Hawaii Yellow tang

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really think the highly trained professional divers in Hawaii been out of work this whole time?
You really think the divers are ‘highly trained professionals’? if they’ve been doing good since the ban, the only reason to go back to fish collecting is for MORE MONEY!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like how the banning of collecting in certain areas drives research. We get to learn so much more about reproductive biology/ecology now that these areas of research are likely easier to get more research/grant funding. This is similar how the banning of collecting many animals we see at zoos led to a massive surge in researching genetics.

Yay look, a positive post XD

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really think the divers are ‘highly trained professionals’? if they’ve been doing good since the ban, the only reason to go back to fish collecting is for MORE MONEY!
Yeah in Hawaii I do think they choose highly trained professional divers. I encourage you to look into what collecting fish involves...it's not an easy task especially with the regulations in place...why do you think in some countries they resort to using cyanide? And while they might or might not earn more money collecting fish I imagine they do it partly because they love what they do (that's usually how you get to be a professional). Are you forgetting the MILLIONS of tourists that visit Hawaii every year and that it's an island popular for diving? I'm pretty sure a professional diver isn't suffering jobless in Hawaii.

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that yellow tangs will be that cheap, if and when the ban is lifted… those Hawaiian divers, and wholesalers have years of little/no income to make up for, and they’ve already seen ‘what the market will bear’!

I’m also a little surprised at the number of people that can’t wait for the Potters angels to be available…it’s not an easy fish to keep alive! …. But I wouldn’t mind a blue Potters.
dang really!? Pre Covid price was like 60 that's more than doubled lol

yes I'm one of those on the list for potters angel and most importantly, a bandit angel!

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah in Hawaii I do think they choose highly trained professional divers. I encourage you to look into what collecting fish involves...it's not an easy task especially with the regulations in place...why do you think in some countries they resort to using cyanide? And while they might or might not earn more money collecting fish I imagine they do it partly because they love what they do (that's usually how you get to be a professional). Are you forgetting the MILLIONS of tourists that visit Hawaii every year and that it's an island popular for diving? I'm pretty sure a professional diver isn't suffering jobless in Hawaii.
You’re focusing on the divers, when I also mentioned the shipper/wholesalers… they control the pricing, not to mention the importers here that also like the additional markups!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re focusing on the divers, when I also mentioned the shipper/wholesalers… they control the pricing, not to mention the importers here that also like the additional markups!
Ok, you did specifically mention the "Hawaiian divers" so yeah I focused on half of the two groups you mentioned. As for the wholesalers (you didn't mention the shippers in your original post) why do you assume they're an independent company only involved in Hawaiian collected fish instead of part of a bigger company? And even if they did completely have to close down the company, again, this is Hawaii we're talking about...I highly doubt they were jobless this entire time.
Btw, do you not think they're highly trained professional divers? Does it not make sense they could find work in a major location where many tourists dive?

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, you did specifically mention the "Hawaiian divers" so yeah I focused on half of the two groups you mentioned. As for the wholesalers (you didn't mention the shippers in your original post) why do you assume they're an independent company only involved in Hawaiian collected fish instead of part of a bigger company? And even if they did completely have to close down the company, again, this is Hawaii we're talking about...I highly doubt they were jobless this entire time.
Btw, do you not think they're highly trained professional divers? Does it not make sense they could find work in a major location where many tourists dive?
No use wasting any more time on this… we can discuss this when and if, the ban is lifted… I don’t expect $150 yellow tangs, from the start. If the demand is there, the sellers will milk it!
I’m good, 6 of my 20 tangs are Hawaiian yellows, but there are a few other Hawaiian fish that I would like to get.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No use wasting any more time on this… we can discuss this when and if, the ban is lifted… I don’t expect $150 yellow tangs, from the start. If the demand is there, the sellers will milk it!
I’m good, 6 of my 20 tangs are Hawaiian yellows, but there are a few other Hawaiian fish that I would like to get.
I agree. No use wasting more time debating this. For the record I don't expect them to be cheap again either, you're right the sellers will milk it! I just disagreed with your reasoning as to why. People will complain but in the end they'll pay high dollars because that's how the free market works. It actually doesn't affect me in the first place since I'm not in the States so if I wanted a yellow Tang I'd get one way cheaper from somewhere else.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has our hobby suffered at all due to the ban?
I would say yes in Europe. Many species aren’t CB and in the UK, we really have the short stick compared to the USA. All those nice Captive Bred fish you get over in the US, we don’t get. Not only that but the import of certain wrasses has been banned which limits our species much more now. So the majority of our fish that are brought in are wild caught (Clownfish are the only fish readily available as captive bred, the other CB fish we get are extremely hard to get hold of because it’s often only one every year if not more). Maybe it’s not suffered in America however over here getting your hands on a CB Yellow is extremely hard and when you find one the price is almost the same as a Gem Tang (Neither of which I like).

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes in Europe. Many species aren’t CB and in the UK, we really have the short stick compared to the USA. All those nice Captive Bred fish you get over in the US, we don’t get. Not only that but the import of certain wrasses has been banned which limits our species much more now. So the majority of our fish that are brought in are wild caught (Clownfish are the only fish readily available as captive bred, the other CB fish we get are extremely hard to get hold of because it’s often only one every year if not more). Maybe it’s not suffered in America however over here getting your hands on a CB Yellow is extremely hard and when you find one the price is almost the same as a Gem Tang (Neither of which I like).
You'd probably be grateful to have access to yellow tangs like in America even though they're expensive, right? I understand complaints about pricing but when you compare to someone in the UK who doesn't even have the fish available at all price seems rather trivial.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd probably be grateful to have access to yellow tangs like in America even though they're expensive, right? I understand complaints about pricing but when you compare to someone in the UK who doesn't even have the fish available at all price seems rather trivial.
Definitely would!
I’ve seen 2 Captive Bred Yellows but that’s it, never seen any others.

Grallster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is everyone focusing on yellow tangs? Plenty of better Hawaiian fish you can’t get (really took kole tangs for granted).
Also it was said that raising prices would lead to more responsible fish keeping, and then turn around and say that middle aged men just flush money down the toilet…
I mean, which is it?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is everyone focusing on yellow tangs? Plenty of better Hawaiian fish you can’t get (really took kole tangs for granted).
Also it was said that raising prices would lead to more responsible fish keeping, and then turn around and say that middle aged men just flush money down the toilet…
I mean, which is it?
I personally don't think that simply raising prices would help anything. The only reason I'd support it would be if it went to the collectors in places like Indonesia that get paid very little for long hours and tedious work. We're talking about Hawaii though I know...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, which is it?
I’d love to have an Anampses chrycosephalus, definitely think that Yellow Tangs took the spot light a bit too much.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any scientific data to back this up?
If you think about it, Captive Bred Fish tend to have more contact with fish in captivity than a wild caught fish will.

Over here our main supplier is TMC and their turnover is I believe every 2 days which limits the time a fish will have to get a disease until it’s in the LFS where it may sit for months and potentially gain diseases.
A Captive Bred fish doesn’t have the turnover rates and instead sit in a tank for several months as they grow.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think about it, Captive Bred Fish tend to have more contact with fish in captivity than a wild caught fish will.

Over here our main supplier is TMC and their turnover is I believe every 2 days which limits the time a fish will have to get a disease until it’s in the LFS where it may sit for months and potentially gain diseases.
A Captive Bred fish doesn’t have the turnover rates and instead sit in a tank for several months as they grow.

Right but they are suggesting that captive bred or raised 'more likely to carry disease than wild caught fish'. Bio security is a big deal when captive breeding or raising fish so there is slim to no chance of disease. They have to do this because it could wipe out their whole brood stock and set them back years if they don't.

Maybe they are thinking that their immune system isn't developed because of it. I'm not sure. That is why I'm asking for their data.

Grallster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild caught fish intermingle with dozens or more different fish at every step of the supply chain. I’m just assuming that would lead to more disease.

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any scientific data to back this up?
Scientific data, no. However I was simply giving a reason for the Australian government's decision. No doubt data exists, I just don't have any. It was certainly something that was discussed when I studied aquaculture at uni.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 111 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back