I have a 54 litre tank

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Budget? Tank dimensions? Personal aesthetics for inside like bluer or whiter light and outside for tank mounting options? What type of tank do you want in the future(full sps or mixed or softy, etc)?

Guessing you meant lights and not filter lights but what did you mean just in case?

OP
OP
kevin white

kevin white

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Budget? Tank dimensions? Personal aesthetics for inside like bluer or whiter light and outside for tank mounting options? What type of tank do you want in the future(full sps or mixed or softy, etc)?

Guessing you meant lights and not filter lights but what did you mean just in case?
it will be on a budget it’s a 54 litre tetra starter line aquarium

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have been a little more clear, What is your budget? How much are you willing to spend on the light fixture? Exact dimensions in cm or inches of aquarium?
You really arent giving us anything to work with without those answers

OP
OP
kevin white

kevin white

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have been a little more clear, What is your budget? How much are you willing to spend on the light fixture? Exact dimensions in cm or inches of aquarium?
You really arent giving us anything to work with without those answers
it’s 60x30x30cm my budget is 100 pounds

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok now I know that it is a 30cm width tank it does help narrow down some options.
Are you looking to keep corals? Which types? Also have you previously had a reef tank before?

OP
OP
kevin white

kevin white

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok now I know that it is a 30cm width tank it does help narrow down some options.
Are you looking to keep corals? Which types? Also have you previously had a reef tank befor
no I’m new to reef keeping and yes I would like corals

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright good to know. There is a lot of research to do when getting into reefing but a couple of easy sources I always share to newcomers are bulk reef supply's youtube videos and beginner guide, Liveaquaria.com for general fish guidelines and minimum tank size, and tidal gardens for basic coral care (all linked below).
The one that will be in your budget would be the nicrew 50w led. You will have some light spill but it will grow corals and comes with everything you need including mount at 108 pounds.
Another option is to use something a little more expensive like reef led bars. Some of the ones we have over here in the states are Orphek, quanta reef, and 21ledusa but I am not positive what is available over by you that might compare. 2 lights will be ideal but 1 will definitely be good for soft corals and fish until you can afford the second one. These are also higher quality lights than the nicrew or smatfarms

Liveaquaria.com

Tidalgardens.com

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smatfarms is a good budget option as well but I am not seeing it on amazon in the UK, maybe the US amazon will ship over if you can check. These are another like the nicrew but a bit higher powered and the form factor might be a tad better than the nicrew for your tank

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember to put salt mix (get a large mix as its more economical), and test kits into the budget as well. Also know how you will be getting rodi water for this aquarium whether is is picking it up at a LFS or local grocery store. With all that you should be busy for a while, lol.
Good luck

OP
OP
kevin white

kevin white

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smatfarms is a good budget option as well but I am not seeing it on amazon in the UK, maybe the US amazon will ship over if you can check. These are another like the nicrew but a bit higher powered and the form factor might be a tad better than the nicrew for your tank

ok thanks for helping have you got any recommendations for a filter

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a small tank so you can use a lot of options. There are internal filters as well as hob that I would probably use for a nano tank. There are also drop in all in one (aio) kits. Then there is the option of drilling the tank and putting in a sump underneath. Again budget here is a big factor.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then there are further options, for example with hob filters there are nicer more expensive ones like the seachem tidal 35 and cheaper but still good ones like the aquaclear 50.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60x30x30 eheim set (basicaly same as tetra).....

2000lph stream pump, diy led lights, diy external overflow, small sump with heater, activated carbon and some chinese nani skimmer (uselles).....

So, really no need for big money on small tanks.....

Attachments

• nano.jpg
    nano.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
kevin white

kevin white

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60x30x30 eheim set (basicaly same as tetra).....

2000lph stream pump, diy led lights, diy external overflow, small sump with heater, activated carbon and some chinese nani skimmer (uselles).....

So, really no need for big money on small tanks.....
look good but I’m a bit scared to drill for a sump thinking of diy aio or a canister filter

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also didnt want to drill, so i buildt external overflow with pipes. Worked great, no issues, it takes little space, but its worth to have any size sump, for equipment and misc....

OP
OP
kevin white

kevin white

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also didnt want to drill, so i buildt external overflow with pipes. Worked great, no issues, it takes little space, but its worth to have any size sump, for equipment and misc....
with the space I have I can’t even get sump have no room

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back