OP
cilyjr

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup. Heat was never an issue for me really. No need for a chiller in a finished basement in New England. But I used to get some spikes in spring and fall when the central air isn't needed. Usually only to about 81f though

OP
OP
cilyjr

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All are hung and fired up. The new system is 2 lumatek and 1 sunlight supply e ballasts. I was a little worried you might be able to tell the difference but you cannot. The reflectors are Lumen Max Elites. In the bulbs are 250 watt radium 20K. There is no supplemental lighting at this time. I may add some little moonlight just for fun. But I don't think the radium bulb really needs T5 supplementation.
A few things I had forgotten about from when I had metal halide previously.
1. The tank seems much brighter. And I don't mean light spill into the room as my cabinet is sealed and felt has been placed to stop any light spell (it's always been like this). I remember when I hung the soul-blues years ago thinking they didn't seem as bright. I'm sure it has something to do with how an LED doesn't spread light well.
2. There was a certain iridescents in my yellow tangs fins that have been missing but immediately came back. That makes me happy.
3. They really let you see every particle in piece of crap floating in the water too. I think I will start running a filter sock and active carbon again.

Pictures...

OP
OP
cilyjr

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks all. I started filter floss and activated carbon to clear the water up.

I had thought my water was pretty clear but the halides really highlight every particle floating around.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great and I am thrilled you are happy! We have a lot of great lighting choices in the hobby now and I always enjoy seeing someone picking what they like and being happy with it! I personally strongly dislike halides and it's cool there are several viable choices.

OP
OP
cilyjr

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man am I happy with the lights. After running carbon for a while and filter floss. My water is starting to clear up.

On a side note when poking around in the fish room I noticed the room lights we're put up with very substandard wiring. They split it out of the box so they only ran hot to the single pole switch in the wall while running neutral directly to the lights so it was all unsheathed and running in some very weird patterns. But I found it unsettling, there was even a place where the drilled through a beam but the hole was too small and when they forced the wiring through it ripped up the plastic coating and some bare copper was exposed. So I spent the day return wiring all the lights. My fish tank is on two 20 amp dedicated circuit so none of that was affected. But still a little scary what people did back in the day (I'm guessing late 60s early 70s)

billrob71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great
Not only did I go back to halides but also VHO's, T5's are ok but there is no better glow then a UVL VHO.
I run 3 250 hqi Phoenix, 2 454 VHOs and 2 420 VHOs with 2 6 foot led sun bright tubes and the tank looks perfect inn my eyes
300 marine land double deep tank

OP
OP
cilyjr

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My wife bought me a fire tablet to use as an apex display yesterday! I had been saying I want one. I feel so high tech.

20170208_093847_zpswutyjzgt.jpg

Until I see my fresh water top off bucket.
20170208_094445_zpsrxfru9r6.jpg

lsingh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switching back to halides does give a complete new look to my tank . Seems like older days and much natural .. I am running radiums on coral vue super Lumens setting like HQI and gives me a very nice crisp blue whitish look . To me no different than running on a magnetic ballast as I have done that in past and really no difference to eyes . I might supplement with leds but really seems no need .

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running the same. Luxcore super lumen 250w radiums. Although I supplement with reefbrite, it's kind of drowned out during the day, but I don't have it on 100% since I don't want to blast it 1 hour before and after halides.

OP
OP
cilyjr

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did add one of these old 4 foot icecap moonlight strips I had from a few years ago. Just because I don't like the tank pitch black.

icecap-led-moonlight-1.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the radium. Hoping they aren't more blue then the old phoenix 14k se bulb was. I used to run it without supplementation

What do you think now that they're up? Ususally the "extra blue" is from the other ballast setting. :) Radiums are the best.

You replace them yearly.

That's not set in stone at all – it's according to usage.

If they're on about 6 hours a day, then once a year ought to do it (depending a little on ballasts).

If you're doing an all-day schedule (which isn't usually called for, but...) then it's twice a year. I ran mine both ways at different points.

(I'd recommend 6 hours if it's compatible with your viewing schedule.....so expensive!!! The DIY LED system I replaced my halides with 4-5 years ago costs less to build than a single set of new bulbs. LOL)

My house stays at about 68 in the winter and 75 in the summer. With central air.

The excess heat from the lights (and all equipment) will go to your AC bill ($) even if it doesn't directly impact the tank temp. Whether you care about that is another question, but the expense is there without a doubt. ;)

I have noo real plans as of yet. My Sol blues are running at 95% so I'm not too worried. If something starts to bleach out I'll move it lower.

I wonder if the whole idea of acclimating coral to lighting might be unnecessary.

I would acquire at least a lux meter so you can make some comparisons.....guessing in 2017 is just silly. A handheld lux meter costs about as much as a nice lunch somewhere. :D (If you can get a PAR meter so much the better, but don't go without just due to their expense....get a meter of some kind to have around.)

The tank seems much brighter.

That's because it is brighter AND the light is spread at a much wider angle. You'll probably notice more algae growing on the glass for this reason too. You can see in the open-canopy shot that you would be spilling light like crazy if that was the normal config. Those are WIDE REFLECTORS. ;) AI Sol's are narrow narrow! 70º/40º lenses, so no joke...they are very, very narrow.

Until I see my fresh water top off bucket.

Do you have two-legged rats to keep out, or why the duct tape? :D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back