How frequently do you change your carbon?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How often do you change out your carbon? I'm thinking once a month is probably an adequate routine, but figured I'd check to see what others are finding is best practice.

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you all leave carbon running constantly? I only ever turn it on for an hour or so after i put a hand in the tank or some other contamination happens

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you all leave carbon running constantly? I only ever turn it on for an hour or so after i put a hand in the tank or some other contamination happens
I'm planning to run it constantly as part of my filtration maintenance.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What brand are you guys and gals using?

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I run it on at all times. If any corals or any substance of any level of toxicity are in the water, the carbon picks it up.

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run BRS Rox passively in my sump and change it monthly. There a shelf built into my sump where all the water passes through and it's perfect for a bag of carbon.

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run it 3-5days max one week, after some weeks without and then other 3-5days again

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually replace my GAC once every 28 days, but once a week I'll take it out and give it a good rinse under the faucet. It's amazing what this small bag of carbon can accumulate sometimes.

I use the Aquaclear inserts btw. This usually costs me about $25 a year, but I do a lot of trading at my LFS so it's all gravy.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What brand are you guys and gals using?
I'll be using ROX 0.8 by AquaMaxx.

AquaMaxx-ROX-0.8-Carbon-Filter-Media-4-Quart-99.jpg

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx...dia-AquaMaxx-UJ00177-FIFMCHCM-UJ00179-vi.html

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Red Sea Reef Spec carbon all the time and change it out once a month.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say I really run carbon. I have some on hand for emergency sake. Once in a while I'll put some in and run it passively. When I do I usually put it in for a few days and then pull it out. I usually run the BRS ROX.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very good GAC. Exact same as the BRS. Both flip flop in price

This is the source
http://www.cabotcorp.com/solutions/products-plus/activated-carbon/extruded

Change it out about once a month.

My post here lays out what I would look for in a GAC based on an excellent discussion between Boomer, Randy, Cliff, and a few others from a few years ago

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/any-ops-on-decent-activated-carbon.270448/#post-3245038

biggen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run BRS .8 Rox constantly. I change it once a week with my water change.

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running the BRS dual reactor, both canisters half full of carbon and GFO mixed 50/50. Every week as part of my routine I change out the lead canister, rotate the lag canister to the lead position, and put the newly filled canister in the lag position. So basically each one gets replaced every 2 weeks. Carbon used for polishing water in an aquarium is more than likely shot after 4 or 5 days, but becomes an effective biofilter. My thinking in the way that I rotate mine out is that by placing the fresh canister in lag behind the lead that has been in there for a week already is that bacteria quickly populates the fresh lag canister. I then flush about 5 gallons through the canisters to remove GFO fines, and that's my weekly water change.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use supernova carbon and change it every two months. When I used ROX 0.8 I change that monthly as well. This carbon is seeded per the company with appropriate bacteria and enzymes that will help break down organics that could bog down the carbon. What I have found is that even after two months still doing a great job and the water is crystal clear but I still change anyway because that's manufacturers recommendations.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back