prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rev!

That one big rock must weigh about 40 lbs by itself lol. I'm really loving some of the bigger ones that I got more creative with as well. They have a bunch a big cavities in them by mounding sand here and there between the mix. When hardened I dunked them in and out of a 5g bucket of RO to rinse out the sand pockets. I like them so much I'm going to make more today :)

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make a custom rock for one side of my aquarium. Everything is looking great. Can't wait to see it all together.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make a custom rock for one side of my aquarium. Everything is looking great. Can't wait to see it all together.

Thanks! Me too. I'm beginning to get a little impatient. Lol.

Make the rock you want. It really isn't hard at all. Just try a few smaller ones to get your mix correct. The bigger rock pieces will require less salt for stability but to make sure they're poruss enough use pockets of sand. I also used big chunks of salt all on the outside for more unevenness and holes. My tunnel was done with a small plastic cup with rock salt around it so it didn't look like it was a mold. If you need any help or advice feel free to ask :)

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered the canopy fans yesterday and picked up their power supply today. $18 @ walmart.

Started return column part 1. Part 2 is tomorrow night is pt 1 is hardened enough. So by the weekend it should be ready for the cure tank.
uploadfromtaptalk1401948085184.jpg

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This column will have 3 sections but molded together. The very top where the pipe will angle out will look broken and worn away.. the bottom of this pipe has a threaded cuppler where it will screw the male coming from the bulkhead. NO, there will be no pressure on the bulkhead. The column base will keep the pressure off of it and support the column ;)

This is the base

uploadfromtaptalk1401948564253.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool design!

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered the canopy fans yesterday and picked up their power supply today. $18 @ walmart.

Started return column part 1. Part 2 is tomorrow night is pt 1 is hardened enough. So by the weekend it should be ready for the cure tank.

Gonna look real cool. Im seeing the overall design in my head now.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna look real cool. Im seeing the overall design in my head now.

Thank you! I'm getting so impatient... so much yet to do. I'm hoping to be ready to set it up by July 4th weekend when my son and his friends come back from college. I am going to need all their help to bring the tank in and set it on the stand (which is not built yet either). Since the rock takes a while to cure it's important to get it done first. As we wait for this last batch to cure the stand and canopy will be built plus some major eradication of asternia stars I am now plagued by. :( Lucky me, mine are coral eaters! In 2 months they multiplied enough to eat all the coraline and are now working on zoas. I hope to have time this weekend to do some bayer dipping to cut the population down as much as possible. These guys hitch hiked in on some zoas. I thought I got them all at the time but apparently I was wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This section will be filled unevenly and topped with salt. The idea is to make it look broken. Also a 30 deg. fitting will go on the end of this pipe . It will not be glued in until it's in the tank so I can adjust it if I need to.

uploadfromtaptalk1402172153609.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1402172153609.jpg

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I really like your DIY rocks! The column is going to look awesome, especially once you get growth from the corals. How is the progress growing on your stand? Hopefully things are still on track for setting it up by the 4th of July!

Bobber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers, new to the hobby i bought this for the weight of rock about 30 bucks, can anyone tell me what this is? Not the frag on right but the thing on top of rock. Thank you

Bobber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers, new to the hobby i bought this for the weight of rock about 30 bucks, can anyone tell me what this is? Not the frag on right but the thing on top of rock. Thank you
image.jpg

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I really like your DIY rocks! The column is going to look awesome, especially once you get growth from the corals. How is the progress growing on your stand? Hopefully things are still on track for setting it up by the 4th of July!

Thank you Tim :) The column is soaking in the cure tank (future 55g sump) and I am in the process of coating the overflow skim columns tonight. My daughter sidetracked me with puppy eyes to help her with her bedroom. I hope to start the stand frame tomorrow right after rock making cleanup is done in the garage. It's been raining here for over a week slowing things a bit. I will be making the stand then if I have to hire some day workers to carry the tank in, I will. The bottom seem needs (IMO) to be resealed. It isn't leaking but I don't trust it. So once the tank sits on the stand frame I will be doing that, putting in the return column and skim boxes, plugs and plumbing. The switch over will be quite a trick since this tank go in the same location of the 125. Break down, move out, move in, connecting all equipment from the old, adding new sand bed, putting existing tank water in the new with new sw then all rock and livestock. Makes me tired just thinking of it. Lol! We still hope to do this on the 4th weekend :)

I loved making all the rock, it was pretty easy. You just have to have patience with cure time. You should give it a try. You could make some pretty interesting pieces for your 230 :D of which I can not wait to see up and running!

Jackie

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers, new to the hobby i bought this for the weight of rock about 30 bucks, can anyone tell me what this is? Not the frag on right but the thing on top of rock. Thank you image.jpg

I am not really sure what that is, sponge maybe. You should post this into the ID thread where you will get better assistance ;)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back