Giesemann vs ATI--help me out?!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That reminds me the Giesemann Genesis should be out soon and have heard nothing..
Should be a decent better priced hybrid fixture.

Last edited:

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say the ATI TRUE ACTINIC is probably the best bulb on the market, but so ugly. It leaves a nasty purple line down the live rock. Checkout my 40B Knasty video YouTube. Running the 2xblue plus and then I switch it and comment 2xBlue+, Coral+, True Actinic..
Why not add 2 pic difference.
2xB+
IMG_20170410_120911.jpg

2xB+ C+ TA
IMG_20170410_120854.jpg

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

All I got to say is I have owned both and would take the Matrixx any day over ATI.. I had a Matrixx over a 90 and grew sps like crazy and the colors were awsum.. It replaced a ATI fixture that was trouble. I have another ATi fixture over my frag tanks and it is dead 100 percent. Nothing but fan and ballast and power supply issues after a couple of years usage.. I will take a little less par and shorter lamp life to those headaches.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I got to say is I have owned both and would take the Matrixx any day over ATI.. I had a Matrixx over a 90 and grew sps like crazy and the colors were awsum.. It replaced a ATI fixture that was trouble. I have another ATi fixture over my frag tanks and it is dead 100 percent. Nothing but fan and ballast and power supply issues after a couple of years usage.. I will take a little less par and shorter lamp life to those headaches.

That's fair, I'm a fan of the rock solid non dimmable ATI T5 fixtures but to each their own. When you factor in price versus performance of both non dimmable fixtures, sure, the Gieseman fixture is prettier, but at the end of the day the performance numbers don't lie.

In the above, I meant to stress non dimmable, as no doubt, the reliability and longevity of the dimmable fixtures leave much to be desired IMO.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's fair, I'm a fan of the rock solid non dimmable ATI T5 fixtures but to each their own. When you factor in price versus performance of both non dimmable fixtures, sure, the Gieseman fixture is prettier, but at the end of the day the performance numbers don't lie.

In the above, I meant to stress non dimmable, as no doubt, the reliability and longevity of the dimmable fixtures leave much to be desired IMO.

Par matters so little now a days. If you buy a quality fixture no matter Metal halide, T-5, led, hybrid they all put out plenty of par unless you have a really deep tank.

All my t-5 fixtures are non-dimmable because T-5 lamps are not meant to be dimmed and it hurts life and spectrum of the lamps.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 69 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

Back