I Was Wrong

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part, yes - although once you go past La Ronge it can be hit and miss. I think that other than the obvious major population centers, Lloydminster and Kindersley are great spots for L3 charging stations (due to the frequency of travel between Saskatoon » Edmonton and Saskatoon » Calgary). Right now it's not conducive to divert several hundred km for a L3 charging station.

I can also see a L3 charging station in Prince Albert and possibly in Waskesiu, as it's a fairly popular provincial park. But probably not more than 1-2 of the L3 slots. Most of the provincial parks in Saskatchewan do have L2 charging, but that's not really practical for visitors when you only have a handful.

We worked out the trip from Saskatoon to Calgary to visit my folks: 7 hours in our ICE or about 12 hours in our EV (with 2-3 charging stops and assuming we could find a berth at a L3 charging station).
The charging stations will likely be much cheaper to establish. Not to mention delivering the actual ‘fuel’. It will happen. They will be fast. And the majority of the time you stop will be spent going to the restroom. At least that’s my experience now.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The charging stations will likely be much cheaper to establish. Not to mention delivering the actual ‘fuel’. It will happen. They will be fast. And the majority of the time you stop will be spent going to the restroom. At least that’s my experience now.
The L3 ones are still fairly expensive - upwards of $40k per charger (plus installation). And they're not as fast as the Tesla Superchargers (typically averaging out at around 48kVA).

We got an EV because we have a heated garage and installed the BMW L2 charger it came with. But we also have 8 Tesla Superchargers (which will open up to our BMW at some point) and two Flo L3 chargers 3 blocks away, another L3 at the BMW dealership and 4 more brand new L3 chargers at the Shell station a block away. Our area is particularly saturated as the main auto mall is in my neighborhood (which includes Tesla, BMW, Mercedes, etc.) - but this isn't the case anywhere else in the city which has to fight for just a handful of L3 chargers.

It costs us $5USD to charge our i4 and drive it around for a week.

Last edited:

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4. Those that want sports cars, track occasionally or like the sound of an engine. 4a) Those of us hoping we make the switch to hydrogen or synthetic fuels soon instead of EV. I for one hope EVs will turn out to be our generation's betamax and this is coming from someone that worked on electric race cars in college 2+ decades ago.

Why is that? Just interested in why. Hydrogen does make sense for some applications where there are no alternatives but otherwise require a ton of extra energy to produce.

Toyota I feel may go under because they thought hydrogen was the future for cars. Hopefully not though.

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The L3 ones are still fairly expensive - upwards of $40k per charger (plus installation). And they're not as fast as the Tesla Superchargers (typically averaging out at around 48kVA).
Agree but a gas station. Oh boy that is expensive. Need to be sure no spills get into the ground water. Heavily regulated. Underground tanks, you name it.

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real 4k on blu ray (or perhaps something with even less loss) or compressed to smithereens streaming 4k?
It's still better quality, but that may also have something to do with how the masters were used in manufacturing the laserdiscs at the time.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree but a gas station. Oh boy that is expensive. Need to be sure no spills get into the ground water. Heavily regulated. Underground tanks, you name it.
Absolutely - and the cleanup costs are horrendous! The reality though is that 99.5% of the vehicles in our province are still ICE.

What the government needs to do is to heavily subsidize these. Then the infrastructure will be built-out and it becomes a moot point. The problem is they'd rather focusing on banning compostable garbage bags.

But it looks like the car industry has decided to go it alone (kudos for them).

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely - and the cleanup costs are horrendous! The reality though is that 99.5% of the vehicles in our province are still ICE.

What the government needs to do is to heavily subsidize these. Then the infrastructure will be built-out and it becomes a moot point. The problem is they'd rather focusing on banning compostable garbage bags.

Yup. Agree.

Every country should just call Norway. What exactly are the lessons learned. Then try not to repeat any mistakes. Norway is the richest country on the planet per capita so may not translate directly, but I’m sure some lessons were learned that could be useful.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, everywhere there is a gas station. The groundwater is contaminated.

Same with 99.9 % of dry cleaners.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shouldn't the government just step back and leave the regulation to the provinces? Oh, wait, wrong country...

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diesel is almost $1.00 more per gallon now due to government regulation.
January 2021 - diesel price in Sweden 14.23 SEK - at that time`s exchange rate $ 1.72 today when our government have decrees the fuel tax it cost 24.16 with actual exchange rate - it corresponds to $ 2.24. It is a rise of $0.52. - 0.10 of this is VAT but the oil companies have rise the price with $ 0.42 during this time. In SEK its more because the exchange rate is much higher today compared with 2 years ago

Lasse - I don't think you accounted for the fact that degrees of longitude are not a consistent unit. The closer you get to the poles, the smaller the unit gets.
true_size.jpg

Greenland is not really as big as Africa.
Check out this handy web page.
The True Size
The distance between California and Delaware (as the craw fly) is 3,823 km - by car 4,623 km - the distance between Smygehuk (along the south of Sweden) to Nordkap (along the north of Norway) is 1,858 km as the craw fly. By car 2,411 Between Wichita and Delaware - its 1,905 km as the craw fly. By car - its 2,128 km

Your map is probably more into scale compared with mine but if you tip Scandinavia - you see that we have distances too - and that our population is concentrated in the south.

2022 was 20% of Norway passenger car fleet PEV (Plugg in EV) and 6.5 % plug in hybrid EV. 2022 was nearly 80% of all new passenger cars sold in Norway EV:s- Goal is that 2025 all new cars should be EV:s. And this is in a land there most of it is uninhabited, roads are like Roller Coaster - up and down, up and down, fjords everywhere and it is the fifteen largest oil producer in the world. If Norway can do this - I´m sure that even Canada can do it. Here you can see shortest way between southern Norway and the most northern part - they have to drive through Sweden.

1691959190995.png

They can drive along through Norway too - but it is 300km longer. But in Norway its a good infrastructure for charging. Norway knows that their oil will end - they invest oil money in the infrastructure for the future.

I do not either see any problem if I have to stop every three or forth hour and take 20 - 40 minutes for a "fika" (coffee break) during the time my car is charging. At long trips - I seldom drive more than 2 - 3 hours without a break of safety reasons. However - I do not drive an EV today and to old for getting a new. I drive a small Kia Picanto instead

Sweden have a lot of traffic cameras that alongside speed monitoring is also used to monitor how the average speed changes on our roads. After years of increasing average speed, the average speed fell by about 0.8 km per hour last year. The reason is considered to be that the battery indicators in electric cars visualize very well what happens to the consumption if you lower your top speed. There is a big difference between 90 and 110 km/h in terms of fuel consumption - but it is not as visible in a gasoline car as on the electricity consumption meter in an electric car

Sincerely Lasse

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any statistics to back it up, but I'm pretty sure the average speed in Canada increased last year (and probably again this year). I suspect it's probably not that much different in the US, either.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse, it was not my map. I believe someone else did the map magic.
Yes i know - I only did a simultaneous trick - answered two persons in the same post :):)

Sincerely Lasse

npsossi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple weeks back I posted a thread bashing the 101 degree water temperature recorded in the Florida Keys. I blew it off as headlines and thought the corals would be fine in their heavy flow environment. I was wrong. I’ve been diving the last few days in the keys and it’s sad to say there’s a lot of white Coral. More white corals than colored ones. Everything is bleached. The most concerning part is that big corals are bleached. Corals that took years to grow are now dead.
In reality the condition is called stony coral tissue loss disease (SCTLD) and it is caused by bacteria. Using a erythromycin gel on the coral stops the advancement of the disease which is spreading in the Caribbean.
https://www.aoml.noaa.gov/researchers-find-key-bacteria-in-disease-outbreak/

It is possible that the increase in temperature favor the spread of the disease, but this is a bacterial disease that started in 2014, not just the increase in temperature killing corals.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is caused by bacteria
This open up the old discussion - what was first - the hen or the egg- is the change in microbiota a result of environmental stress (in this case - temperature) or just caused of a passing group of pathogenic bacteria? Could the result (damage) be caused of a bacteria group but the environmental stress is the reason why this bacteria group could dominate sick individuals?

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup. Agree.

Every country should just call Norway. What exactly are the lessons learned. Then try not to repeat any mistakes. Norway is the richest country on the planet per capita so may not translate directly, but I’m sure some lessons were learned that could be useful.
Yes. Lets look to Norway: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...eks-removal-of-windfarms-in-indigenous-region

EDIT - I had never heard this reported here in the US - but according to a mechanical engineer I met (from Oslo) while on a whale watching vacation, he explained that there is widespread discontent in Norway about the 'ruining of the landscape' especially in mountainous areas in Norway.
Then there is this: https://www.euronews.com/2024/01/10...rways-move-to-allow-seabed-mining-exploration

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%

Back