Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 150 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%

• Total voters

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers don't "add" co2... they circulate whats present in the air. If your PH was 8 adding a skimmer will not make it go below that....
It will 100% add co2 if the water in your tank has less co2 than is present in the air. This is not a common issue but it does happen.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will 100% add co2 if the water in your tank has less co2 than is present in the air. This is not a common issue but it does happen.
It actually happens all the time if tank pH is higher than 8.3, 8.4ish, with normal alkalinity levels.

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was traveling for work I actually used ph to tell my wife the overflows needed to be cleaned. If the water drops more than 2 inches my ph would start to drop. If my ph dropped below 8.25 I had her clean the overflows. My ph normally runs 8.3-8.45

Ricky Vargas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few questions on this. If I had a big refugium/reactor with macro algae and I increased the CO2 to my target ppm in there, couldn't I easily offgass the CO2 coming from the refugium/reactor output? The flow through the reactor would be slow so it shouldn't be hard to off gas the CO2 from the output if I drop it in an area with lots of gas exchange. Or am I missing something? I inject CO2 in planted tanks and it's pretty easy to off gas with enough surface agitation. CO2 in the planted tank has no effect on the kH, but Is this different in a reef tank?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few questions on this. If I had a big refugium/reactor with macro algae and I increased the CO2 to my target ppm in there, couldn't I easily offgass the CO2 coming from the refugium/reactor output? The flow through the reactor would be slow so it shouldn't be hard to off gas the CO2 from the output if I drop it in an area with lots of gas exchange. Or am I missing something? I inject CO2 in planted tanks and it's pretty easy to off gas with enough surface agitation. CO2 in the planted tank has no effect on the kH, but Is this different in a reef tank?
Depends how and where you off-gas it to. It's heavy and sits on the water which increases the pressure to re-enter the water.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back