Hydros MACNA Announcement?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The X10 looks great but I'd like to see a cheaper basic 4-head doser with just command and power input for people who don't have a need for all the additional ports on the X10.
Right, why not have a command wire or a wire from any drive port or something other than lumping them together into that one piece. Idk it's not for me even if I didn't have any of their equipment yet. Sorry it just looks bad it's like in a meeting they were like how can we save 100$ off the total price one guy in the back standing in the corner was like" let's put the dosing pumps on the side" and some other genius was like duhhhhhhhhhhhh ahhhhh great idea Jim, get Jim a office!, Jim's real name is Dave, and it's his first week. :)

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The X10 looks great but I'd like to see a cheaper basic 4-head doser with just command and power input for people who don't have a need for all the additional ports on the X10.
They could do that but it only make a small amount of difference in the cost and with dosing pumps I would need the 4 sense ports anyway.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, why not have a command wire or a wire from any drive port or something other than lumping them together into that one piece. Idk it's not for me even if I didn't have any of their equipment yet. Sorry it just looks bad it's like in a meeting they were like how can we save 100$ off the total price one guy in the back standing in the corner was like" let's put the dosing pumps on the side" and some other genius was like duhhhhhhhhhhhh ahhhhh great idea Jim, get Jim a office!, Jim's real name is Dave, and it's his first week. :)
There are several wires going to each since these are reversible and the flow rate can varied. It think the range is something close to 1-100ml per minute. That is probably why they decided to build them into the controller. Also there are a lot of people that were asking for multiple head dosing pump package. Also if you use this with the iV it will take at least 2 of these dosing pumps and the salinity port and pH port. The third dosing pump can be the single Hydros dosing pump. Also the iV requires one drive port. So at least the pH salinity and one drive port and two dosing the dosing pumps are needed with the iV. My guess is there will be a bundled package with the X10 and iV together.

rmcrom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could do that but it only make a small amount of difference in the cost and with dosing pumps I would need the 4 sense ports anyway.
They mentioned the salinity probe that comes with the X10 is $180 all by itself. It seems like a doser-only unit could be a good deal cheaper. If you wanted more than 4 pumps are you supposed to get 2 X10s?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They mentioned the salinity probe that comes with the X10 is $180 all by itself. It seems like a doser-only unit could be a good deal cheaper. If you wanted more than 4 pumps are you supposed to get 2 X10s?
Yes but like the other controllers they should have it as controller only, but you would have to get the power pack for it since I believe it is like the WE as far as the pumps and the power pack. The dosing pumps have servo motors. Not all of the dosing pumps you normally use will need the low flow precision that these will have and if not and you are not using the iF unit then you have the two drive ports that can run the Hydros dosing pumps as an add on.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On average, how many power outages does a residential home have a year that would be of a long enough duration to completely drain (cycle) the battery?

My guess, is that someone is not going to have thier lead acid battery backup fail on them from too many cycles.
My utility company switched to staggered rates (pay a lot more from 9am -9pm. My plan is to use battery power for those 12 hours each day.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is that lithium batteries are not supposed to be stored fully charged.... so using one in a battery backup device that is intended to stay charged at 100% is not the best use of a lithium battery. You will get a very short life out of that battery.

Lithium batteries have a storage voltage. which is way under being fully charged. Whenever a lithium batttery is charged over it's storage voltage, it's life is shortened.

Thays why new cell phones all have that annoying "battery saver" feature that everyone turns off. But that feature is meant to turn off your phone charger when the battery has reached aprox 60% charge.... that is it's storage voltage. If you charge it beyond that, you are shortening it's life. For the longest battery life span, you shouldn't charge a lithium battery over it's storage voltage... but we all do, which is why they don't last as long as their theoretical lifespan... we abuse them and use them incorrectly.

lithium batteries are not the same as lead acid batteries and can not be treated as such, but we all try!
I'm talkinmg about LiFePO4 batteries. When they say say 5Kwh, they deliver 5kwh. Cell phone batteries are an entirely different animal.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My utility company switched to staggered rates (pay a lot more from 9am -9pm. My plan is to use battery power for those 12 hours each day.
The battery backup will not run power hungry things. It is mainly there to keep flow pumps running but at a lower speed. Also those pump will need to be pumps that will still run at 12v since the backup is only 12v. Not all pumps will run at 12v. My guess is that it will not make a lot of difference in the bill for a normal size tank. My total average wattage consumption is around 150 watts on a 42 gallon tank.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The battery backup will not run power hungry things. It is mainly there to keep flow pumps running but at a lower speed. Also those pump will need to be pumps that will still run at 12v since the backup is only 12v. Not all pumps will run at 12v. My guess is that it will not make a lot of difference in the bill for a normal size tank. My total average wattage consumption is around 150 watts on a 42 gallon tank.
Depends on the battery. Solar power batteries can be had in 24V and even 48V. Guess i'll be building my own setup.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the battery. Solar power batteries can be had in 24V and even 48V. Guess i'll be building my own setup.
Our rate is $0.0445 per KWH so my tank uses around 10-15 cents a day worth of electricity. It is a very small percentage of or electrical use. I would guess that running our microwave for 3 minutes uses more than the tank does all day. The electric stove and dish washer and clothes dryer are power hogs compared to the tank. That doesn't even mention heating and cooling the house in an all electric home.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our rate is $0.0445 per KWH so my tank uses around 10-15 cents a day worth of electricity. It is a very small percentage of or electrical use. I would guess that running our microwave for 3 minutes uses more than the tank does all day. The electric stove and dish washer and clothes dryer are power hogs compared to the tank. That doesn't even mention heating and cooling the house in an all electric home.
Good for you!

My rates are as follows;
Time of Use rates base prices for electricity on when customers use energy, with higher prices at times when people use more energy and lower prices when people use less. Colorado's system is divided into three rates. Off-Peak hours, before 1 p.m. and after 7 p.m. each day, cost users 9.9 cents per kilowatt hour. Mid-Peak hours, between 1 and 3 p.m., cost 13.6 cents per kilowatt hour in the winter and 18.9 cents per kilowatt hour in the summer. On-Peak hours, between 3 and 7 p.m., cost 17.3 cents per kilowatt hour in the winter and 27.9 cents per kilowatt hour in the summer.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good for you!

My rates are as follows;
Time of Use rates base prices for electricity on when customers use energy, with higher prices at times when people use more energy and lower prices when people use less. Colorado's system is divided into three rates. Off-Peak hours, before 1 p.m. and after 7 p.m. each day, cost users 9.9 cents per kilowatt hour. Mid-Peak hours, between 1 and 3 p.m., cost 13.6 cents per kilowatt hour in the winter and 18.9 cents per kilowatt hour in the summer. On-Peak hours, between 3 and 7 p.m., cost 17.3 cents per kilowatt hour in the winter and 27.9 cents per kilowatt hour in the summer.
So I have to ask, you diying a lithium battery setup, are you planning to seriously recoup your cost versus running off the grid, just for your aquarium?

I get it, your rates are 'high'. Our rates in CA will kick your teeth in, but I still can't envision the build cost of a lithium battery setup, whatever maintenance is required and grafting this into a aquarium setup for daily use to be 'cheaper'. It's prolly going to take YEARS to even see any real savings.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That kraken looks cool! I have a tank where I run a 10a meanwell 24vdc supply currently controlling various things through relays. This just looks like it can simplify it for the average Joe blow to do the same! Good one coralvue!

I'm seriously considering jumping ship from Neptune to these guys as the A1 models (classics) are being slowly pushed to obsolescence as new gear is released.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good for you!

My rates are as follows;
Those rates are insane. I have an all electric home and at my rates I still pay Between $150-$200 a month. The winter months are the most expensive for us. I used to be wors when we didn't have the heat pump. Before we got it the winter bills were more like $400-$500 and that was 20 years ago.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those rates are insane. I have an all electric home and at my rates I still pay Between $150-$200 a month. The winter months are the most expensive for us. I used to be wors when we didn't have the heat pump. Before we got it the winter bills were more like $400-$500 and that was 20 years ago.
We have that time of use crap pricing too, but I stuck with the non flexible pricing as seen below, our prices are high but consistent:

Screenshot_20220916-103413~2.png

Some folks with our local utility went for the TOU (Time of use) plans which are beyond bogus and I assume @Spieg has to go with, with his/her local utility. I usually fall into tier2 pricing with central air in a 1300 sq ft condo, during the summer months.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have that time of use crap pricing too, but I stuck with the non flexible pricing as seen below, our prices are high but consistent:

Some folks with our local utility went for the TOU (Time of use) plans which are beyond bogus and I assume @Spieg has to go with, with his/her local utility. I usually fall into tier2 pricing with central air in a 1300 sq ft condo, during the summer months.
Our provider is a COOP so they consider each member as an owner in the COOP. So that might be one reason our rates are so low. I do think there are other things that get charge to the account other than just electricity used, but my guess is that you have the same type charges also.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good for you!

My rates are as follows;
Also take into consideration that there will be a loos in converting the batteries to AC if needed. Also say you use 2kw of battery power each day. It may take as much as 2.5kw each day to recharge those batteries back to where they were.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also take into consideration that there will be a loos in converting the batteries to AC if needed. Also say you use 2kw of battery power each day. It may take as much as 2.5kw each day to recharge those batteries back to where they were.
New inverters are typically 95-97% efficient

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have the option to opt out but then I have to pay a $50 per month fee to have someone come out to read the meter.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the option to opt out but then I have to pay a $50 per month fee to have someone come out to read the meter.
That is odd we have the meters that require no one to come out and read. We used to have to read or own meters before that so no one was coming out to read them. I guess if some was sending in what looked like unreal readings that someone would come out and check it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back