Home Depot pool muriatic acid

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Description
Keep your aquarium water at the ideal pH level with the Seachem Acid Buffer Water Treatment. This non-phosphate buffer lowers your aquarium’s pH safely by converting alkalinity into carbon dioxide to keep your fish healthy. It’s perfect for aquariums with plants or aquariums with hard water and adjusts the pH to 5.0 to 8.0. Because it has no phosphates, it won’t cause issues with cloudiness or algae. Simply mix according to your gallon size, and add gradual doses until you get to the ideal pH level for your aquarium. Plus, it’s made in the USA and available in different sizes to meet your needs.

Key Benefits
  • Lowers the pH of your aquarium naturally and safely by converting alkalinity into available carbon dioxide.
  • Adjusts the pH level to 5.0 to 8.0 to maintain your aquarium water at an ideal range to keep your fish healthy.
  • Doesn’t contain phosphates so it’s great for planted aquariums and won’t cause issues with cloudiness or algae.
  • Perfect for aquariums that have hard water and can be used instead of other methods that can cause water discoloration.
  • Formula is proudly made in the USA and comes in different sizes to meet your needs.
Precautions
Causes serious eye irritation. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid contact with skin.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy has a good thread somewhere on using sodium bisulfate to lower alkalinity. I didn’t trust any of the industrial muriatic acids at the hardware store so I get reagent/lab grade sodium bisulfate from amazon. Very easy to use, not dangerous, and relatively inexpensive (compared to the rest of this hobby). I’m sure a jug of muriatic acid is cheaper since you only use a few mL at a time but I just don’t trust its quality control.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy has a good thread somewhere on using sodium bisulfate to lower alkalinity. I didn’t trust any of the industrial muriatic acids at the hardware store so I get reagent/lab grade sodium bisulfate from amazon. Very easy to use, not dangerous, and relatively inexpensive (compared to the rest of this hobby). I’m sure a jug of muriatic acid is cheaper since you only use a few mL at a time but I just don’t trust its quality control.

Sodium Bisulfate to Reduce Alkalinity in New Salt Water or in Display Tanks
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...ater-or-in-Display-Tanks.362825/&share_type=t

Esquire805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can ANYONE tell me if this is safe to use to lower Alk in salt water mix? Has anyone ever used this particular one? The associates at HD pointed me to this one and none other.

If this isn't acceptable, then which HCL at hardware stores have you used successfully.

I need help asap as I'm performing multiple 120 gallon water changes and need to use cheap IO salt mix but the Alk is always high.
a69afe9f3e9ff852ca993417c5fc65d8.jpg
I have used the acid made a video also let me find the link

Esquire805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can ANYONE tell me if this is safe to use to lower Alk in salt water mix? Has anyone ever used this particular one? The associates at HD pointed me to this one and none other.

If this isn't acceptable, then which HCL at hardware stores have you used successfully.

I need help asap as I'm performing multiple 120 gallon water changes and need to use cheap IO salt mix but the Alk is always high.
a69afe9f3e9ff852ca993417c5fc65d8.jpg

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use that. Works effectively in lowering alk

Is it pure enough not to cause a build up of undesirables long term.??

Sounds like a good product. I bet it cleans the heck out of a wave maker with Coralline algae. :)

OP
OP
SeaDweller

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it pure enough not to cause a build up of undesirables long term.??

Sounds like a good product. I bet it cleans the heck out of a wave maker with Coralline algae. :)

I’m not sure the acid buffer helps to clean, I use it mainly for lowering alk, muriatic acid will clean better than vinegar for sure

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Key Benefits
  • Lowers the pH of your aquarium naturally and safely by converting alkalinity into available carbon dioxide.
  • Adjusts the pH level to 5.0 to 8.0 to maintain your aquarium water at an ideal range to keep your fish healthy.
  • Doesn’t contain phosphates so it’s great for planted aquariums and won’t cause issues with cloudiness or algae.
  • Perfect for aquariums that have hard water and can be used instead of other methods that can cause water discoloration.
  • Formula is proudly made in the USA and comes in different sizes to meet your needs.
Precautions
Causes serious eye irritation. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid contact with skin.

One could use all of these points with Muriatic acid (with the possible exception of the 2nd one, but since you would have to significantly overdose it to drop the pH below 5, it technically still applies.)

What concentration do you use for cleaning (i.e. how much per gallon do you add?)

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One could use all of these points with Muriatic acid (with the possible exception of the 2nd one, but since you would have to significantly overdose it to drop the pH below 5, it technically still applies.)

What concentration do you use for cleaning (i.e. how much per gallon do you add?)

I have not tried this product yet. I heard it works well though. I’ve been using Muratic acid and was looking for something like this. Something that’s safer with less fumes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else try the Seachem Alk buffer? I wanna try it myself.

To lower alkalinity, use Seachem ACID buffer. Or just buy sodium bisulfate online.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a calculator for dosing sodium bisulfate to reduce alkalinity?

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind, I found one:
2g of sodium bisulfate in 1000l will lower alkalinity (DKH) by 0.55 or 10ppm

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back