fluconazole x bryopsis

Jbod77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used 10 capsules then you're good to go. You probably have around 100 gal total water volume so 2000mg is right on the money. :)

You have 5 left of the 15?...Or you ordered 20.....dosed 15 and have 5 left?

I dosed 15 and ordered 20

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a good question though...there definitely seems to be different strands of bryopsis...some that are easily killed off, and some that are literally impossible, so this may take some time to get a general success gauge.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@Sabellafella, thanks for the heads up on this! Seriously! My bryopsis is in it's death knell. Things have happened in the last 72 hours that I never thought could be possible.
Amazing stuff. I just cant get over how well its working out, hopefully this info will get out there for everyone.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Screenshot_2017-01-26-22-47-25-1.png
Heres my buddys tank, has hundred upon hundred of species of everything in his tank. So hopefully this will work for him, his system is beautiful and almost all his work is just haulted by this algae. Cant wait to see results!

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This stuff works very well. I am free from bryopsis since last december after 18days being treated with flucon. Mixed reef, fishes, inverts and urchins survived with no sign of effects whatsoever.

IMG-20170125-WA0030.jpg

IMG-20170125-WA0002.jpg

WP_20170126_18_48_39_Pro.jpg
One of the first! Thanks for sharing, your tank looks great!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just add a possible mechanism that is beyond thinking the fluconazole directly kills the bryopsis and few other tank species.

Certain fungi (such as Rhizophydium littoreum) are known to grow on bryopsis (Bryopsis plumosa) and not on many other algae types.

That relationship is not known to be required or to be mutually beneficial (probably not been actually evaluated scientifically), but it does connect an antifungal to bryopsis in particular.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This stuff works very well. I am free from bryopsis since last december after 18days being treated with flucon. Mixed reef, fishes, inverts and urchins survived with no sign of effects whatsoever.

IMG-20170125-WA0030.jpg

IMG-20170125-WA0002.jpg

WP_20170126_18_48_39_Pro.jpg

Beautiful reef!

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would just add a possible mechanism that is beyond thinking the fluconazole directly kills the bryopsis and few other tank species.

Certain fungi (such as Rhizophydium littoreum) are known to grow on bryopsis (Bryopsis plumosa) and not on many other algae types.

That relationship is not known to be required or to be mutually beneficial (probably not been actually evaluated scientifically), but it does connect an antifungal to bryopsis in particular.
Thanks randy,very very good info here!

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think Randy just hit the nail on the head @mcarroll!

ScottWolver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely post on here ( or anywhere for that matter) but I just felt I had to on this one. My tank is about 2.5 years old. The first 1.5 years I was really happy with it but then a year ago the bryopsis came in and took over. Really ruined the hobby for me. Lots of amazing things going on in the tank but all I could see was the bryopsis everywhere. I tried everything and would make some inroads but could never get rid of it completely. About a week ago I tried this and its almost gone already. I see no negative effects on anything else so far. I am not naive enough to assume that it is "perfect" but it seems pretty darn close! Most importantly I am excited about my tank again!!

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely post on here ( or anywhere for that matter) but I just felt I had to on this one. My tank is about 2.5 years old. The first 1.5 years I was really happy with it but then a year ago the bryopsis came in and took over. Really ruined the hobby for me. Lots of amazing things going on in the tank but all I could see was the bryopsis everywhere. I tried everything and would make some inroads but could never get rid of it completely. About a week ago I tried this and its almost gone already. I see no negative effects on anything else so far. I am not naive enough to assume that it is "perfect" but it seems pretty darn close! Most importantly I am excited about my tank again!!

Very nice! It feels good to be able to enjoy your tank again without the struggle of dealing with Bryopsis doesn't it.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glad you didn't quit!!! Think how many others haven't stuck it out for so long! Pests like bryopsis and dinos don't just hurt your corals and tank, they hurt your pride and your bank account. My back is already thankful my bryopsis is dying and magically being transformed into biomass

All of this makes me think that likely the fungus that shares a relationship with byopsis must also make the bryopsis unpalatable to many things. It didn't take long for my diverse clean up crew to exploit it as a resource after dosing the fluconazole. Pretty awesome!

ScottWolver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you didn't quit!!! Think how many others haven't stuck it out for so long! Pests like bryopsis and dinos don't just hurt your corals and tank, they hurt your pride and your bank account. My back is already thankful my bryopsis is dying and magically being transformed into biomass

All of this makes me think that likely the fungus that shares a relationship with byopsis must also make the bryopsis unpalatable to many things. It didn't take long for my diverse clean up crew to exploit it as a resource after dosing the fluconazole. Pretty awesome!

That makes an incredible amount of sense. While I wouldn't wish bryopsis on anybody ( especially myself!!!!) it represents the thing I like about this hobby the most. That is for all of the "science" and "knowledge" we employ in these ecosystems of ours there is still so many things we do not know. Perhaps this is now one thing that can be added to the "we know how to deal with..." column but there will always be something else. I for one hope we never figure it all out...I like a little mystery in my life and my tank.....as long as it isn't bryopsis that is!!!!!!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back