Going back to halide after 4+ years with LED

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my first and only led fixture didn't keep my bubble tip happy and that's really what's important to me. I switched to CF and it's thriving like crazy! So, that is what is making me hesitant to buy another LED fixture. They are so expensive that I want to try to get the correct and best one first.

So, yes, I'll over analyze it ... a lot! ;-) So far in my small tanks since I've only had "easy" corals with CF lights, but want to be able to step it up a notch given the size of my future aquarium. I do have some time before I can pull the trigger anyways.

I saw for the first time yesterday (after posting above) a Kessil spotlight with strip leds. We both liked the shallow water light look. Reminds me of scuba diving in the shallower water. And that may also be why I liked the MH lights so much and if I do go LED I'll probably do a combo with the spot lights and led strips.

I used to have a setup of 3-400watt 20K radium bulbs with 320watts of T12 URI actinics over my 255. I switched to 4 6100 Mitras LED fixtures and I have never looked back. The corals did have a little bit more pop and color out of my MH setup. There is no doubt about it. I don't think you can get better color than that setup.....that being said. My electric bill is allot cheaper and I don't have a chiller on the aquarium anymore. I just purchased an upgrade to my led's to the 6300. It will give me more actinics and more intensity in lighting. I cant say much yet but review on the upgrade later.

If you go with 25owatt MH's you will not need a chiller but will be on the edge of hot tank with good fans running only on the fixture. With a fan in the sump, you can bring it down. With 250MH bulbs, you still do not get that super rich deep color. That is why I went to 400 watt.

So what I"m saying is that you can get good color out of all fixtures. I do not know how the latest generation of led's compare to MH 400 setup. But I will soon report. I believe you will have no issues with the following fixtures.

Kessel
Radion
Mitras

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to a little more advice. When you have a nice MH setup. It goes on and it goes off. That is about it. Its a set it and forget it. With LED's, I think allot of people just keep changing things over and over again. Tweeking this and that.....Squirrel! Lets try this configuration. This will make Led's frustrating trying to get it like some one elses.

My best advice is to get things the way you like them within the fist couple weeks and just leave it alone. The consistent light wins the race. Your corals will be nice either with the led's or the MH's. You cant go wrong if you do it right.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
cilyjr

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So it's been a few weeks now and I could not be happier.

One of my favorite stylos seems to be ok with the halide it's showing more red then it did previous.
20170301_170405_zpsbb1mimey.jpg

All the new growth here is in the last 2 weeks. And I will not say it's definitely because of the new lights but I'd like to think so

20170301_170309_zpsom3pju7j.jpg

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Lumatek ballasts have a 5 minute delay before they will fire up again. (I have 2 of them). I am not sure about the galaxy, but suspect they are the same.
The restrike delay is mostly the same across the board for every ballast manufacturer but in regards to Lumateks, I've been in the hydroponics hobby for the last roughly 15 years. Lumateks are a joke in that side of the HID lighting world. I switched to Phantom ballasts long ago and am going to attempt to run them in conjunction with some Radiums over my 225 in wall, which is currently still in the build stage. Phantoms are bulletproof and very well made.

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The restrike delay is mostly the same across the board for every ballast manufacturer but in regards to Lumateks, I've been in the hydroponics hobby for the last roughly 15 years. Lumateks are a joke in that side of the HID lighting world. I switched to Phantom ballasts long ago and am going to attempt to run them in conjunction with some Radiums over my 225 in wall, which is currently still in the build stage. Phantoms are bulletproof and very well made.

With respect, what does the hydroponics hobby have to do with the reef hobby. I have been in the reef hobby since 2005 and have never heard of Phantom on any reef application. Tells me that it is useless for reefs. What is your point?

I propose that you provide a direct statement about Lumentek and reef aquariums rather than having us guess what you are trying to imply.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With respect, what does the hydroponics hobby have to do with the reef hobby. I have been in the reef hobby since 2005 and have never heard of Phantom on any reef application. Tells me that it is useless for reefs. What is your point?

I propose that you provide a direct statement about Lumentek and reef aquariums rather than having us guess what you are trying to imply.
Actually the hobbies are remarkably similar secondary to the simple fact that you're growing and caring for organisms under HID lighting that are pH and C02 sensitive and utilize the process of photosynthesis. One could argue that the hydro world is light years ahead of our hobby of reefing in that dimension, in that all of the reflectors we use are air cooled/ducted which removes stale air from the room, as discussed as an aside, earlier in this thread,(which assists in maintaining stable pH levels for example.)
I have yet to see our hobby's halide manufacturers move in that direction and almost every halide light we have is still passively cooled( including the Geisseman Spectra I'll be purchasing soon.)
In regards to Lumatek, I had a big "Purple Pile," as I called it, of those ballasts in my garage after they all failed on me within a few years. I was simply offering a possible alternative. By "possible," I mean that I myself am not sure if the Phantoms are even compatible with the Radiums I'm going to be using. I haven't had the time to research, of which ill do at my leisure. I was simply speaking to ballast quality and my opinion/personal experience with Lumateks.

Last edited:

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the hobbies are remarkably similar secondary to the simple fact that you're growing and caring for organisms under HID lighting that are pH and C02 sensitive and utilize the process of photosynthesis. One could argue that the hydro world is light years ahead of our hobby of reefing in that dimension, in that all of the reflectors we use are air cooled/ducted which removes stale air from the room, as discussed as an aside, earlier in this thread,(which assists in maintaining stable pH levels for example.)
I have yet to see our hobby's halide manufacturers move in that direction and almost every halide light we have is still passively cooled( including the Geisseman Spectra I'll be purchasing soon.)
In regards to Lumatek, I had a big "Purple Pile," as I called it, of those ballasts in my garage after they all failed on me within a few years. I was simply offering a possible alternative. By "possible," I mean that I myself am not sure if the Phantoms are even compatible with Radiums. I haven't had the time to research, of which ill do at my leisure. I was simply speaking to ballast quality and my opinion/personal experience with Lumateks.

Oh, ok. Once you have provided fact over opinion on the lumentek in a reef environment, I invite you to get back to us. Until then, I propose you research the reef hobby rather than assume it is the same as the hydroponic hobby.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, ok. Once you have provided fact over opinion on the lumentek in a reef environment, I invite you to get back to us. Until then, I propose you research the reef hobby rather than assume it is the same as the hydroponic hobby.
To quote Hansel from Zoolander "whatever dude. Peace and God Bless." Lol

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To quote Hansel from Zoolander "whatever dude. Peace and God Bless." Lol
Ok. Never watched that movie. But I am sure it means something to you. You made the decision to respond to a user post. In this case, it is mine, so please provide your exerience in MH lighting in a reef aquarium.

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love using both halide and my Kessil for non noon hours.. I keep my home at 70degvbut still have to use a probe chiller to maintain a very steady/solid 78deg.

b0d324f23e98353b1d85345a6de564d0.jpg

OP
OP
cilyjr

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's been 7 months now and I'm happy I switched.
I did monthly comprison of the months I had halide to those from the previous year and electric usage was almost exactly the same (with the exception of a big spike this july. I'm guessing 24/7 central ac useage). Which was good to see.

I've been using Radiums and plan to switch to hamilton 14k the next time around to see how I like the bulb more than anything else.

It's anecdotal but I believe growth to be superior to the old led lights. I have a digi grow out contest for my local reef club in progress and I'll use these pictures as a point of intrest.
20170413_170126_zpsyrw4p7zs.jpg
20170818_183001.jpg

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been on the fence to change from metal halide to leds for some time now but corals are growing so well can't do it .Have 250 watt halides and use 20 k bulbs that I get for 15 dollars plus shipping and you can get 10 and 14 k also.Great color too

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the Halids help heat house in winter and my heaters don't turn on as much when they are on.In summer chiller does run but not that much in winter

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 163 73.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 37 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back