Hey Guys I am 3 weeks old to salt water tank ..nervous need some advise !!!!

csant2612

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I am Santosh , started my new hobby 3 weeks back with 25 gallon innovative Marines Lagoon tank. Cycled water, got water tested from local store , got a ok to add some live stock. I added 6 corals , few cleaner crew ( pistol shrimp, snails , Hemlet crabs ) one yellow tang. It's just been a day since u have added fish and the cleaning crew. My tank temperature is at 76. But I see some white slimy spots in the corner of the tanks on the corner black seals. I am a little nervous . I want to make my tank look colorful and keep it clean. Need some advise on which and how many corals I can add, which fishes I can add ..etc etc..

image.jpeg

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! I wouldn't worry too much about the algae, it's normal in a new tank to get some "weird" algae. I would wait a week or 2 to add any more fish, see how the tang and clean up crew do first. Take your time and go slow, only
Bad things happen fast in this hobby. As far as fish go no saltwater tank is complete without a pair of clowns in my opinion. Also maybe look into some different gobies and possibly some anthias.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's start with the size of tank compared to what you already have:
25 gallon which does look nice,
But the yellow tang I'm afraid to say doesn't fit your system. It may be little but these fish need space, and pretty much anything else fish wise you add in time are doomed.

There are lots of great options out there for your tank.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @csant2612! Welcome to R2R, and welcome to the hobby!

That's a lot of livestock in a very new tank. I really like the aqua scape.

Just relax. Take in all the advice you can get and look for repeated suggestions. I agree with advice above, go slow. Let some time go by before you add any more. Log all your test results and keep notes. It really helps to associate actions to reactions, and teaches a lot. "Clean" is a very subjective term. At three weeks your tank may appear almost sterile, and you're bound to see a lot of new things, mostly good, believe it or not.

Start a tank build thread in the Member Tanks area. Post lots of pictures! You'll get tons of advice.

Again, WELCOME!

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R;)

OP
OP
C

csant2612

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow..makes me feel good to see so many supporters..Thank you..I think I will go with the majority and start taking things slow..what should be the temperature? And I just noticed something strange with one of my coral, it just shrunk is it normal ?
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1447985149.301135.jpg

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you mind post parameters of the tank .

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...something strange with one of my coral, it just shrunk is it normal ?
Different things will make that happen. If it stays closed, or gets droopy, deflated looking, then there could be an issue. Myself, I think it's normal behavior, especially if it was open earlier today.

We'll see what the experts say.

OP
OP
C

csant2612

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ KJ ..I am not sure what parameters . If you can tell me what it is probably I can share ..

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ KJ ..I am not sure what parameters . If you can tell me what it is probably I can share ..
Nitrites
Nitrates
Mg
Alk
Ca
SG-Specific Gravity

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to R2R. that is a very new tank to have that much coral in let alone a tang. tangs are known to be very sensitive fish. my advice would be return the tang and get a more appropriate fish for your new tank and for the size of your tank. after that I would wait a few weeks to a month before you add anything else. your tank still has a bit of maturing to do. once everything is stable and your diatom bloom has passed you can pretty well go crazy with adding coral, you just gotta take it slow with the fish. remember, in a 25 gallon tank you cant add many fish. while there is no real rule on how many you can add, you will find your tank overcrowded quickly. believe me... I did it too lol

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
however, I also would recommend buying a refractometer if you haven't already and a quality test kit like salifert or red sea.

OP
OP
C

csant2612

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ KJ I got all the parameters checked by the local store and they said it was good..I still need to get the kits and other stuff like Dtackett mentioned.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ KJ I got all the parameters checked by the local store and they said it was good..I still need to get the kits and other stuff like Dtackett mentioned.
Yes and test you on water don't trust local LFS

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 62 34.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back