How much did your Tank Setup Cost??

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My newest tank costs more than I owe on my 2021 honda civic. . I have a spreadsheet going back to 2016 and first tank. I could almost buy a tesla with what I've spent on everything: additives, fish, food, coral, equipment. Everything goes in by year and by tank. I have a general equipment and maintenance column as well as tank specific.

I know almost down to the penny what I've spent and on what (and what it is and where I got it).

My hubby has no clue and we'll just say that his ignorance is my bliss..

Funny that you mentioned this... I have a 2019 civic 2dr and I tell people, that if I could drive it, it would still be more than my car.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sense a backstory here....?
A good buddy that has been super helpful along the way with everything and i think he is growing as impatient as i am with it all. But hey its only a couple hundred for now then lights corals and everything else and boom im right there with everyone.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good buddy that has been super helpful along the way with everything and i think he is growing as impatient as i am with it all. But hey its only a couple hundred for now then lights corals and everything else and boom im right there with everyone.
It’s just sucking me dry breh, I got more on the line this time. When I hit that snag with the sump baffles ugh. Like taking a blow to the chest. Takes a lot of money yea but the Grit and Patience stacked on top is the hard part.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just sucking me dry breh, I got more on the line this time. When I hit that snag with the sump baffles ugh. Like taking a blow to the chest. Takes a lot of money yea but the Grit and Patience stacked on top is the hard part.
Yea patience is crucial in this game called tanks. Man ups downs sideways and everything inbetween but you got this brotha keep that head up and run it bro.....

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m comfortable burning money for this hobby (like tryin new gear or buying that risky fish) but a hobby shouldn’t drive you to debt….that’s what addictions are for.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m comfortable burning money for this hobby (like tryin new gear or buying that risky fish) but a hobby shouldn’t drive you to debt….that’s what addictions are for.

I'm all for a hobby (I have too many) but to see some of what folks buy on here and dump within a year (because it didn't work out) is unreal.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all for a hobby (I have too many) but to see some of what folks buy on here and dump within a year (because it didn't work out) is unreal.
Yea, I know I’ve been there when testing new methods. Some of those learning curves can get expensive!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth, my tank lighting escapades in the past two years paid for a few 120g tanks by now.
Ha lights oh yea that’s no cheap rabbit hole to go down. For me it was the filtration rabbit hole. Roller mat, ats, fuge. No longer using any of them.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha lights oh yea that’s no cheap rabbit hole to go down. For me it was the filtration rabbit hole. Roller mat, ats, fuge. No longer using any of them.
Lol. I get it. Running filter rolls galore in my tank(s) case.

I can tell you about every chinesium black box light between Mars aqua, viaspectara, nicrew, noopsyche and went back to what I know, T8/T5's with the tail between my legs, lol. Admittedly the led light bars are legit

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ripped up my running total at 10K so many years ago during the install and the tank wasn't even wet yet. I haven't kept track since and I enjoy the final results so much better not knowing the total cost.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What , phlizons same as wills 18 inches above the water. Blue knob straight down white knob straight up. Montipora birdsnest zoas palys . They are all doing good. I did mess up . Put some very old rock in my sump with out cleaning it an it shot my nitrates to the sky. But my phosphate hasn't moved. Just got my scrubber dialed in after 1.5 years so far. 125 6 foot x 22 inches x 18 inches .3 phlizons at 90 bucks apiece. I am good with that. If one goes out . I will buy 3 more. I love them. Another 6 months and I will try some harder sps. I feel my tank is mature I just don't want to kill high dollar sps . I have coraline algea on 3 sides of my tank. And rock is turning pink fast now.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back