How much did your Tank Setup Cost??

OrlandoAIOReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. I got a used 240g acrylic with slight scratching that I buffed out with Novus for 600 bucks. Throw in a cheap jebao return pump and a decent sump and it's less than a grand for an enormous setup. I built my stand from 2 by 8s but likely it would be way more now.
About to buy a used 240 acrylic this week with stand for 700 & a old dresser that’s been in my garage for 3 years, delivered :) did you use sandpaper before the Nuvos& it worked good? Also what size sump and lighting? Thanks

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only been in the hobby for a yr or so. my first tank got wet a yr ago this week. I used to maintain a spreadsheet of everything; equipment, fish, corals etc but its long been abandoned. In the last yr I've spent 20-22k across roughly 300G of water.

In that time ive traveled close to 120 days so I definitely added things for redundancy that most wouldnt but I still dont have a whole home generator due to permitting issues and Tesla wont let me have a powerwall without putting up solar panels. Either of those would be a quick 12-15k. I also have an extra bedroom thats somehow completely full of gear.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to buy a used 240 acrylic this week with stand for 700 & a old dresser that’s been in my garage for 3 years, delivered :) did you use sandpaper before the Nuvos& it worked good? Also what size sump and lighting? Thanks
Yes, I used the novus first with a polishing kit off amazon and a plug in drill. Then a normal oscillating sander but would probably use an orbital sander with some kind of randomization if I were to do again. Started at 2000 or 4000 grit (can't quite remember) and went down all the way to 400 or 800 (can't quite remember lol). It is quite laborious and I recommend having an assistant to help you move the tank on the side as otherwise you will need to reach down into the tank which is tough at that size. I didn't get all of the hazing out - I imagine if I had spent roughly twice as long polishing/sanding it would look essentially new. It also generates a lot of white milky water that sticks to everything. Outdoors is easiest (just in time for good weather).
I also recommend ear protection as you would be operating a hand drill at full power in a large hollow object for hours. I didn't use it and the noise starts to become very aggravating. Let me know if you have any other questions. It's a lot of work if you want good results but you can save cash which is always great

As for the sump, a trigger systems...I think 32 or 36 gallons? I would also go larger here. I think if I had to redo I'd do a 55 or thereabouts. Esp because in that tank plant detritus and mulm is off the charts.

LIghting was 50w spotlights off Amazon, but these have slowly been swapped as they failed (poor drivers or poor quality components). Ended up just hardwiring some artika daylight panels I wasn't using from 3 yrs ago into 2 4ft panels. I like the diffused look a bit more but still use the spotlights on high light plants. My fish seem slightly less skittish with a blanket of light rather than all spotlights.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone just starting .
the best advice …. Stop counting .
Definitely the best advice!
I added my 4-5 most expensive fish up and gave up with counting…
I was at 818 and stopped counting

NkSde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my wife asks couple hundred

if I’m honest though an early 20gal L w budget in mind I’ve probably spent at least 1.5 grand on equipment and testing and livestock

though it’s also bought me hours of peace and focus.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asking this seems a lot like asking a gal how old she us, or how much she weighs!! I'm old skool, if I need to ask, it's more than I'm going comfortable with!!

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a very basic setup at the budget end, hunting for sales and with DIY, ignoring wasted/nixed parts, failed attempt at DIY dry rock, testing kits, DIY stand, copepod cultures, fish and consumables (salt and food), FOWLR so only room lights….

Aqueon 75 gallon on sale - $120
Aqueon 20L for sump - $25
Glass baffles ~ $36
Silicone ~$10
Glass lid ~$40
Lifereef overflow - ~$200 inc postage etc
Eshopps filter sock holder ~$80
Return pump ~$80
PVC tubing ~$40
Heaters ~$120
Heater controller ~$60
Aragonite sand ~$40
Dry rock ~$200 ish
Egg crate $20
Power heads ~$80
RODI BRS 5 stage - $180
Filter socks $20
Buckets+Water Jugs - $50

Total: $1400 ish

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back