Jebao return pump... DC, DCT, DCP, or DCS

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not offended and did read your post. I think your wording though is a bit missleading, not intentionally but still is. You said you were askin fish street about the jeabo dcp and they recommended the newst dca pump. See how this can easily be miss read to appear fish street is saying the dca is the newest version available from JEABO instead of a competing pump from CORALBOX. That is what happened when i first read and commented on your post.

Tamas Ferencz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not offended and did read your post. I think your wording though is a bit missleading, not intentionally but still is. You said you were askin fish street about the jeabo dcp and they recommended the newst dca pump. See how this can easily be miss read to appear fish street is saying the dca is the newest version available from JEABO instead of a competing pump from CORALBOX. That is what happened when i first read and commented on your post.
Correct, but my last sentence mentioned the brand though : "I have ordered the coral box dca - 6000 and it works externally now since Friday."

Sorry for the confusion though. I should have used the 'different branding' words probably.

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which DC* is the latest Jebao? I still see so many options, especially on Amazon, but none state the year of inception or progression of model(s) to determine the latest.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The very newest model is the DCQ. it is a red color. Controller has the ability to do a wave action. Here is a pic of the controller next to the previous model which is the DCP.
20190114_001622.jpg
20190114_001622.jpg

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The very newest model is the DCQ. it is a red color. Controller has the ability to do a wave action. Here is a pic of the controller next to the previous model which is the DCP.
20190114_001622.jpg
20190114_001622.jpg

Thx... I wouldn't use the wave function since that would affect the water level in the sump & in turn the skimmer. Does it have the ability to sustain a constant flow as well?

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx... I wouldn't use the wave function since that would affect the water level in the sump & in turn the skimmer. Does it have the ability to sustain a constant flow as well?
For jebao the DCQ is the newest The only difference I see between the DCP and the DCQ is the controller. And yes they can sustain a constant flow

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I have a DCS (two years old) been lightly disassembled and cleaned a few time, but lately has developed a distinct "whine". Running at 50-60%. Is it on it's death bed?

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I have a DCS (two years old) been lightly disassembled and cleaned a few time, but lately has developed a distinct "whine". Running at 50-60%. Is it on it's death bed?
That's hard to say. You could put it on an amp meter to see what it's drawing, that may tell you if it's starting to bind up .

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's hard to say. You could put it on an amp meter to see what it's drawing, that may tell you if it's starting to bind up .

I have a meter but no clue what settings or how to use. Last time I cleaned it / ran in RODI & Vinegar for 45 min / the "whine" went away. A couple of weeks later it's back.

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its difficult to say if the pump is failing or not. It's always safe to get redundancy with equipment in this hobby

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

These pumps are great, but they do need moderate maintenance a few times a year to offset the high levels of Ca, Alk, and Mg we run. Also foreign objects do get caught in them that can cause a whine like noise. There are great videos on YouTube showing a complete disassembly. Also remove the rubber pieces before running them in an acid solution, sometimes this can also cause issues.

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pumps are great, but they do need moderate maintenance a few times a year to offset the high levels of Ca, Alk, and Mg we run. Also foreign objects do get caught in them that can cause a whine like noise. There are great videos on YouTube showing a complete disassembly. Also remove the rubber pieces before running them in an acid solution, sometimes this can also cause issues.

Thank you.

Gonna take off the front plate, remove & clean the impeller, then run in mostly an RODI w/ a little vinegar solution again this week. I don't mind replacing since I did not expect to get 10 years from this $100 pump.

Also don't yet see the DCQ-8000 on Amazon Prime yet.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get the impeller out you might be surprised with the amount of gunk in there. An old tooth brush is great to get into the impeller space and clean out all the plastic.

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To follow up, I cleaned the pump again. Surprisingly it was very clean since I had just done some last month, yet a film could be felt (not seen) covering the impeller parts and inner housing. Ran in Vinegar/RODI for about 30 min, disassembled and cleaned, then run in RODI for another 10 min. I was careful this time to make sure the reassembly went as precise as possible.

So far dead silent again just like brand new. Hope it stays this way.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller on the dcp and dcq is definitely different, so is the connectors on the wires. The actual pump is visually the same except the color ( dcp grey) ( dcq red) im not sure if the size difference in my pumps is because of the pump power size difference 20000 vs 6500 or if the newer model is smaller.

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a meter but no clue what settings or how to use. Last time I cleaned it / ran in RODI & Vinegar for 45 min / the "whine" went away. A couple of weeks later it's back.
What kind of meter do you have? Does it have a clamp or a slot you can put the wire into? If it’s just two leads I would say don’t try to measure amperage unless you absolutely 100% sure of your skill, your understanding of exactly what your doing and you literally trust your life with that meter. Measuring amperage incorrectly with 2 leads or even having it on the wrong setting when trying to measure amperage most likely will cause severe if not fatal injury. Even measuring voltage on an improper setting can be fatal unless you have a high quality meter that has good internal fusing to protect you.
If you have some cheap Chinese meter don’t even bother.

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a few position adjustments in the tight third chamber of my sump, the whine is gone. Not completely sure of the cause. Could have been slightly "hanging" from the return line and not seated on the bag of sand used to keep it off the bottom of the acrylic sump to reduce vibration noise. Could have been improper reassembly after the last cleaning. Could have also been the intake being so close to the edge of the sump wall.

In any case, been going now for over a week with no issues and no whine. Crisis averted!

LBCobra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of their wave makers and have worked flawlessly since June of last year. Now looking to buy their DCP or DCQ pump for my XL 525 new build.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To correct some things i read:
DCP and DCQ pumps are different, not only controllers are different.
DCA from Coral Box are DCS pumps with special advanced controller. (Also, DCA4000, DCA6000, DCA9000 and DCA12000 include external 0-10v control, no need of AQLlink for Apex and Profilux). Controller also include a level sensor for overflow OR water shortage alarm/shutdown.

DC: electronic inside pump, 3 pin cable = GND VCC and 0-5V speed
DCT/DCS/DCA/DCP/DCW/DCQ: electronic only in controller, 3 pin cable = 3 phase Brushless DC Motor

DCT, DCS and DCQ controllers cost less because they drive motor with a square electric waves.
DCP, DCW and DCA controllers cost more because they drive motor with a sine electric waves.

DCS and DCQ motor can be drive with sine electric waves with AQLink: https://www.fish-street.com/video/a1manual.pdf and get better performances and be quieter.

asmodyus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Jabao DCP-15000 Pump setup externally and just it stopped ramping up past 24 watts will not let me manully change the speed or pause it for feed. So I took it apart cleaned and still the same and I locked and unlocked it nothing. Has anybody seen this issue and also is the DCS controller work on a DCP?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back