Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I mention you can never have too many clamps?lol
I love clamps, these aluminum bar clamps you see in pic were from harbor freight like about 10 years ago or so, cheap, but still going strong.
I love these irwin clamps too, but the bars cover about anything.

clamps are very useful in deed I have a few C clamps along with a few of the other quick release one but no pipe clamps. harbor freight dose sale the clamp but not the pipe. so shoping around to see if its worth the drive over or just get it online or rent from the local tool rental place...

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6E713AA2-081A-4C70-9932-C5FF1D459814.jpeg
538D21E4-26DC-4000-8C7E-61A48BBE0DB6.jpeg

your stand will look so nice you’ll want a canopy.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those aluminum ones look way better than what they sell now.

I have not been to harbor freight in a while, most everything they sell is junk, but for things that are simple, iron bars, clamps, those work fine, but I'd never buy anything mechanical there.

The only thing about making ply stands IMO is the average DIY guy may not have saws needed, or saw skills, and you need something quality to make good straight rips and miters that may be more than some can or want to do.

I did just recently get a makita track saw that makes pretty precision cuts and is super user friendly and safe compared to a table saw, but that was about $500 for that, not sure how many back yard guys will throw down for that if they don't plan to use often.

For many years I have gotten away w/ just my skill and a rip guide, or good straight edge(and of course clamps!)

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clamps are very useful in deed I have a few C clamps along with a few of the other quick release one but no pipe clamps. harbor freight dose sale the clamp but not the pipe. so shoping around to see if its worth the drive over or just get it online or rent from the local tool rental place...

For that far of a drive probably online is best.
Pipe clamps are great, but heavy , probably not needed by most DIY guys, these aluminum bar clamps have been used a gazillion times and light and easy to transport.

The blue irwins are great for smaller, lowes carries those

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been to harbor freight in a while, most everything they sell is junk, but for things that are simple, iron bars, clamps, those work fine, but I'd never buy anything mechanical there.

The only thing about making ply stands IMO is the average DIY guy may not have saws needed, or saw skills, and you need something quality to make good straight rips and miters that may be more than some can or want to do.

I did just recently get a makita track saw that makes pretty precision cuts and is super user friendly and safe compared to a table saw, but that was about $500 for that, not sure how many back yard guys will throw down for that if they don't plan to use often.

For many years I have gotten away w/ just my skill and a rip guide, or good straight edge(and of course clamps!)

completely ageee but let me ask you this. 2x stands also need to be level and structurally sound. this requires choosing straight wood and making accurate cuts. for someone doing this at home i would recommend a miter saw and of course clamps. even a planer and jointer but that’s getting real crazy.

so if both methods have the same requirements (accurate cuts to produce structure and a level stand) and both require some tools, why is a 2x stand easier for the average diyer? i ask this question because i have never build a 2x stand at all.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is your guys thoughts on wood putting/sanding the edges VS preglued veneer?
learning towards the veneer...but want to ask the experts

on that not should the side be done before making the frame or after?

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
completely ageee but let me ask you this. 2x stands also need to be level and structurally sound. this requires choosing straight wood and making accurate cuts. for someone doing this at home i would recommend a miter saw and of course clamps. even a planer and jointer but that’s getting real crazy.

so if both methods have the same requirements (accurate cuts to produce structure and a level stand) and both require some tools, why is a 2x stand easier for the average diyer? i ask this question because i have never build a 2x stand at all.

I chime in here as I have build 3- 2x4 stand over the years. as a beginner DIYer i did it as there where just more info on the subject. I always wanted a plywood stand just there more plans and info out there. I would guess 95% of DIY WOOD stand are 2x4 so you get a change to see more. "if other ppl did it I can to" & " it it worked for them it will work for me"

I hope that changes I will do my part and hope to make a beginners guild to plywood stand building with your guys help of course..

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is your guys thoughts on wood putting/sanding the edges VS preglued veneer?
learning towards the veneer...but want to ask the experts

on that not should the side be done before making the frame or after?

i’ve always used trim on the side edges.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that far of a drive probably online is best.
Pipe clamps are great, but heavy , probably not needed by most DIY guys, these aluminum bar clamps have been used a gazillion times and light and easy to transport.

The blue irwins are great for smaller, lowes carries those

what if I picked up a few of these think they would work for stand building with pocket screws ans LOTS of glue?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, I think rocket engineers template has been around so long and seems easy to follow by most back yard builders.
Some guys can get away having cuts done by hd or whoever in doing those, and really anyone can screw that together pretty easy, and you got an inch and a half of meat to center that screw and make reasonably straight, where ply might be a little more tricky.

I personally can build cabinets just fine w/ ply alone, but I've been doing it a while, it's my living, and I don't do tank stands much anymore just because there's no real money in it, so these days it's for friends or favors mainly, but when I did do stands back when, everyone was in a rush, so I started doing 2x frames to just get people going, cycling tank, gave me time to make a nice wrap I'd come back w/ later, unrushed.

When I'm here in DIY, I'm doing my best to put myself in the shoes of the average guy, and what they may have for tools and skills, not what I can do w/ what I have for tools.
And I'm trying to think safety for the user usually.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I think rocket engineers template has been around so long and seems easy to follow by most back yard builders.
Some guys can get away having cuts done by hd or whoever in doing those, and really anyone can screw that together pretty easy, and you got an inch and a half of meat to center that screw and make reasonably straight, where ply might be a little more tricky.

I personally can build cabinets just fine w/ ply alone, but I've been doing it a while, it's my living, and I don't do tank stands much anymore just because there's no real money in it, so these days it's for friends or favors mainly, but when I did do stands back when, everyone was in a rush, so I started doing 2x frames to just get people going, cycling tank, gave me time to make a nice wrap I'd come back w/ later, unrushed.

When I'm here in DIY, I'm doing my best to put myself in the shoes of the average guy, and what they may have for tools and skills, not what I can do w/ what I have for tools.
And I'm trying to think safety for the user usually.

i thought about all of this as well. then i thought, well if there was a clear step by step guide, maybe more diyers would be successful.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’ve always used trim on the side edges.

Agree, if you can't miter corners trim is best, easiest, looks cleaner.
I hate putty used on stain grade cabs.
Veneers can be tricky, that's a whole different thing, many good w/ veneers probably do mainly just that.

Of course for paint grade stuff you can get away w/ a lot more goofs

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought about all of this as well. then i thought, well if there was a clear step by step guide, maybe more diyers would be successful.

I agree, but that would take a bit of time to do it properly, really cover all ground to suit everyone's needs, and above all be safe, that is my biggest concern when giving advice really, I'd hate to hear someone hurt themselves, and being in the trade I'm always thinking about liability issues.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These are cool, pretty much all clamps are cool, but for the same price I'd rather have the irwins w/ quick clamp and release, but for me building in the field time matters more.
The irwins are really strong and I use them all the time for many things, I've hauled lumber clamping to my rack in a pinch when short on rope!
They just cover more ground for me, light, I can set them on lumber or even drop them w/out dinging

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t wait to get these diy plans for a plywood stand. I’m going to be building a 40 breeder stand and this sounds way better and lighter than using 2x4’s.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back