How to feed clown fry with TDO

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im gonna order some of that food from my lfs and give it a shot.
Just remember to test your water daily. Im sure that food will foul your water if you don't watch it.

OP
OP
Kraede

Kraede

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Status 7 days after hatching:

I feed a tiny amount of TDO three or four times a day, all the fish are eating it. I still keep a population of rotifers, just to be sure. On the picture you can see the red stomachs of the fry.

I wonder when metamorphosis kicks in.

IMG_1482422157.205711.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kraede

Kraede

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And on the day of Christmas it happened. 10 days after hatching the first little clowns got their first stripe :)
IMG_1482664956.668105.jpg

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No hatch for me last night,
How many did you end up with to this point?

OP
OP
Kraede

Kraede

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have a hatch tomorrow then. I have around 30 nemos left, the metamorphosis took it's toll

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still have a remarkable sucess with this being your first time. I still have trouble keeping the rotifers alive in the hatch tank.

OP
OP
Kraede

Kraede

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been adding rotifers twice a day until day 8. Now I have discontinued the rotifers. I hope it was not to eao

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there eating i think your safe buddy. There is not much nutrition in rotifers any way so a better diet would stand to support them and keep them thriving. Im hoping my lfs can get me this TDO by Thursday if not i will be back to hatching brine again.. [emoji45]

OP
OP
Kraede

Kraede

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of fish are dead the only thing I can think of being wrong is the food. Perhaps brine is the only food that works.

Q: how mush water do you change at a time, and how fast do you add it to the larvae tank?

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow mine out in a 5gal half full for the first phase into metamorfece. I would change about a gallon daily because rotifers that die and settle at the bottom of the tank. After 10 to 12 days i fill the tank up and increase the air sone to help circulate the tank better. By 19 days i move them to a 10 gallon with a sponge filter and just make up fresh salt water to change out the tank from that point forward. I would watch the ammonia and PH levels as that will take them quickly. As far as the food im not sure what to tell you because i haven't used it yet but if there eating well i would guess its the water and you need to test it.

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. if i counted right from your post there 14 days old now and should be through metamorphosis. I use water out of the parent tank to do a gallon change each day and my PH stays at 8 to 8.2. Most all of the material i have talks about a low PH of 7.8 but i cant get mine that low and i have raised two batches now and waiting on my third to hatch still. So i am not sure where the danger zone is as they say the higher PH makes the ammonia more toxic. I think there still to young to put them in freshly made salt water and i gust did mine after i moved them to the larger tank and just gradually introduced the new water in with the DT water as i went along. At that point i only had 5 left on my first sescessful batch. My second go around i had 15 that lived after still loosing a couple into like day 25. This is a major challenge buddy and i sill cant tell you what may be wrong as im not sure if the new food fouls the water quickly or if its just what happens in the normal process. You have went far beyond what took me three hatches before i got them past like day 5.

OP
OP
Kraede

Kraede

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I It all works for me until day 9 or 10 that is where mine started dying... I think what I will do is doing bigger but slower water changes, and watch the ph/po4 of the water. Also I will keep a population of rotifers for longer. I don't know if brine is the right food, I may try another batch with TDO

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet... i was gonna be sad..

I would say your about at the normal rate of success or about the same luck as i have had. I get about 40 or more fry if i get lucky and the lay on something i can take out of the tank..lol
My fist time with success i had to bail them out with a bole and only had around 30 with 5 that made it all the way through. Not sure why some make it and the rest die but i keep trying to improve every step as i learn from my last. I took a brake for about a month because its a lot of dedication to these little guys and take me away from my other duties with the display tank.. i need another me from time to time..lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back