but takes months.

I then came over this thread, so wanted to speedup the process. The problem is Fluconazole is hard to buy in quantity over here. I ended up buying some on ebay, some on amazon and then online pharmacies. Total coast for 1500 mg with pnp was under £30.

Im 24 hours after the initial dose, I'm keeping alog and will post the results and photos in a few weeks. Or earlier if it has gone sooner.

Cant thank these guys, rick especially for the nod to this cure. It really seems the silver bullet.

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @NCreefguy ... I just have to work up the courage to go into a pharmacy and order 1400 mg worth of women's thrush capsules without having to try to explain why I need so much! :oops:

Yeah unless you happen to have a sun dress that might be a tough one. :D Check out EbayUK and Amazon.

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Woolleson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah unless you happen to have a sun dress that might be a tough one. :D Check out EbayUK and Amazon.

Lol [emoji38][emoji38]

I tried that, local pharmacies wont sell you that amount. The max I could purchase in one go was 450 mg, you could get family to pop in if you like....... Penile thrush excists, allegedly [emoji15]

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks @Woolleson ! Yep, I have learned the hard way... don't pull out bryopsis!! :(

I got Vibrant from Charterhouse, £55 !! but not even a change in the bryopsis after 3 weeks (6 doses) its just got worse .

I just tried a UK online pharmacy.... only £1.50 a 150mg capsule, but 2 is the max allowed..... and local shop store wants £9.99 a capsule!!!

Guess i'm going to have to trawl the ebays/amazons/shifty looking men on dark street corners to get enough.... although it looks like some people are having success on a reduced 50% amount.

I am still using vibrant, high Mg, high salinity, H2O2 dosing, so maybe a 10mg / Gallon would be enough.

Woolleson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks @Woolleson ! Yep, I have learned the hard way... don't pull out bryopsis!! :(

I got Vibrant from Charterhouse, £55 !! but not even a change in the bryopsis after 3 weeks (6 doses) its just got worse .

I just tried a UK online pharmacy.... only £1.50 a 150mg capsule, but 2 is the max allowed..... and local shop store wants £9.99 a capsule!!!

Guess i'm going to have to trawl the ebays/amazons/shifty looking men on dark street corners to get enough.... although it looks like some people are having success on a reduced 50% amount.

I am still using vibrant, high Mg, high salinity, H2O2 dosing, so maybe a 10mg / Gallon would be enough.

I would dose the recommendation, rather than fail and redose. I ended up using 3 off amazon, 3 off ebay, 3 off online, plus 1 off online. All came within 3 days.

I'm going to keep with vibrant, i have some red turf algae its taking out bi by bit. But love the fact i dont have to clean my tank glass very often.

Vibrant can take 20 doses plus to remove bryopsis plus cyano bacteria can be a side effect. So Fluconazole is a better target medicine

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only wear it at weekends...... :D

I'll try out fleabay and amazon too.... or maybe i'll just send the wife out to get it ! :cool:

Hey I don't judge. :D

To be honest I would probably try the 10mg/gal if that's all you can get easily. Some have has success at using a lower dosage.

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dose the recommendation, rather than fail and redose. I ended up using 3 off amazon, 3 off ebay, 3 off online, plus 1 off online. All came within 3 days.

I'm going to keep with vibrant, i have some red turf algae its taking out bi by bit. But love the fact i dont have to clean my tank glass very often.

Vibrant can take 20 doses plus to remove bryopsis plus cyano bacteria can be a side effect. So Fluconazole is a better target medicine

OK, good points..full doseage it is. I'll get some Lanthanum Chloride in too for when I stop the GFO/Carbon reactor to keep phosphates low to stop any cyano.

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go.. http://reef2reef.com/threads/bryops...using-fluconazole.285096/page-37#post-3493198

They used 5mg/gal so it probably depends on how much Bryopsis you have and/or what strain.

Thanks @NCreefguy I saw those posts, maybe it is worth a few of us yet to try fluconazole to explore lower dosings / maintenance dosings / dosing in conjunction with Magnesium / salinity / dosing after pulling all ferns out etc ...... would be good if a multi point attack on bryopsis worked any better... but not sure how much better than total elimination after 1-2 weeks could be.

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if its been posted or mentioned but the company that was mentioned as a place you can buy these tablets have raised their pricing by roughly 20% in less than a week.

Doubt its a coincidence, stock up before it goes up 200% LOL

There's a few tanks here local to me that are doing this treatment as well

Very cool IMO

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not sure if its been posted or mentioned but the company that was mentioned as a place you can buy these tablets have raised their pricing by roughly 20% in less than a week.

Doubt its a coincidence, stock up before it goes up 200% LOL

There's a few tanks here local to me that are doing this treatment as well

Very cool IMO
Haha no way! Ive been saying this for a while now, there going to know something is up when thousands of mgs are bought daily lol! Yes deffinitly a stock up

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, just ordered mine from;

https://www.payless-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html

Thanks for link @NCreefguy

I have 70 Gallon tank , so 20mg / Gallon = 1400mg and i ordered 20x200mg = 4000mg , i'll save any extra for another day / QT tank when I next get in corals ;)

Price was $30 + $15 shipping = $45 about £38 for those in the UK if interested.

Hopefully will be here in week :)

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey, first up thank you to @Sabellafella , it's always hard to put your head above the parapet before others, but by (re)bringing this possible (now probable) cure to bryopsis, and with the help of @NCreefguy and others, you have helped save many members tanks and their money too!

My story is a simple on.... My 70 gallon tank is just 18 months old, I keep it very clean, spend hours on it and have been blessed with no issues, no algae, no losses etc... and have nurtured a lovely dark green fern type macro algae in my display tank, it looked so beautiful, with its long 3 inch ferns dancing about my branch rock. I looked after it, and was glad to have my only bit of algae surviving.

Then, one day, I thought oh, its getting a little bit big, i'll pull some of it out and trim it back a little...... a week later it had grown back, and I had new patches growing in about 4 different locations around my DT and one in the sump..... hmmmm, I thought, I know it can't be bryopsis, as I have such a clean perfect tank.... so I pulled a little fern off, and looked under a magnifying glass, and searched the web..... It didn't take long to find out... It was Bryopsis Pennata!!!!!!

So ok, I started to do what others
before fluconazole was known, I pulled any rocks I could, and H2O2 dipped them, pulled and kept pulling any ferns I saw, raised Mg to over 1500, upped salinity to 1.028, increased flow and despite Vibrant costing $70 here in the UK I got some and started dosing...... 3 week later.... even more bryopsis than I started with!!! :(

So you have given me hope, rather than the entire live rock genocide I was considering - thank you!

Rob
Thank you! Youll find it dont worry. I just cant believe how expensive some of these things are for you guys. But i spoke to someone last week, grabbed from ebay uk at 10mg per gallon worked out perfectly. If i can find something, ill let you know. This treatment started in the uk (i think) so im sure you can get your hands on it

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

I have 70 Gallon tank , so 20mg / Gallon = 1400mg and i ordered 20x200mg = 4000mg , i'll save any extra for another day / QT tank when I next get in corals ;)

Wow great news! I know some people feel effy with treating their tanks, but you have nothing to worry about. Bryopsis should be gone in a week =)

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You're welcome Rob. Don't worry,you'll be Bryopsis free in a week or two.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 107 43.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 117 47.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.2%
Back