Jeff's 150 Build - The Salt Box

hung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made myself a water change appliance as well. Have 10% and 20% lengths. Will supplement with the 3/4" strainers as well. One less thing.... IMG_9065.jpg

Awesome work so far, love the detail. Is there anywhere you can point me to read more on this water change device?

Beradd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the extra "work area" I like the idea of appoxying in found beach items there like sea glass and shells, sand dollars and such. or picture box style, though admittedly picture box wouldn't work if your going to set a tank there in the future. love this build write up. one for the books!

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anywhere you can point me to read more on this water change device?
I search R2R, and could not find it. It’s just a syphon, not really a “water changer”. I mean, it does not facilitate vacuuming (although I suppose one could improvise an appurtenance to do that). It’s just convenient because the hard PVC allows it to hang firmly on the tank- hands free – and the syphon breaks automatically when the tank drains to a measured depth, equal with the length of PVC pipe and the top of the tee fitting. Not pictured is the braided vinyl hose that would simply hang down into a wastewater container. To refill, the end of the vinyl hose can be connected to a submersible or external pump to pump a measured quantity of new water back into the display.

There’s no automation here, It’s manual, just hands free. Hope this helps hung.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also cut and coated a panel to mount in the back of the stand, on which I'll mount various stuff, like my temperature controller, Calc reactor pH controller, MP40 controller, etc.
panel.jpg

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic build and attention to detail, very well done!
I think I may just accessorize the system to top off directly, no reservoir.
Be very, very careful doing this... I have seen more than one great system crash due to an RO/DI system sensor/float failing that bypassed a reservoir. Reservoirs give you that extra step of protection if your sensors/floats should fail.

Keep up the great work!

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent build! Love the attention to detail and the plumbing works deserves a high-five!

Reef_Insanity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the work surface =) you should see the top of my seaswirls on my tank... they look like giant icebergs from how many times I set super glue up there

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great build!

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments. I really appreciate it. I'm a newbie, so the advice is very welcome as well.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounting the equipment on the back panel tonight. I'm using Velcro to mount the stuff. I want all the wires on the back side, unseen. I'm trying to decide, cut holes for cables, or slots. I thought slots might be cleaner.
mounting.jpg

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I didn't think this one through. The idea was that the hoses would extend down into filter socks that will be suspended in some acrylic I have yet to fabricate. They were to extend below the water line, deep enough not to splash or make noise, but shallow enough not to cause the drain to surge (I hear that can happen). I thought that I'd be able to slip the filter socks, with their plastic lip, under the hoses to remove and clean them, but, the hose is so rigid I don't think that will work. Hmmm.
Oops.jpg
I have not trimmed the hoses to length yet. Water line will be several inches below the top edge of the sump. Ideas? Advice?

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost finished with the plumbing. Only about 18" left. Finished the longest run tonight, the refugium bypass line, designed to adjust flow through the refugium by at a little less than half the pump capacity. Hours of test fitting upon test fitting so as not to put any stresses on the bulkheads whatsoever, getting the unions to fit perfectly. Also finished mounting the controllers. Next, water test, refugium sand, dry rock, and hang the light fixture. (forgive the unsteady panorama pic)
piping_sm.jpg
controlers_sm.jpg

Reeflogic