How frequently do you change your carbon?

Joe Grubbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am running a BRS dual reactor, setup as parallel flow (not series), both canisters loaded with 3 parts ROX carbon to 1 part GFO. If my weekly PO4 readings exceed 0.05 then I change them both. Otherwise I change them monthly. My system has a working volume of 260 gallons.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use supernova carbon and change it every two months. When I used ROX 0.8 I change that monthly as well. This carbon is seeded per the company with appropriate bacteria and enzymes that will help break down organics that could bog down the carbon. What I have found is that even after two months still doing a great job and the water is crystal clear but I still change anyway because that's manufacturers recommendations.
Interesting they market that. I believe its just that. Usually its suggested to change your GAC with in a month because the GAC will get covered in bacteria reducing its effectiveness. Plus, GAC should not be tumbled and once coated with bacteria becomes "clumpy" which again reduces its effectiveness.

Fluidized filters like sand or bio-pellets that would be useful.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is really convenient having the reactor built into the sump. What size heater does the Geo Sump you have hold?
I have 2 300 watt heaters on it. Far more than I need though.

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting they market that. I believe its just that. Usually its suggested to change your GAC with in a month because the GAC will get covered in bacteria reducing its effectiveness. Plus, GAC should not be tumbled and once coated with bacteria becomes "clumpy" which again reduces its effectiveness.

Fluidized filters like sand or bio-pellets that would be useful.
You don't tumble carbon, GFO yes, but not carbon.

sneub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use KZ carbon in a zeolite reactor shaken daily.

wpeterson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change carbon every 3-4 weeks. The BRS ROX and fancier carbon is nice, but I'm not sure it's worth the money. I always rinse the carbon carefully in the reactor to remove the fines and ensure I'm not dumping any debris in the sump. I usually run cheap Marineland carbon.

You also may be able to determine when the carbon becomes "clogged" and flow decreases through your reactor. I have mine setup in a single reactor with 2/3 carbon packed so as not to move, but GFO above that tumbles. I judge flow rate by the amount of tumbling and replace carbon when it goes down or 4 weeks has passed.

BulkReefSupply did some interesting experiments around the effectiveness of media bags vs. reactors and different types of carbon: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/week-24-carbon-gfo-filter-media-clean-stable-reef-tank/

This is why I use a cheap media reactor and basic carbon, should deliver 90% of the value of expensive carbon and expensive reactors. If you're running expensive carbon without a reactor, shelling out for a proper reactor is more valuable than paying for premium carbon material, IMHO.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS Rox.. 3/4 cup 24/7 and change out once a month unless I suspect something is wrong. It's pretty much all used up, I believe, after 3 days it's introduced.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ROX 8 every 3-4 weeks depending on color of water and corals.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back