Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how this went from a site making a mistake in pricing to lawsuits over it. Kind of amazing and really does reflect where we are as a society.
I don’t care what it is , if I was to buy something at a giving price and was informed they made a mistake and couldn’t honor it , so be it.

JohnnyKnuckles

FragTags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing. You've spoken for the entire universe.
Now FishyFishy….you have been here from the beginning taking some heat. But ya gotta let go at some point. More and more people are starting to respond to you in a negative way. If not, you are just opening your self up to being trolled by someone who is at some point gonna make an example out of you in something else just for supposed tattling. Lol

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol no it has not in fact I posted a weblink that showed the example of multiple pricing errors - sone the company refunded some they honored. You must not have been reading the same thread?
this wasn't a discussion of "pricing errors" it was a discussion of the validity of the Terms and Conditions page. Which has been established that: Notice needs to be prominent and stand out so the average website user can’t miss it. Your visitors shouldn’t have to “stumble upon” a link to any of your website agreements.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how this went from a site making a mistake in pricing to lawsuits over it. Kind of amazing and really does reflect where we are as a society.
I don’t care what it is , if I was to buy something at a giving price and was informed they made a mistake and couldn’t honor it , so be it.
There has always been a difference between what people can do and what people should do. Same for what the law mandates and what people should do on their own accord.

It used to be that the law was limited in application and people were much more free. The saying "don't make a federal case out it"--comes to mind.

Now, following nutty states like California--everything is mandated by law from what goes in your trash to what you can say outloud. It's nuts and ridiculous IMO and we are worse off for it.

If it was up to me, i would cut all governments to 1/100 of their current size, and strip state and federal laws down to the constitution, and start over. Starting with the tax code.

UnderwaterGamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R Civil War wasn't on my 2022 Bingo Card
the adventures of pete and pete 90s GIF

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this wasn't a discussion of "pricing errors" it was a discussion of the validity of the Terms and Conditions page. Which has been established that: Notice needs to be prominent and stand out so the average website user can’t miss it. Your visitors shouldn’t have to “stumble upon” a link to any of your website agreements.
Again that related to a case for free software and trying to trick the consumer into something else. The case is in no way related to a pricing mistake. There is plenty of case law for that and how they do not have to honor when it is outlined on their website.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consumers saw a chance at an amazing deal and took it. They're hoping it will work in their favor, but are sensible enough to recognize the legitimacy of BRS cancelling. This is the overwhelming majority of those who ordered.

The ethical debate is ridiculous, in my opinion. There is none.

I'm certain no one will pursue this legally if they do cancel, but the debate is fun to read.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again that related to a case for free software and trying to trick the consumer into something else. The case is in no way related to a pricing mistake.
Again, the law is not as specific as "pricing mistake" it uses broad language to encompass MANY other cases. It's done this way for a reason. A terms and conditions issue can then be used across multiple types of Terms and Conditions issues.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
established where and how? this whole discussion is getting ridiculous - there are multiple examples on the internet about companies honoring or not honoring pricing errors, right?

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was up to me, i would cut all governments to 1/100 of their current size, and strip state and federal laws down to the constitution, and start over. Starting with the tax code.
would be a good start in my opinion too. But let’s not turn this thread political! That’ll surely get it locked up.

corey

JohnnyKnuckles

FragTags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know one thing we agree one….If someone only reads one page…and then posts a pic of the “Bulk Reef Terms” all of us can agree to go postal.

Not like we got 750 comments in and then thought……Maybe we should check the terms!!!! @Mywifeisgunnakillme and @BroccoliFarmer can both recite them by memory.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Per consumer reports:​

The sign in the store says the computer printer is $2.49, but it rang up at $249. Saying it was an error, the store is refusing to honor the posted price.​

The law​

It's generally a myth that retailers must honor a posted price if it's simply a mistake, although some stores might do so as a matter of policy or on a case-by-case basis. The issue gets murky if the retailer begins processing the order, something that is more likely to happen online, says Jane Winn, a professor at the University of Washington Law School. But even then, she says, a merchant might be able to cancel the purchase if the price was so low that a buyer should have known it was mistake. An online retailer's fine print may relieve it of the duty to fulfill orders based on pricing errors.

You should know​

Businesses that intentionally post false prices or that otherwise engage in bait-and-switch pricing can be liable under federal and state consumer-protection statutes.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny part is even tho I said it was wrong and brs does not have to honor it I just started to feel jealous of the ones who got them lol. I’m a roller coaster I know :) the feeling should pass when brs cancels the orders lol

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
established where and how? this whole discussion is getting ridiculous - there are multiple examples on the internet about companies honoring or not honoring pricing errors, right?
Not court decided cases

Per consumer reports:​

The sign in the store says the computer printer is $2.49, but it rang up at $249. Saying it was an error, the store is refusing to honor the posted price.​

The law​

It's generally a myth that retailers must honor a posted price if it's simply a mistake, although some stores might do so as a matter of policy or on a case-by-case basis. The issue gets murky if the retailer begins processing the order, something that is more likely to happen online, says Jane Winn, a professor at the University of Washington Law School. But even then, she says, a merchant might be able to cancel the purchase if the price was so low that a buyer should have known it was mistake. An online retailer's fine print may relieve it of the duty to fulfill orders based on pricing errors.

You should know​

Businesses that intentionally post false prices or that otherwise engage in bait-and-switch pricing can be liable under federal and state consumer-protection statutes.
So, what is new here?

P.S. most law professors take that job cause it's cushy or they can't hack it in the trenches of court.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back