Home Depot pool muriatic acid

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ZaneTer,

Thanks! I just ordered a bucket.

Been using Loudwolf, but it's expensive. I make 50 gal. batches of water with Alk at 7 ( I dose Kalkwasser for pH). I use 30g per batch 50 gal. batch of IO saltwater. Keeps my system Alk at a steady 8.5.

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium Bisulfate sounds safer to handle than muriatic acid. I was researching how to remove tar/bitchumen from concrete last year and that acid was recommended. The youtube videos encouraged wearing a nice full face respirator mask and protective gear when dealing with vapor and spraying. You don't want to get muriatic acid in your eyes, lungs, or on your skin.

Last edited:

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious, how do you end up with your alk too high? Was it a simple dosing mistake? What would be the problem with just leaving it and letting your corals use it over time?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what I can get off amazon to lower alk in saltwater mix? I am getting 11.5 out of Fritz blue mixed at 1024. Dr Holmes said muratic acid or sodium bisulfate. But he didn't answer which was best and other ill effects. I read somewhere it lowers ph. Is that only if mixed in tank? Can I super aerate it to get the ph up? Its my mixing bin not display and I need to do a wc asap and one tank is 8.5 and other is 9.5

I could possibly drive to home depot but thinking amazom might be better incase there is such a thing as food grade like citric acid isI also read that vinegar does the trick! Ayone know? Also have no idea the ration!

Apreciate any advice! I am done with Fritz blue! THis has been happening my last few boxes! I just put it in anyway and my corals kind of freak for days! Not doin that anymore!
Appreciate any advice on a salt that mixes 9.5 and normal calcium and mag or slightly elevated!

I have researched salts before and crazy as it sounds I couldnt find one!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what I can get off amazon to lower alk in saltwater mix? I am getting 11.5 out of Fritz blue mixed at 1024. Dr Holmes said muratic acid or sodium bisulfate. But he didn't answer which was best and other ill effects. I read somewhere it lowers ph. Is that only if mixed in tank? Can I super aerate it to get the ph up? Its my mixing bin not display and I need to do a wc asap and one tank is 8.5 and other is 9.5

I could possibly drive to home depot but thinking amazom might be better incase there is such a thing as food grade like citric acid isI also read that vinegar does the trick! Ayone know? Also have no idea the ration!

Apreciate any advice! I am done with Fritz blue! THis has been happening my last few boxes! I just put it in anyway and my corals kind of freak for days! Not doin that anymore!
Appreciate any advice on a salt that mixes 9.5 and normal calcium and mag or slightly elevated!

I have researched salts before and crazy as it sounds I couldnt find one!

Both are fine and neither has ill effects on seawater aside from pH, which can be raised.

There are NO other good choices (aside from sulfuric acid), which is why I recommend these.

Here's an example thread:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.3%
Back