Screenshot_2017-01-28-15-19-51-1.png
almost Gone 4 days so far. Unbelievable
That looks great!

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its safe to say now it works, it works great, and 99% sure it will continue to do so. Its on the road to success. I (including everyone brave enuff to try) should feel very honored, i never seen alot of these tanks on the forum. Now they can go ahead with their aquariums and not feel ashamed of the mere invasive algae. Whats it ben 40 years going for the hobby? Bryopsis hasbeen ruining peoples drive in keeping aquariums. I almost fell myself, noone wants to take down their work and restart from scratch, it shows potential to just give up! But whats this hobby without team work, and info. Its the only thing that will keep us ahead, although it takes some trial and error. All the other algaes, bubble, gha ect.. that stuff goes away. Even dinos goes away, but that little green/blue fern- just doesnt let up. 40+ years of trying, and nothing seemed promising. Im proud of all you guys that took the plung and tried it. Now everyone can see it for themselves, that this can possibly turn their home systems for the best.
I know I was contemplating what to do next right before this treatment came up. The timing of treating with fluconazole couldn't have been better. Bryopsis was spreading faster than I could control it and it was becoming a real headache trying to do regular tank maintainance and fight it too.
I'll turn my skimmer back on the 70g at the 2 week mark and hold off on the first water change maybe for a little longer for both tanks.
So far I'm excited about the way things have turned out with this treatment.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing thread !!
Does this work ?
https://www.fishlifeantibiotics.com/products/fluconazole-200mg

Also how long will you keep the skimmer offline ?what happens if you run only halides ? Do you keep the light on normal schedule ?

Regards,
Abhishek

My skimmer is on timer, but still runs as usual during treatment. Light (led) continues as per normal schedule. Nothing is changed and yet the medication had done a very good job. No doubt!

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing thread !!
Does this work ?
https://www.fishlifeantibiotics.com/products/fluconazole-200mg

Also how long will you keep the skimmer offline ?what happens if you run only halides ? Do you keep the light on normal schedule ?

Regards,
Abhishek

That's the same thing as the stuff from Payless, I used what you linked, and had stuff come from the other source. The pills are identicle. So yes, it is, and it works!!! IT WORKS!!!!!

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_2017-01-28-15-19-47-1.png
Screenshot_2017-01-28-15-19-51-1.png
almost Gone 4 days so far. Unbelievable
Is this the tank I think it is??

This is a great find for those who are and have battled this. Hopefully no bad consequences pop up down the road. The tank I posted the pictures of earlier in the thread is still bryopsis free with no side effects.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So far observations that I've made over the last 71 hours,<br />- initial dose made both tanks cloudy for ~30 minutes.<br />-24 hours in and bryopsis was showing signs of stress. Leafy structure was starting g to develop a slight curl.<br />-all livestock was still showing all normal activity, no signs of stress. Nothing else affected.<br />-Phosphates all and nitrates were still at same levels.<br />- around 46 hours in bryopsis was showing even more signs of weakening. The distinct fern leaf structure was fading and most of the bryopsis was becoming stringy like and laying down more rather than standing upright towards the light. Color was fading from green and turning pale. <br />- all fish still maintaining their appetite and all corals,fish and inverts still showing good signs of health. <br />- Chaeto still remains intact and no signs of stress. Bubble algae doesn't seem to be affected. <br />- phosphates and nitrates still remain relatively the same, maybe a slight uptick but not very noticeable comparing to the charts.<br />- I've noticed pods in bryopsis in the 29g biocube. Not sure if they were there previously but there is a significant amount of pods moving about throughout the dying bryopsis.<br />- 71 hours into treatment and bryopsis is beginning to thin out significantly more compared to day 1 of treatment. <br />- 3 days into treatment and fish are still eating and showing strong signs of health as far as eating and being active. Corals and inverts still doing well also. Chaeto and bubble algae still appear the same as they were prior to treatment.<br /><br />In my 70g tank my 14 year old female clown got an abrasion behind her head. Not sure if she was injured from being aggressive with another fish or if she cut herself on a coral or rock. She's had abrasions and cuts from time to time but it's something that I'll have to keep an eye on during treatment.<br />
dscn5641-jpg.468201
<br /><br />-I will not check phosphates and nitrates over the next couple of days since their hasn't been much change. <br />- my 29 biocube doesn't have a skimmer and on my 70g the skimmer is off during treatment.i pulled all gfo and GAC from both tanks. I have a filter sock on the 70g drain in the sump and filter floss in chamber 2 media basket on the 29g. <br />- last water change was 1-22-17, 3 days prior to treatment on both tanks. <br />- other than bryopsis and possibly other die off, any change in phoshates and nitrates can be attributed to all of these routine maintenance and water filtration methods. <br />- like others have reported, I have noticed that in some spots in both tanks with lower or little lighting that the decline in bryopsis is much slower. I might increase led light input in both tanks for a couple of days to see if it helps. Still undecided though at the moment. <br />- I also did not account for rock work or other displacement pieces when calculating dosage. So in my case I might be a little over the calculated guideline dosage amounts that was laid out. In the 70g setup I might be slightly over but I'm pretty sure I dosed more than what was recommended in the guidelines in this thread. <br />As I've already observed, there hasn't been any declines in any of the organisms in both tanks. <br />-last thing to add so far is that I have continued to monitor and supplement the main water parameters. <br />Pretty sure I've missed something here and there but staying observant may help in the future and can improve upon what we know so far about treating bryopsis with fluconazole.<br />Hope this wasn't too much info.
Poor little fella, looks like hell be fine. Mightof just got a little scratch on something. Thanks for sharing! Like i said before, amazing observations! Very usefull
Is this the tank I think it is??

This is a great find for those who are and have battled this. Hopefully no bad consequences pop up down the road. The tank I posted the pictures of earlier in the thread is still bryopsis free with no side effects.
Unfortunately yea it is, and for a while now its been that way. But its working, so thumbs up!

GoFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my progress so far...
nzJIx7k.jpg

Getting there, to be cont....

Thanks for starting this Sabellafella! After translating that Brazilian forum and posting on RC i had given up on finding this stuff w/o a prescription. Now we have a source and bunch of poeple #winning

Cheers

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nzJIx7k.jpg

Thanks for starting this Sabellafella! After translating that Brazilian forum and posting on RC i had given up on finding this stuff w/o a prescription. Now we have a source and bunch of poeple #winning

Cheers
Great progress, glad to see the treatment is working out for you as well.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the same thing as the stuff from Payless, I used what you linked, and had stuff come from the other source. The pills are identicle. So yes, it is, and it works!!! IT WORKS!!!!!

Thanks so much for the reply. So if I understand correctly, you dose 200 mg for every 10 gallons of water. So if tank is 80 gallons, I would need 1600 mg . Its supposed to be dosed once and then wait for atleast 7 days before switching back the carbon and GFO .
Maybe 1 day before starting the skimmer back on .

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
nzJIx7k.jpg

Cheers
Very very good progress. Very happy its working

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks so much for the reply. So if I understand correctly, you dose 200 mg for every 10 gallons of water. So if tank is 80 gallons, I would need 1600 mg . Its supposed to be dosed once and then wait for atleast 7 days before switching back the carbon and GFO .

Regards,
Abhishek
yes. Its worked with equipment running as well. So w.e you basically feel comfortable with should work. Carbon is an exception though, i wouldnt run it just incase

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regards,
Abhishek

Yep that's the correct dosage, and it is a single dose. I took my carbon out and will probably return it somewhere around the 14 day mark. I don't think you need to adjust your skimmer, I set mine to skim really really dry for 3 days, but I don't think that helped/hurt any. After 3 days I didn't see any point so I returned it to normal operation.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

From individual reports, fluconazole has a pretty dramatic effect on Bryopsis!

Floconazole's direct impact on ergosterol production – known to be up to 20% of bryopsis according to at least one study we found – is also pretty direct. I think it prevents them from building or repairing their cell walls.
)

What is that 20% of that you are referring to, and what is the data?

Its not 20% of the biomass.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back