Hey Guys I am 3 weeks old to salt water tank ..nervous need some advise !!!!

OP
OP
C

csant2612

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1449437836.768376.jpg

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience Patience Patience!!!!!!!

Now that that's outta my system, +1 to the "too many corals in a young tank" @saltyfilmfolks. Baptism by fire into the hobby, welcome to the club :D. How is the anemone? And what are your current parameters? That anemone needs to be your top concern.

OP
OP
C

csant2612

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone looks good ..Nitrate has been between 20 and 40 ppm..been doing regular water changes every couple of days up to 5 gallons

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this is a tough one. To be brutally honest, your going to have a pretty rough time the next 3 weeks. Youll probably have more losses.
Without knowing what any of the rest of your equipment is, heres what I would do.
Go to a fish store and get a nice piece of fully cured and cycled live rock, Algae corraline and all. a baseball will do. (you need benificial bacteria, the bottled ones may not be enough).
Buy a Hand full of chato and put it in the tank. float it. Yea its messy but messy or death right?
Slow your water changes to 10 percent every other day. Do a water test before every change. Too large a change IMO can also shock your livestock. (ph change salinity bacterial)
If you have a source for natural filtered seawater use that. If you have a friend with an awsome clean established tank get 2 or 3 gallons of his water change water and use it too.
I hope you used live sand for the bottom of the tank if it was drysand get a 20lb bag of live and put it over it. cut a corner and slowly pour it in. Get sugar sized not fine.
Bacterial additives, I like Prime and stability. $4 for a small bottle. Small doses every other day.
Nothing in a bottle solves everything.
If you have a skimmer set it for a dry skim, it pulls smaller particles and unwanted bacterials with finer bubbles.
Get a bag of activated carbon and put it in you HOB aquaclear in a place of good flow it will absorb some of the bad crap.
Cover your powerheads with plastic screen something anything. Anemone walk by themselves I lost my first one years ago like that. Rookie mistake. 3am leaving for work my tank looked like milk. Arms everywhere.
Wifey NOT HAPPY

A young tank naturally goes through Ugly algae cyano diatom stages while it builds up its biological filter. Its gonna look worse as it gets better.
Please do some reading on the cycle in a new tank.
Stay calm, be patient.
Reef on.
\Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

csant2612

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 corals, one Anemone, couple of cleaning crew that include snails , hermet crabs , pistol shrimp..that's about it..25 gallons tank is what I have...it has live rock and live sand as well
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1449450416.113682.jpg

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have space for a QT? I'd be hesitant to add any new fish for 72-76 days from the time you lost the tang unless you're 1000% positive it wasn't disease. Then add other fish slowly, with clowns if you go that route last or near the end.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R

Sorry for your loss. Do one favour to yourself as everyone is suggesting. Get few kits to test ammonia, nitrate, nitrite,phosphate and definitely one refractometer. Start testing your parameters. Just don't believe your LFS blindly.Nothing comes overnight in this hobby and that is the most important lesson you have to learn. Make these parameters stable and then introduce your livestocks. You need to understand you are trying to build an ecosystem and 3 weeks of time is not enough. It takes years to build one so test your parameters and WAIT and HOPE.

Enjoy REEFING.

OP
OP
C

csant2612

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought a API salt water testing kit n these days I do test regularly.. Other than nitrate everything else is balanced.. Nitrate has been quite high..so I have been doing small water changes every 4 to 5 days 3 to 5 gallons change

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you please share your parameters so that people can help you more.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back