OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I rarely post on here ( or anywhere for that matter) but I just felt I had to on this one. My tank is about 2.5 years old. The first 1.5 years I was really happy with it but then a year ago the bryopsis came in and took over. Really ruined the hobby for me. Lots of amazing things going on in the tank but all I could see was the bryopsis everywhere. I tried everything and would make some inroads but could never get rid of it completely. About a week ago I tried this and its almost gone already. I see no negative effects on anything else so far. I am not naive enough to assume that it is "perfect" but it seems pretty darn close! Most importantly I am excited about my tank again!!
What a wonderfull thing to hear, im glad it worked out!

Jbod77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6774.JPG
IMG_6775.JPG
IMG_6776.JPG

Hmmmmm day 5 still alive. Maybe cause I didn't change my lighting??? I really want these little jerks to suffer and die....

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think Randy just hit the nail on the head @mcarroll!

+1

From individual reports, fluconazole has a pretty dramatic effect on Bryopsis!

Floconazole's direct impact on ergosterol production – known to be up to 20% of bryopsis according to at least one study we found – is also pretty direct. I think it prevents them from building or repairing their cell walls.

If these fungi @Randy Holmes-Farley mentioned are part of their susceptibility to fluconazole (which from what I read, fungi are also frequently composed significantly of ergosterols), that would be very interesting! :)

Science rocks!!!!

(I still wonder what other organisms might also be composed of significant amounts of ergosterols.)

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6774.JPG
IMG_6775.JPG
IMG_6776.JPG

Hmmmmm day 5 still alive. Maybe cause I didn't change my lighting??? I really want these little ******** to suffer and die....
From what I can see in your photos it looks like there is quite a bit that has changed color. I'm only just over 2 days into my treatment and can see a big difference in what is was like before treatment.
I didn't change anything as far as my lighting. I'm running led/t5 combo on both of my tanks for a total of 10.5 hours a day.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of this makes me think that likely the fungus that shares a relationship with byopsis must also make the bryopsis unpalatable to many things. It didn't take long for my diverse clean up crew to exploit it as a resource after dosing the fluconazole. Pretty awesome!

+1

I think you may have hit the nail on the head! I glanced right over that part of your comment on the first read through and it's not something we even thought about in research!!!

+1

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6774.JPG
IMG_6775.JPG
IMG_6776.JPG

Hmmmmm day 5 still alive. Maybe cause I didn't change my lighting??? I really want these little ******** to suffer and die....

I agree there is lots changing in your pics. Hard to tell from your photos but you may have several different algaes. I wouldn't lose hope, nearly all of the stuff on my rocks is clear or completely gone now, but there is some inside the cages of my Panta Rhei pumps the snails can't get too, and it is just now starting to become noticeably unhappy.

(I also didn't change anything with my lights)

Last edited:

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, those under the shades last longer than those directly under intense light. I didn't change anything on mine. Every equipment continue to run normally. Still no sign of it at this moment.

ScottWolver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, those under the shades last longer than those directly under intense light. I didn't change anything on mine. Every equipment continue to run normally. Still no sign of it at this moment.
Now that you mention it I agree with your observation. I am only 7 days in with almost all gone, but the areas where it is going slower are the areas that are the most shaded. Not exactly what I would have expected.

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's also something that I've noticed in my tanks as well. The parts of the tanks that are receiving lower or little light are slower to die back. You can still see those pieces dying back however but just at a slower rate.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you mention it I agree with your observation. I am only 7 days in with almost all gone, but the areas where it is going slower are the areas that are the most shaded. Not exactly what I would have expected.

Yup. I relocate my tabling sps somewhere else due to a patches of it directly under the colony. Can hear them screaming in pain

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@Sabellafella BIG thank you for starting this thread!! You led me to a Bryopsis free tank that I didn't think would ever happen. I am so so grateful
Your welcome! Im greatfull this stuff is actually working for everyone, and this info has brought attention to everyone including vendors, members and including my buddy. Such such a relief!

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's also something that I've noticed in my tanks as well. The parts of the tanks that are receiving lower or little light are slower to die back. You can still see those pieces dying back however but just at a slower rate.

Yup. I relocate my tabling sps somewhere else due to a patches of it directly under the colony. Can hear them screaming in pain

Is it the lower lighting or the lower flow? I would think that it's flow, the medication needs to reach all areas, so readjusting your pumps for the week may be a good idea.

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far observations that I've made over the last 71 hours,<br />- initial dose made both tanks cloudy for ~30 minutes.<br />-24 hours in and bryopsis was showing signs of stress. Leafy structure was starting g to develop a slight curl.<br />-all livestock was still showing all normal activity, no signs of stress. Nothing else affected.<br />-Phosphates all and nitrates were still at same levels.<br />- around 46 hours in bryopsis was showing even more signs of weakening. The distinct fern leaf structure was fading and most of the bryopsis was becoming stringy like and laying down more rather than standing upright towards the light. Color was fading from green and turning pale. <br />- all fish still maintaining their appetite and all corals,fish and inverts still showing good signs of health. <br />- Chaeto still remains intact and no signs of stress. Bubble algae doesn't seem to be affected. <br />- phosphates and nitrates still remain relatively the same, maybe a slight uptick but not very noticeable comparing to the charts.<br />- I've noticed pods in bryopsis in the 29g biocube. Not sure if they were there previously but there is a significant amount of pods moving about throughout the dying bryopsis.<br />- 71 hours into treatment and bryopsis is beginning to thin out significantly more compared to day 1 of treatment. <br />- 3 days into treatment and fish are still eating and showing strong signs of health as far as eating and being active. Corals and inverts still doing well also. Chaeto and bubble algae still appear the same as they were prior to treatment.<br /><br />In my 70g tank my 14 year old female clown got an abrasion behind her head. Not sure if she was injured from being aggressive with another fish or if she cut herself on a coral or rock. She's had abrasions and cuts from time to time but it's something that I'll have to keep an eye on during treatment.<br />
dscn5641-jpg.468201
<br /><br />-I will not check phosphates and nitrates over the next couple of days since their hasn't been much change. <br />- my 29 biocube doesn't have a skimmer and on my 70g the skimmer is off during treatment.i pulled all gfo and GAC from both tanks. I have a filter sock on the 70g drain in the sump and filter floss in chamber 2 media basket on the 29g. <br />- last water change was 1-22-17, 3 days prior to treatment on both tanks. <br />- other than bryopsis and possibly other die off, any change in phoshates and nitrates can be attributed to all of these routine maintenance and water filtration methods. <br />- like others have reported, I have noticed that in some spots in both tanks with lower or little lighting that the decline in bryopsis is much slower. I might increase led light input in both tanks for a couple of days to see if it helps. Still undecided though at the moment. <br />- I also did not account for rock work or other displacement pieces when calculating dosage. So in my case I might be a little over the calculated guideline dosage amounts that was laid out. In the 70g setup I might be slightly over but I'm pretty sure I dosed more than what was recommended in the guidelines in this thread. <br />As I've already observed, there hasn't been any declines in any of the organisms in both tanks. <br />-last thing to add so far is that I have continued to monitor and supplement the main water parameters. <br />Pretty sure I've missed something here and there but staying observant may help in the future and can improve upon what we know so far about treating bryopsis with fluconazole.<br />Hope this wasn't too much info.

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been posting photos in the other thread since I found that one first in the beginning prior to and during the beginning of my treatments. Just found out about this thread a day or so ago but I'll try and update my treatment and observations in both.
Thanks to sabella and NCreefguy for starting these threads.

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been posting photos in the other thread since I found that one first in the beginning prior to and during the beginning of my treatments. Just found out about this thread a day or so ago but I'll try and update my treatment and observations in both.
Thanks to sabella and NCreefguy for starting these threads.

The word is getting around about this and that's what is important. The more that everyone keeps posting their pics and experiences,the better.Everyone needs to know about this.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The word is getting around about this and that's what is important. The more that everyone keeps posting their pics and experiences,the better.Everyone needs to know about this.
Its safe to say now it works, it works great, and 99% sure it will continue to do so. Its on the road to success. I (including everyone brave enuff to try) should feel very honored, i never seen alot of these tanks on the forum. Now they can go ahead with their aquariums and not feel ashamed of the mere invasive algae. Whats it ben 40 years going for the hobby? Bryopsis hasbeen ruining peoples drive in keeping aquariums. I almost fell myself, noone wants to take down their work and restart from scratch, it shows potential to just give up! But whats this hobby without team work, and info. Its the only thing that will keep us ahead, although it takes some trial and error. All the other algaes, bubble, gha ect.. that stuff goes away. Even dinos goes away, but that little green/blue fern- just doesnt let up. 40+ years of trying, and nothing seemed promising. Im proud of all you guys that took the plung and tried it. Now everyone can see it for themselves, that this can possibly turn their home systems for the best.

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its safe to say now it works, it works great, and 99% sure it will continue to do so. Its on the road to success. I (including everyone brave enuff to try) should feel very honored, i never seen alot of these tanks on the forum. Now they can go ahead with their aquariums and not feel ashamed of the mere invasive algae. Whats it ben 40 years going for the hobby? Bryopsis hasbeen ruining peoples drive in keeping aquariums. I almost fell myself, noone wants to take down their work and restart from scratch, it shows potential to just give up! But whats this hobby without team work, and info. Its the only thing that will keep us ahead, although it takes some trial and error. All the other algaes, bubble, gha ect.. that stuff goes away. Even dinos goes away, but that little green/blue fern- just doesnt let up. 40+ years of trying, and nothing seemed promising. Im proud of all you guys that took the plung and tried it. Now everyone can see it for themselves, that this can possibly turn their home systems for the best.

It would have saved me a lot of headache years ago that's for sure. I feel bad for the people that have quit reefing through the years because of Bryopsis. Hopefully catching word of this will encourage some of those people to come back. This is definitely a huge step towards reefing with healthier tanks. I can't wait to see more before and after pics.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back