Fungus/Tail Rot/Nothing? - Blue Tang in QT

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did a comparison test of my QT water (yes I did 50% WC, but the test kept reading JUST like it did before!) vs fresh mixed salt water (right tube).... andddd they look the same.

I may have missed it--are you using RODI water to mix your salt water or tap water? My city water has detectable levels of ammonia in it from time to time.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it--are you using RODI water to mix your salt water or tap water? My city water has detectable levels of ammonia in it from time to time.
Rodi.
I performed multiple tests after, mixing in different containers & such and all appears well now. Guess I'll just have to keep a closer eye on it to be safe

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately that doesn't look like lymph since it's not a nodule sticking out off the tail. It does look like an infection setting in. You can treat that with kanaplex or furan2 to clear that up before starting copper treatment (minimum 10 days of treatment and longer may be needed). You could also add vitamins like vitachem or selcon to the food and see if he can heal it up on his own.

I prefer coppersafe and you'll need the API kit for that. (2ppm for 30 days) Hippo tangs are pretty tollerant of copper but make sure you take several days to slowly bring the levels up to 2ppm. The bottle directs you to do it too quickly so calculate how much total copper you will need to add per how many gallons you are using then divide that by 4. That's how much you will dose each day. Test daily and add more if needed.
Starting to believe it to be Lymph now. Was considering stopping the pimafix/melafix and switching to the Kanaplex, but if indeed it is Lymph, then kanaplx won't help, correct?
Looks similar to your post in https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lymphocystis.257461/
And only thing for me to do is add vitamins?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree. this is looking exactly like Lymph. That's why it's growing. I don't know if it's the better pictures or what, but I'm definite that it's lymph at this point.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree. this is looking exactly like Lymph. That's why it's growing. I don't know if it's the better pictures or what, but I'm definite that it's lymph at this point.
Awesome, really good to know (I think) lol
Plus it could be a combination since there is a piece of the tail missing that still needs to regrow, so we don't know exactly if anything is going on under the lymph. So I'll continue on my 14x day use of pima n mela

So the only thing I can do is vitamins, correct?

I assume "picking" it of the tail would be unadvisable?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vitamins, low stress and pristine water quality.

Right. don't do that...it will go away on it's own. Think of it like a cold sore in humans.
thank you very much once again! Similar to cold sore means it can come back than yeah?

Thanks again, your one of the most helpful here that's for sure!

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I wonder how they would treat it if it was a child in an adoption house... Hmm.

Can we allow for one more random Matthew question? Yeah? Cool!

Do you guys recommend drilling a few holes on the lid for qt? It's not sealed tight, as I cut a corner for wires, and a much bigger section for the HOB, (it's just a clear plastic container lid I cut to fit).

Should I drill a few holes in random areas to allow additional air to enter, and gasses to leave?

I have one power head @ 1 hob 20galrated filter on this 10 gal tank agitating & circulating water.

Thanks!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I wonder how they would treat it if it was a child in an adoption house... Hmm.

Can we allow for one more random Matthew question? Yeah? Cool!

Do you guys recommend drilling a few holes on the lid for qt? It's not sealed tight, as I cut a corner for wires, and a much bigger section for the HOB, (it's just a clear plastic container lid I cut to fit).

Should I drill a few holes in random areas to allow additional air to enter, and gasses to leave?

I have one power head @ 1 hob 20galrated filter on this 10 gal tank agitating & circulating water.

Thanks!

Yes, you want as much gas exchange as you can get. I don't like solid lids for several reasons. They cut back on gas exchange and provide an unyielding surface that jumping fish can be injured with. If you can at some point, you can make a mesh lid for your QTs and that would be ideal.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you want as much gas exchange as you can get. I don't like solid lids for several reasons. They cut back on gas exchange and provide an unyielding surface that jumping fish can be injured with. If you can at some point, you can make a mesh lid for your QTs and that would be ideal.
Ok, I'll do that in the mean time until I construct a new lid. With hotter times a few months away, it'll most likely help with evaporative cooling as well.

Thought a solid lid would be great to keep my German shepherd's hair out, but as you suggested, a finer mess is probably best

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'll do that in the mean time until I construct a new lid. With hotter times a few months away, it'll most likely help with evaporative cooling as well.

Thought a solid lid would be great to keep my German shepherd's hair out, but as you suggested, a finer mess is probably best

There is so much of my dog's hair floating around my house that it always ends up in the tanks at least a little.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is so much of my dog's hair floating around my house that it always ends up in the tanks at least a little.
#hairydogproblems lol

One last question regarding treating for prazi (after) I'm done w/ copper.

The bottle says "for baths", but no other direction. Listed @ 1tsp per 20gal. So should I dose 2.5ml for my 10gal QT?
And should I do 2x treatments (with 3x days inbetween), and that's it? Then just water change after 3x days from last treatment and toss carbon back?

Cheers!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ok, one more question lol
How often do you guys clean your filters in qt, from sucked up food & what not? Once a week sufficient during a water change?

It's it ok to just rinse under the sink, or can that harm the bacteria, etc.

Thanks!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ok, one more question lol
How often do you guys clean your filters in qt, from sucked up food & what not? Once a week sufficient during a water change?

It's it ok to just rinse under the sink, or can that harm the bacteria, etc.

Thanks!

During a water change it's a good idea to take the sponge out and swish it in the old tank water just to knock the big stuff off it. You don't want to run it under tap.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 - Tapwater is likely to contain chlorine, the purpose of which is to kill bacteria in the city's municipal plumbing system. That's not going to be popular with your biofilter bacteria . . .

When I do a water change on my QT, I'll take the bio-media bag from the Aqua-Clear, toss it into an empty bucket, and run a fast siphon into it to knock any debris loose, then drop the bag into the QT and empty that bucket. When the next bucket is full, I'll take the sponge out of the filter and squish it and swish it in the tank water I'm about to toss out. (It'll get pretty gross, but I'm going to flush it, so . . . ) Replace the media into the filter, replace the water in the tank - and if it's not too late in the evening, prep a meal for the fish.

~Bruce

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back