Home Depot pool muriatic acid

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can ANYONE tell me if this is safe to use to lower Alk in salt water mix? Has anyone ever used this particular one? The associates at HD pointed me to this one and none other.

If this isn't acceptable, then which HCL at hardware stores have you used successfully.

I need help asap as I'm performing multiple 120 gallon water changes and need to use cheap IO salt mix but the Alk is always high.
a69afe9f3e9ff852ca993417c5fc65d8.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question. Never used it to lower Alk, but have used that exact brand to recharge Cuprisorb. Worked as it should.

#reefsquad

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can ANYONE tell me if this is safe to use to lower Alk in salt water mix? Has anyone ever used this particular one? The associates at HD pointed me to this one and none other.

If this isn't acceptable, then which HCL at hardware stores have you used successfully.

I need help asap as I'm performing multiple 120 gallon water changes and need to use cheap IO salt mix but the Alk is always high.
a69afe9f3e9ff852ca993417c5fc65d8.jpg

I know from personal experience, if you let IO mix for a while, the ALK drops to a more manageable level..

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably overkill, but I'd use reagent grade HCl. Just no way to know what kind of impurities there could be in industrial muriatic acid.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably overkill, but I'd use reagent grade HCl. Just no way to know what kind of impurities there could be in industrial muriatic acid.

Thanks for this link. Didn't even know this was available. I mostly use muriatic acid for cleaning equipment so never researched it much. This would be good for lowering alk as it ends up going into the tank.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will not need 2 gallons.

If you are in a jam, I think I would use something like lemon juice concentrate from the grocery store. Add a few drops and see where the ALK is at.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this link. Didn't even know this was available. I mostly use muriatic acid for cleaning equipment so never researched it much. This would be good for lowering alk as it ends up going into the tank.

Yeah, this is as concentrated as HCl can be at 37%. Amazon also has lower concentrations of reagent grade like 2 M (7%).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will not need 2 gallons.

If you are in a jam, I think I would use something like lemon juice concentrate from the grocery store. Add a few drops and see where the ALK is at.

NO, that cannot work. Organic acids do not permanently lower alkalinity. It MUST be a mineral acid, such as sulfuric or muriatic (hydrochloric).

Organic acids will be metabolized int eh tank, giving back all the alk depleted originally.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks the HDX stuff is about 14%
The Klean Strip jug is 20% according to their web site. (See Randy's post #15)
If I had to pick between the two, I'd probably take the pool chemical, since there are probably some regulations regarding allowable toxins for pool chemicals, where as the other is simply intended as a concrete cleaner. (Just guessing here) Reagent grade would likely be safer, though.

OP
OP
SeaDweller

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since someone mentioned impurities I just ordered seachem acid buffer to lower Alk. Don't want to risk anything in the reef that will be full of acros.

Although I would love to use HCL without ordering from Amazon.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know from personal experience, if you let IO mix for a while, the ALK drops to a more manageable level..
Just curious, what do you consider a while? I usually mix IO the day before I do the WC. I like to keep ALK at 8.5 - 9, and IO mixes up at 9.5 -10, would a day drop it to the levels I'm looking for?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back