Good, Bad or the Ugly of Low Iron glass...

Jeff Kohlmann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this would be the way to go for a new tank. Other than a 'local' store that can't get me the size in low iron I want, speaking to people who have more experience than me, why are so many against it? They say it scratches easily. Does it? Seems like there are many against it than those who favor it. Is it really that bad an investment for my life-long awaited tank?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Planet Aquariums 210g low iron glass and I can definitely tell the quality of glass. But as for scratching and for the complaining I cannot attest for this. No issues so far on my end. Great quality and clarity of glass.

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it does scratch easier, it's not by much. A far cry from acrylic, which scratches if you look at it funny.

It's mostly about the cost vs benefit factor, and you'll find completely split opinions on it.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as last two posts. I have a Crystal Dynamics tank with starfire glass, huge difference. I don't have any scratches and I use a hammerhead cleaner.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are scratching up your low iron glass tank you need to work on your cleaning technique.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.1%
Back