Marine Life Sea GIF by BBC

A Fish Called Wanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you thaw it?
Welcome to Reef2Reef . I thaw my frozen food in a cup with some water from the tank. Then I pour it into a small fish net to strain out the water. After that I take another small amount of water from that tank and pour it through the net to give the food a cleanse over the sink. It’s then a good time to add a few drops of Selcon or any other types of vitamins to the food.

A cool good little treat for your fish as you grow into the hobbie is when your having fish for dinner cut a little piece and throw it into the tank. My fish go nuts when I cut up lobster, shrimp, striped bass, black fish and throw it in. ❤️ Good Luck and always remember to take your time and do your research prior to buying anything..

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally made the leap! I got my first fish which is a Firefish goby and his name is Gomez! I love him so much already! I've had him for four days and he seems to be liking the tank even though he's the only one in there! I want to know what's the best food to feed him. Also, some algae is starting to grow now that I've had the lights on for 4 days and I was wondering if it's time to get a clean up crew going. If so, what should I get?
Welcome and congrats!!

For the CuC, I recommend 0.75 to 1 snails per gallon depending on the amount of rock you have (a variety of species, not including nassarius), and then 0.5 to 0.75 hermits per gallon and 0.25 nassarius snails per gallon. If you have a lot of open sandbed, I’d also recommend a fighting conch. You don’t want to add the CuC all at once, add maybe 25% each month over 4 months. So for a 32 biocube that’d be 24 to 32 snails (turbo, trochus, cerith, astrea, nerite, etc), 16 to 24 hermits (blue leg, scarlet, Mexican red leg, etc), and 8 nassarius snails. I feel like a lot of people vastly underestimate how big of a CuC they need.

OP
OP
SlicVic

SlicVic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and congrats!!

For the CuC, I recommend 0.75 to 1 snails per gallon depending on the amount of rock you have (a variety of species, not including nassarius), and then 0.5 to 0.75 hermits per gallon and 0.25 nassarius snails per gallon. If you have a lot of open sandbed, I’d also recommend a fighting conch. You don’t want to add the CuC all at once, add maybe 25% each month over 4 months. So for a 32 biocube that’d be 24 to 32 snails (turbo, trochus, cerith, astrea, nerite, etc), 16 to 24 hermits (blue leg, scarlet, Mexican red leg, etc), and 8 nassarius snails. I feel like a lot of people vastly underestimate how big of a CuC they need.
Thank you for the information! When do I start my water change regimen?

Colleen McLain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally made the leap! I got my first fish which is a Firefish goby and his name is Gomez! I love him so much already! I've had him for four days and he seems to be liking the tank even though he's the only one in there! I want to know what's the best food to feed him. Also, some algae is starting to grow now that I've had the lights on for 4 days and I was wondering if it's time to get a clean up crew going. If so, what should I get?
First fish are so much fun! I started my clean up crew with the red hermets, 2 turbos, and a combo of beehive snail and little black hermits. So far they are thriving well, 1 of the red ones changes shells everyday I named it Herma. LOL

OP
OP
SlicVic

SlicVic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First fish are so much fun! I started my clean up crew with the red hermets, 2 turbos, and a combo of beehive snail and little black hermits. So far they are thriving well, 1 of the red ones changes shells everyday I named it Herma. LOL
Should I do a water change first before I add my Critters?

Colleen McLain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and congrats!!

Agreed

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back