How can i quiet a noisy overflow?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there more water going through weir on one side, meaning tank is not level?

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly hate durso's and whoever came up with it needs their butt kicked. My next tank will be a bean animal or herbie overflow.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K, so you don’t even have a Siphon. Your vented open channel is trying to act as the siphon but can’t because of the side vent and the airline valve in the cap.

Identify each of these pipes in the pic. The one on the left with the ball valve that appears to drop straight into the sump. Does it also have a vent/ air valve? The one next to it which 45’s off the horizontal run: does it have a vent?
The one over to the right with the ball valve: is that your return tee’d off?
How many pipes(drains) total do you have dropping in to the sump?

2378178B-BB2B-41DB-A180-A72D8FAB2ED7.jpeg

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok heres some more photos that may show the setup better.
There are 2 seperate drains going to sump, one that drops straight down and one with the horizonal, both have the air vent at the top of the durso.
One return line tee'd off with a ball valve that is being left fully open
90aa29db039dccf887fcd2458d6db2e6.jpg
5d1e4c3f8318327dd1b8dd51fa882edc.jpg
139836711a048f46195c526fd37dc675.jpg

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want the water to fall into overflow, through weir, no more than an inch so you’re not making more noise and bubbles than need be. Adjust the durso height to make that so.

One pipe is dumping straight down. The other has some elbows with a vertical run were bubbles have a chance to go up instead of down.

On the straight down pipe you could make a bubble trap of sorts, with a tee and some elbows. A little hard to explain with typing. That’s why I asked where you’re located. Sorta like an upside down p trap with a tall enough outlet for air where water won’t come out. Could also do something like this.
B72A82B9-6A44-4B9D-B40F-AB7E3F099488.jpeg

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want the water to fall into overflow, through weir, no more than an inch so you’re not making more noise and bubbles than need be. Adjust the durso height to make that so.

One pipe is dumping straight down. The other has some elbows with a vertical run were bubbles have a chance to go up instead of down.

On the straight down pipe you could make a bubble trap of sorts, with a tee and some elbows. A little hard to explain with typing. That’s why I asked where you’re located. Sorta like an upside down p trap with a tall enough outlet for air where water won’t come out. Could also do something like this.
B72A82B9-6A44-4B9D-B40F-AB7E3F099488.jpeg
Im in Louisville ky.
Any way u could draw me a picture of this bubble trap?

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. You don’t need a bubble trap. Period.

The drain on the left: get rid of any and all air vents. You don’t have a Siphon. You need one. You need to replace the elbow on the left side of the tank with one that is solid with no vents. That will be your siphon.

If it were me, I would remove the horizontal run traveling left over the skimming area( I assume that’s why you plumbed it this way)
Leave the vent/ air valve as is and 45 the drain on the right down to where your return pump is located. I know you’re probably concerned about dumping water where your return is, but the open channel exists for minimal extra volume leftover from the siphon. The amount of water down this pipe is insignificant. It literally should just be hugging the pipe going down. The siphon( which you don’t have) handles 99% of the tank volume that needs to be skimmed.)

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. A little out of my way in NY

131876EA-35C4-4EE6-A601-FA0F0BB0D79A.jpeg

Ideally you want this so that the tee is at or just below sump water level

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The drain on the left: get rid of any and all air vents. You don’t have a Siphon. You need one. You need to replace the elbow on the left side of the tank with one that is solid with no vents. That will be your siphon.

If it were me, I would remove the horizontal run traveling left over the skimming area( I assume that’s why you plumbed it this way)
Leave the vent/ air valve as is and 45 the drain on the right down to where your return pump is located. I know you’re probably concerned about dumping water where your return is, but the open channel exists for minimal extra volume leftover from the siphon. The amount of water down this pipe is insignificant. It literally should just be hugging the pipe going down. The siphon( which you don’t have) handles 99% of the tank volume that needs to be skimmed.)
How did u determine there was no syphon? And why is that important if it is draining ok as is? Just trying to learn

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mean no offense but after reading a few of your posts it needs to be said that you shouldn’t be giving advice

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mean no offense but after reading a few of your posts it needs to be said that you shouldn’t be giving advice
I don’t take offense easily. And that’s because I know these systems extremely well. As do many others on this forum. But please! Do elaborate further, for the OP’s sake.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did u determine there was no syphon? And why is that important if it is draining ok as is? Just trying to learn
You cannot have a Siphon with an airline.
Your system is draining, but is it really okay as is? From what I understand the nature of your post was secondary to the fact that you can’t quiet your system and/ or solve the bubble/ turbulence issue.
That’s why you need a Siphon.
You do Not need a “bubble trap,” which is a band aid to a problem that won’t be fixed in your current orientation.

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t take offense easily. And that’s because I know these systems extremely well. As do many others on this forum. But please! Do elaborate further, for the OP’s sake.
This is what i hate being new to this and getting mixed answers when asking questions :(
Now i dont know whos advise to take..

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot have a Siphon with an airline.
Your system is draining, but is it really okay as is? From what I understand the nature of your post was secondary to the fact that you can’t quiet your system and/ or solve the bubble/ turbulence issue.
That’s why you need a Siphon.
You do Not need a “bubble trap,” which is a band aid to a problem that won’t be fixed in your current orientation.
I guess i get that. Im just trying to make it a little quieter and it seems like the problem is just trapped air so it seems to me that letting the air out through a bubble trap could work for my issue but i dont have any experience to go on

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what i hate being new to this and getting mixed answers when asking questions :(
Now i dont know whos advise to take..
Unfortunately I can’t be responsible for other forum members who have Zero idea what they’re talking about. It’s the nature of the internet! You’ll simply have to forge your own path based on the advice given. Simply here to help. But, earlier you said you plugged your vent with your finger and the problem was solved? The bubbles/turbulence disappeared?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back