OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I can’t be responsible for other forum members who have Zero idea what they’re talking about. It’s the nature of the internet! You’ll simply have to forge your own path based on the advice given. Simply here to help. But, earlier you said you plugged your vent with your finger and the problem was solved? The bubbles/turbulence disappeared?
That doesnt happen now. That was before i had the drain lines seperated
And if i remember right that stopped the gurgling of the standpipe not the bubbles in the sump

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesnt happen now. That was before i had the drain lines seperated
And if i remember right that stopped the gurgling of the standpipe not the bubbles in the sump
The bubbles in the sump are a separate issue. Solved later by a gate valve on the open channel and valve adjustment on the return output( if needed) Here’s a link explaining Durso’s etc. for your perusal. It’s an inferior method of plumbing a tank. ( in my opinion of course and even admitted in the article)
http://gmacreef.com/aquarium-overflows-durso-herbie-and-bean-setups/

You have two drains going into your sump which is enough to get you a full siphon and an open channel.

All I’m doing is recommending a full siphon and an open channel( since you don’t have a third standpipe and since your complaint is noise and bubbles, which is what people with the current system you’re running just deal with.)

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t take offense easily. And that’s because I know these systems extremely well. As do many others on this forum. But please! Do elaborate further, for the OP’s sake.
Without searching through your posts can think of a few. Just in the last day or so.

You keep saying he needs a full siphon but he has two Durso. So either you’re saying he should get rid of the durso, or you don’t know how a durso works. Except with all your posts you didn’t say he should get rid of the durso, which is confusing the **** out of me, and i’v been a plumber and hobbyists for 30 years.

You have suggested air valve when not needed, and if it was needed, an air tube that can be raised or lower into top of pipe will help with gurgling. As with a stockman standpipe.

You have suggested that the depth of the pipe in the sump will solve this issue. The air is still going down so it will not solve either bubbles in sump or noise issue. As demonstrated by op changing the length of the pipe as you suggested.

All terrible, confusing advice, And it’s not even terrible advice Tuesday yet.

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without searching through your posts can think of a few. Just in the last day or so.

You keep saying he needs a full siphon but he has two Durso. So either you’re saying he should get rid of the durso, or you don’t know how a durso works. Except with all your posts you didn’t say he should get rid of the durso, which is confusing the **** out of me, and i’v been a plumber and hobbyists for 30 years.

You have suggested air valve when not needed, and if it was needed, an air tube that can be raised or lower into top of pipe will help with gurgling. As with a stockman standpipe.

You have suggested that the depth of the pipe in the sump will solve this issue. The air is still going down so it will not solve either bubbles in sump or noise issue. As demonstrated by op changing the length of the pipe as you suggested.

The full syphon is confusing me too cause i thought the way mine is setup is how durso is supposed to work but hes talking like it should work like a bean overflow.. so thats been confusing to me too.

Im just trying to get this to be a little bit quieter. Not even trying for complete silence just not as loud as it is now lol

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is NO WAY to eliminate air from a durso setup. If you don't believe me then cover both of those small holes at the top of each standpipe and see what happens. Yes it will be quiet and it will also overflow your display tank into the floor. A durso has to have air to work.

You can either regulate the air going into the durso with a valve or turn down your return pump with the ball valve.

This

4BB257F3-9FCA-4108-B4A2-819FEB6ED0F1.jpeg

Or this

20171120_221308.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is NO WAY to eliminate air from a durso setup. If you don't believe me then cover both of those small holes at the top of each standpipe and see what happens. Yes it will be quiet and it will also overflow your display tank into the floor. A durso has to have air to work.
I think ive tried messing around with covering those holes and nothing happened actually lol
It didnt quiet anything

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lol. Easily refuted. I wasn’t aware until after I prompted the question that he had no siphon, whatsoever, period. Hence the recommendation to shorten the standpipes( common knowledge amongst those in the know in relation to solving the problem of purging air from standpipes, especially with horizontal runs)
Even at the revelation that he Was running two Durso’s, his chief complaint was/ is noise/ bubbles, two variable which go hand in hand with running a Durso in the first place. As I mentioned, some who run this system simply tolerate it. Based on his complaint concerning these variables, I recommended he turn one of the standpipes into a full siphon and gate the open channel which will place him in a superior plumbing method to what he’s currently running. His goal seems to be a silent system, which is easily achieved with a full siphon and an open channel, both which are achievable since he has two standpipes into his sump.( even though he’s missing a dry emergency drain which would turn the system into a Bean, but some consider that third channel redundant. I don’t, but I refrained from telling him to drill an emergency channel.)

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can either regulate the air going into the durso with a valve or turn down your return pump with the ball valve.
Agreed!

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think ive tried messing around with covering those holes and nothing happened actually lol
It didnt quiet anything

No I guarantee you didnt. If both of those holes become blocked at the same time I promise you your tank will overflow. It may take 5 to 10 minutes depending on the size of your tank but it will happen. That is the drawback to the durso.

Everything you need to know from the guy that invented the durso.

https://www.dursostandpipes.com/frequently-asked-questions

Last edited:

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my durso i shoved an air tube into the top vent hole and put a shutoff valve in it.
Then turned it until it was pretty much gone but tbh durso is not the quietest way and i like alittle sound so I'm good with it.

Edit: Nevermind after i read all the post i see someone else has already mentioned this.

Last edited:

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubbles in the sump are a separate issue. Solved later by a gate valve on the open channel and valve adjustment on the return output( if needed) Here’s a link explaining Durso’s etc. for your perusal. It’s an inferior method of plumbing a tank. ( in my opinion of course and even admitted in the article)
http://gmacreef.com/aquarium-overflows-durso-herbie-and-bean-setups/

You have two drains going into your sump which is enough to get you a full siphon and an open channel.

All I’m doing is recommending a full siphon and an open channel( since you don’t have a third standpipe and since your complaint is noise and bubbles, which is what people with the current system you’re running just deal with.)

Ok, you finally kinda sorta said ditch durso and go herbie. Except in another thread you said going with full siphon in one overflow box, and “open channel” in the other was not good. And you also said putting all the water going down one overflow was ok, and that the weir could handle it. Which may or may not be true, depending on how much water you need going down. You obviously never did it, or did it enough to know that one weir on a large tank can be limiting, and certainly shouldn’t be coming across as an expert.

Op also never said he wanted silent, but has said a few times that he doesn’t need silent, but a little quieter would be nice. Along those lines, pretty sure I already mentioned converting to herbie or bean animal, by actually saying and suggesting that, and op said he’s happy with durso, just wants to tweak.

Have also noticed that you like to insult and disagree. Sometimes even with yourself. So Have fun with that. I will pass on your sure to be reply, and give the thread back to op.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will work but better to use air tubing with no valve. Adjust by sliding the tube down into pipe, a lil at a time, til you find the sweet spot for least noise. Then leave the tube that’s hanging out the top bent up and then down so it’s just above the water level in the overflow box. So if the water level should ever rise for any reason the air tube which is normally sucking air will get blocked with water which will increase the flow going down the drain and avoid a flood.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, you finally kinda sorta said ditch durso and go herbie. Except in another thread you said going with full siphon in one overflow box, and “open channel” in the other was not good. And you also said putting all the water going down one overflow was ok, and that the weir could handle it. Which may or may not be true, depending on how much water you need going down. You obviously never did it, or did it enough to know that one weir on a large tank can be limiting, and certainly shouldn’t be coming across as an expert.

Op also never said he wanted silent, but has said a few times that he doesn’t need silent, but a little quieter would be nice. Along those lines, pretty sure I already mentioned converting to herbie or bean animal, by actually saying and suggesting that, and op said he’s happy with durso, just wants to tweak.

Have also noticed that you like to insult and disagree. Sometimes even with yourself. So Have fun with that. I will pass on your sure to be reply, and give the thread back to op.
First, read the very first page of this thread. OP’s desire was to “quiet” the system. Repeatedly stated. It wasn’t stated until later, within this last page, after you and I traded debate, that the OP is okay with noise. The very definition of “quiet” is just that. And it’s not achievable with a Durso. Hence my recommendation to go with a full siphon and open channel.
And I think you’re confusing the terms standpipe and weir. Yes a weir Can handle the full flow in respects to what our systems turn over. The standpipes on the other hand are a different story. Hence the recommendation for him to run an open channel, which absorbs the flow that the full siphon cannot. Perhaps familiarize yourself with the difference between a weir and a standpipe.

In regards to being insulting, anyone can simply file back a page and view for themselves who it was who chose to engage in a somewhat heated manner. But I have no problem with a spirited debate. It breaks up the monotony.

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so since i am fine with a little noise id rather not go doing major changes to the plumbing if i dont need to. Im ok keeping dursos i just want it quieter then it is now.
Would the air line in the top of the standpipe be the best or only way to do this? Or could i add a tee to that horizontal pipe with an air release at the top?

Also is it ok that one drain has a much higher flow then the other?

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is seperating the drain pipes really the only way to get this quiet? Ive already redone this plumbing twice i really dont want to cut it out and do it again lol

I have found that if i cover one hole on the pipe with my finger it quiets it but i dont know if blocking this hole is ok or what i could block it with permanently. Id like to be able to understand what is causing this noise and why blocking that hole fixes it lol pic to show the hole im talking about.
Also there is another hole around the other side of the pipe so 3 total
d6a941104f22dba24eededbffa504650.jpg

Lower the flow and it will quiet the drain. you are over filling it so it needs more air.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so since i am fine with a little noise id rather not go doing major changes to the plumbing if i dont need to. Im ok keeping dursos i just want it quieter then it is now.
Would the air line in the top of the standpipe be the best or only way to do this? Or could i add a tee to that horizontal pipe with an air release at the top?

Also is it ok that one drain has a much higher flow then the other?
Think both options should be taken. The tee will lessen the bubbles in sump issue, and the air hose will help with noise.

I can certainly see y you are confused with all this conflicting info all over the place.

If the tank is level and both durso at same level inside overflow, then they’re both draining the same. The addition flow your sensing coming out the bottom is simply because one pipe is straight down so falling faster with more air

OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think both options should be taken. The tee will lessen the bubbles in sump issue, and the air hose will help with noise.

I can certainly see y you are confused with all this conflicting info all over the place.

If the tank is level and both durso at same level inside overflow, then they’re both draining the same. The addition flow your sensing coming out the bottom is simply because one pipe is straight down so falling faster with more air
I believe all the noise is coming from the bubbles in the sump. The standpipes seem pretty quiet. So should i still try to get airline tubing in there? I tried with some ro tubing i have but its too big to fit in the hole at the top.. not sure i can find anything smaller then that or should i drill the hole bigger..

Would this be a good placement for the tee? Thats at the end of the horizontal pipe so i figure that will let the air out before it hits the sump.. (i hope? Lol )
64091dc2d7adea5b8e7134a65d428a93.jpg

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, you could try a go without the air tube

Place the tee down, roundabouts, to sump water level.
And the tee turn the other way, as it is in the pic I posted earlier, would be more effective. Elbow first, then tee, like pic

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bthomas

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, you could try a go without the air tube

Would try to get the tee down, roundabouts, to sump water level.
And the tee turn the other way, as it is in the pic I posted earlier, would be more effective
Ok i could maybe take out the 45 section there and have a straight down pipe instead and put the tee there? Im just trying to keep it so i can run filter socks so if i put the tee right at water level i wont be able to get a sock around it..

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. That could work. Another option, maybe not as effective, take out that last tee, and replace it with a street 45 deg elbow into tee.
The closer to water level the better and safer

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back