iodine dosing

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to dose Iodine, my ICP test tells me I need to do 8.8ml then 1.06ml and a daily dose of 0.99ml

I don't use Triton elements, and was looking at using the below

Contains no additives – Alcohol free – Suitable for vegans – GMO free

Lugols Iodine is readily absorbed by the body both topically (through the skin) and taken as a dietary supplement.

Each 30ml bottle contains 600 drops (1/20 ml)

Iodine content per drop: Iodine (I2) 2.5mg – Potassium Iodide (KI) 5mg - Combined Iodine Content 7.5mg
Iodine content per ml: 50mg Iodine (I2) – 100mg Potassium Iodide (KI) – Combined Iodine Content 150mg

Is this reef safe Iodine? If so does anyone know how I'd calculate the amount needed?

Screenshot_20200731_161940.jpg

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at that but was trying to be cheap.
Would it be safe to safe that red sea and Tritons version would be the same ? So would use the same amount of dosage?
Or air on the side of caution and dose half the recommended?

If I dose half the recommended for now and do another ICP in a month's time I could see the effect half dose has and work from there ?

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't be cheap in this hobby, but frugal yes. i wouldn't risk it for 12$ also never dose what you can't test for

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, but with the little research I've done I've seen people DIY iodine.

I was looking at getting the complete package of red sea colour as my ICP was showing low reading of other elements.

Whilst looking at red sea colours I found red sea skeleton elements? Would one be better than the other

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, but with the little research I've done I've seen people DIY iodine.

I was looking at getting the complete package of red sea colour as my ICP was showing low reading of other elements.

Whilst looking at red sea colours I found red sea skeleton elements? Would one be better than the other
I personally use all of Red Sea supplements and have good reults with them. Easy to use, come in different size bottles for your needs, keeps parameters stable, and they are priced decently. I'll continue using them just for the simple fact of ease of use. Have dosage charts on all their bottles as well

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use red sea salt and the foundation for calcium alkalinity and magnesium also use reef energy AB+

I have no problems using red sea, would you recommend the colours or skeleton elements?

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the exact same additives. You would want to use the colors supplement pack. The skeleton pack just includes the alk/cal/mag and color but since you already use their foundation for the major 3 all you need is the color foundation pack

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok slightly confused now, probably best to stick to red sea ?

I'm not set on dosing but I'm told I'm low on iodine and have read that iodine may help with my chaeto growth and I'm struggling with some SPS corals

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would, at least for now until you research more on the subject. Red Sea color foundation will supplement your iodine levels to where your trying to get them. They also sell just the iodine supplement but I would just buy the entire trace element pack so you got the entire kit for only a couple more bucks.

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to get the 100ml pack of each but 100ml wouldn't last me long so would need to 500ml pack

I'm low on

boron
bromine
molybdenum
vanadium
Manganese

Will order the colours, and dose at half the Triton recommend dose do another ICP and go from there

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use red sea foundation calcium Powder?

Is it supposed to be a yellowish brown colour when mixed ?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back