I finally got my first fish!

Colleen McLain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the best test kit you recommend
I believe most live fish sources have kits with test tube included, and you should add phosphate test* I use API because I shop at Salt specialties stores. Petco is a good source but I have found the knowledge base is limited.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thank you so much! should I turn off the filter when I'm feeding? What is the best test kit you recommend?
I suppose it depends if your fish are go getters or if they are sedentary feeders.
I turn off my return pump and all but one wavemaker when I feed.

Colleen McLain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also do I turn off the power when I'm feeding?
I have never done that, the water column moves the food around - giving the distribruting the food to every one. My most dificult feedin was the coral beauty grabbed the food before my goby could (He is timid) I was worried he'd starve to death lol

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome hope Gomez and you are able to have blessed years to come congrats and welcome to r2r
1649770762779.jpg

OP
OP
SlicVic

SlicVic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.
I have been loving all the help and information since I'm so new to this! Do you have any suggestions on a cleaner crew oh, the best food to eat, and should I turn off the filter when I'm feeding?

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been loving all the help and information since I'm so new to this! Do you have any suggestions on a cleaner crew oh, the best food to eat, and should I turn off the filter when I'm feeding?
I have Trochus snails. Good for keeping glass clean. I’ve had lots of red and blue leg hermits but I only see one at the moment. I feed a range of frozen cubes, some dry pellets and now and again some seaweed strips.

OP
OP
SlicVic

SlicVic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Trochus snails. Good for keeping glass clean. I’ve had lots of red and blue leg hermits but I only see one at the moment. I feed a range of frozen cubes, some dry pellets and now and again some seaweed strips.
Thank you for the info! Tomorrow I will be getting a few snail varieties to start my clean up crew!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally made the leap! I got my first fish which is a Firefish goby and his name is Gomez! I love him so much already! I've had him for four days and he seems to be liking the tank even though he's the only one in there! I want to know what's the best food to feed him. Also, some algae is starting to grow now that I've had the lights on for 4 days and I was wondering if it's time to get a clean up crew going. If so, what should I get?

Welcome to you and Gomez! Glad you joined. I'm on my second firefish because while I screened in back of canopy and jump proofed everything for it - one day I left canopy door open and Olympic Carpet Surfing Games ended poorly (found way too late). I feel firefish help the other fish feel more safe and therefore other fish are out more when I have a firefish (have traditional red & purple too).

Gomez will eat nearly anything, and like all fish variety helps. I cut bits of different types of frozen cubes up into tiny cup, thaw in saltwater and feed to my fish.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Options I feed (not limited to these) - but just bits of cube esp for 1 firefish - this selection shown would last multiple years for you (and they do last me a while too even with my 22 fish in 180g):

foods cutup mixed together then refrozen.JPG Frozen Food as of 2021-05-13.JPG

Last edited:

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! should I turn off the filter when I'm feeding? What is the best test kit you recommend?
sounds to me that by the type and amount of attention you pay to your fish that parsing out the feeding a little at a time lets you watch the fish eat and reduces the need to turn off the pumps - I have one tank where I do because of some shy bottom feeders and one tank where it would never hit bottom because of the aggressive eaters...

try a little see what works best you you..

OP
OP
SlicVic

SlicVic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to you and Gomez! Glad you joined. I'm on my second firefish because while I screened in back of canopy and jump proofed everything for it - one day I left canopy door open and Olympic Carpet Surfing Games ended poorly (found way too late). I feel firefish help the other fish feel more safe and therefore other fish are out more when I have a firefish (have traditional red & purple too).

Gomez will eat nearly anything, and like all fish variety helps. I cut bits of different types of frozen cubes up into tiny cup, thaw in saltwater and feed to my fish.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Options I feed (not limited to these) - but just bits of cube esp for 1 firefish - this selection shown would last multiple years for you (and they do last me a while too even with my 22 fish in 180g):

foods cutup mixed together then refrozen.JPG Frozen Food as of 2021-05-13.JPG
Wow! Thank you for all this information and the pictures! I'm not very technologically savvy so I have a hard time doing anything but posting questions haha! Today is the day I get to get my second fish and I'm thinking about a pajama Cardinal. Any thoughts?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 120 81.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%

Back