Gilroy 425g Build Thread (All Apex, all the time)

Damion

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear they're going to be quite expensive. ($1,000+ at this complexity) I hope Neptune can simplify it, perhaps down to a single probe. Have fun T.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear they're going to be quite expensive. ($1,000+ at this complexity) I hope Neptune can simplify it, perhaps down to a single probe. Have fun T.
If you are waiting for a $125 alk probe, let me break the news to you, it's not going to happen.

I encourage you to read some articles and posts from RHF on this topic. Alk and Calcium are much tougher to make an inexpensive measurement system and doing something that will be long term accurate, inexpensive, in-situ, and not a PITA to keep calibrated is near impossible.

We believe that the methodology in this device is the best intersection of ease of use, accuracy, precision, and cost that will enable us to bring a great tool to the arsenal of the average reef hobbyist at less than the cost of one LED light fixture. (which was written intentionally to imply the same kind of thing as "bigger than a bread box").

I know that many will want to make this a Q&A on the device, but now, back to my build... :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A little something I get to test...

upload_2016-11-28_19-16-14.png

Jealous...

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Terence (whoops spelled ur name wrong sorry) I was wondering what bulbs u are using in the rb metal halides and if u liked them or tried any other ones I'm thinking about getting the twin arc 14k . Also how high are u hanging them above the tank and how deep is ur tank? And one last question what is the length of time u run the leds and the metal halides. I just bought two and am looking for some help. Thanks I truly enjoy ur build and am happy that u are testing the alk because that means it is one step closer to us the consumer.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the ReefBrite 14k twin arc 250W bulbs. They seem to be working great. I think the color is a bit more whit/yellow than other 14K I have used though. But that is just my eye - nothing scientific.

My tank is 32" deep and the bottom edge of the RB MH fixture is about 1" off the top edge of the glass or about 4" from the water when the canopy is closed.

My MH run 4.5 hours. I do not have them dimming up and down right now because the amount of dimming was minimal so I am using those variable channels for my LED for now.

The RB LED actinic strips run for 14 hours (7a-9p) but they ramp up from 0 to peak at 80% at 2PM and then down to 0 at 9p.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made a mistake on my calcium reactor programming last week before the holiday weekend and did not realize it until monday. Basically my DOS was not pushing water through it for all those days so my Alk fell from 10 to 7. This was a perfect test for the Alkalinity monitor we are developing. I got the CRx back online and getting fed water again and then used the Alk monitor to watch the climb. I had a couple of prototype issues (to be expected) but for the last 24 hours or so it has been tracking the tanks dKH rise back to 9.5-10 pretty effectively.

upload_2016-12-1_8-54-5.png

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it should be noted that I am running the testing at a 30 minute interval. That will soon change to 4x a day and then probably 2x a day. Under normal circumstances there really is not a long term reason to run it at a high frequency and burn reagent. The exceptions would be the situation like I have here where I needed to get the CRx back online and then see that the trend is going like it should.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the ReefBrite 14k twin arc 250W bulbs. They seem to be working great. I think the color is a bit more whit/yellow than other 14K I have used though. But that is just my eye - nothing scientific.

My tank is 32" deep and the bottom edge of the RB MH fixture is about 1" off the top edge of the glass or about 4" from the water when the canopy is closed.

My MH run 4.5 hours. I do not have them dimming up and down right now because the amount of dimming was minimal so I am using those variable channels for my LED for now.

The RB LED actinic strips run for 14 hours (7a-9p) but they ramp up from 0 to peak at 80% at 2PM and then down to 0 at 9p.
Thank you for this information maby u can help us (me and @Willz ) on what cables u use to ramp the xhos up and down with ur apex thanks again for a great build

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this information maby u can help us (me and @Willz ) on what cables u use to ramp the xhos up and down with ur apex thanks again for a great build
Reef Brite has a device they sell that the power supplies plug into and it has two Apex-Ready cables that come out and go to the jacks on your Apex or VDM. Check my past posts and you should see pics. Contact ReefBrite (Tullio) for more info.

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Brite has a device they sell that the power supplies plug into and it has two Apex-Ready cables that come out and go to the jacks on your Apex or VDM. Check my past posts and you should see pics. Contact ReefBrite (Tullio) for more info.

Thanks! I'll see what I can find!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have sent him an email and he hasn't gotten back to me yet I'm sure he is busy as he has always gotten back to me thanks again for the info now with this cable I should not have to use any outlets on the eb8 correct since it connect to the vdm? Great info thanks for always answering peoples annoying questions

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I made a mistake on my calcium reactor programming last week before the holiday weekend and did not realize it until monday. Basically my DOS was not pushing water through it for all those days so my Alk fell from 10 to 7. This was a perfect test for the Alkalinity monitor we are developing. I got the CRx back online and getting fed water again and then used the Alk monitor to watch the climb. I had a couple of prototype issues (to be expected) but for the last 24 hours or so it has been tracking the tanks dKH rise back to 9.5-10 pretty effectively.

upload_2016-12-1_8-54-5.png

I seriously can't wait to be able to do this. I think this is going to be one of the biggest things to happen in the hobby in many years!

Fishlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed any interesting trends or made changes since implementing the alk monitor ?

Fishpalace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was slow going down and slow going up. So, as of yet, I have not noticed any issues.

How long do it take to move from 7 back to desired level? I had a similar issue and moved up from 7 to 9 over a 2 day period without issue.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have run the prototype for a few days on this tank. Obviously I can't say much more than once you have something like this - you never want to give it up!

The alk swing has been over three or four days so no issues.

Luc Vogels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting to perceive what the ALK level will do during a water change.
Does it peak, how fast does it stabilize... or does it have extremely limited impact.
Terence are you planning a 10%+ water change in the near future :)?
Very interesting, I am following this!

(ps. good to read the Corals are doing great under the CoralCare fixtures)

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a "normal" water change before the TG holiday and before connecting this. I don't think it will show much change as the salt is rated for 10-12dkh I believe. My water changes happen when I remember. Around every four weeks. I generally change out about 17% of the total water volume (~600g)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back