Klir Filter Review.

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This product has been one of the worst experiences I've had with equipment in this hobby. literally everything that can go wrong with this thing has. even think they gave me one of those fleece rolls from that bad batch because every single time it rolls new Fleece it causes my skimmer to explosively overflow with bubbles to the point it almost filled my whole cabinet with bubbles once, and it takes 2 days for the skimmer to work properly again. its getting progressively worse as well with the "bubble episodes" having a more explosive reaction each time. I didn't have any of these issues before I put it in, and I have to say this whole experience has made me pretty bitter with fleece rollers in general. what's even more concerning is this is the gen 2 model. sad to say but this product did more harm than good in my system. last a week in my system before I had to remove it.
That's a bummer. Mine has worked flawlessly for about 8 weeks now. Hopefully I don't have issues when I change out the fleece.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running 4 klir-7 for about 10 months now 2 on a 300 gallon tank 1 on a 120 and 1 on a 60 frag tank. I am very happy with them they operate as they should and I understand what I can expect from them. With that being said my 120 is full of algae of all kinds a lot of long hair and others that goes down the overflow and huge chunks like this end up causing me an issue with that klir. The chunks of algae get hung up in the rollers and the fleece then does not role smoothly due to rollers being stuck once it was so badly clogged that motor stripped Hole in spool because fleece was froze and motor kept turning. Now this would obviously be expected if you think about it with common sense and understand what’s going on. It’s not flaw with design it’s just not meant to handle huge chunks of algae over and over that never get cleaned out. So that one I completely disassemble to clean every new role clean rollers very well with garden hose or whenever it gets jammed whichever comes first. The rest never even get cleaned only new role put in every 3 months or so

PinkReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, your water is a lot higher in the sump! might need to give it a try after all.
i added about 10L of water to the sump, and the noise is gone.
My skimmer is more stable, and recovery out of feed more is quieter, so seems i killed 3 birds with 1 stone.

Fishy5oh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i added about 10L of water to the sump, and the noise is gone.
My skimmer is more stable, and recovery out of feed more is quieter, so seems i killed 3 birds with 1 stone.
Just commented on your other post as well, would you mind posting a pic of your water level running and shut off? I'm running a Sicce 3.0 on my waterbox marine x 60.2 and having quite a bit of trouble with this noise level.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1- Remove the Klire motor.
2 - Adapt the new motor on the support plate, see my previous post. I use MECANO srew to fix it!
3- Adapt the black core of the soiled fleece for the engine shaft which is a little bigger. (I will reuse this core for the next change of fleece roll)
4- Buy ''Neptune Systems DC24 to Bare Wire Cable'' or DYI and connect it to the motor, check the direction of rotation before final connection.
5- Use a optical level sensor for a point in Apex program.

If you have more specific questions, do not hesitate

Neptune prog:
Klir = optical sensor
Level_Klir = vitual output to manage overflow if optical sensor(Klir) are on > 2 min.

Capture.JPG
Has anyone else done this mod like @PatReef? I would like to do this myself.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can run mine similar to steps 4 and 5 but haven’t made the physical changes to fliter.

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us replace that for you! Email [email protected] and cc me [email protected]. You are well within the warranty period. Could you provide photos for reference?
I wonder if it's worth a shot, after spending 3 hours reading this thread from page one all the way through the end. I'd bought 3 of the di-7 units back in Jan 2019 (by bought I pre ordered). I had problems with the fleece snagging and contacted CV support. I received 3 "updated" cages after swapping and still having aproblem I pulled hem from the tank and they have been in the boxes in my closest ever since.

My question is this, is it possible to get the updated controllers and motors for my units or are they just trash at this point?

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent. i can see there is a slight difference when there is more tension on the roller. I think the problem lies in that (with no way to fix that) - i havent raised my water levels yet, as it will cause me issues in other areas . it's still something i can try as a last resort before removing it.

I've read someone who glued a mesh on the support structure, which i guess would keep the fleece better in place, but thats a irreversible mod i guess.
Hopefully youve solved this issue. My klir works well if the water level is high enough in the sump that the roller fleece is submerged. Basically, if the level is too low, the fleece wont be able hold up when it fills with detritus...
20210902_104216.jpg

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it's worth a shot, after spending 3 hours reading this thread from page one all the way through the end. I'd bought 3 of the di-7 units back in Jan 2019 (by bought I pre ordered). I had problems with the fleece snagging and contacted CV support. I received 3 "updated" cages after swapping and still having aproblem I pulled hem from the tank and they have been in the boxes in my closest ever since.

My question is this, is it possible to get the updated controllers and motors for my units or are they just trash at this point?
Reach out to coral care, they have stated in many videos they are fixing previous unit regardless of warranty.

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just call and email. When i have spoken with them they have shown a willingness to get old units sorted. Explain the issues and how related to old cage
I sent a email and got an automated response stating they where flooded by the hurricane so who knows as of now.

if any one is interested I’d sell them at $150 per and include 2-3 new rolls per unit.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS claims the Di-4 model can handle up to 750 gph going through it. Has anyone found this to be true? I plan to run 600-700 gph through it.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS claims the Di-4 model can handle up to 750 gph going through it. Has anyone found this to be true? I plan to run 600-700 gph through it.
I run just over 200 gph and if the filter is not submerged, flow goes around the filter; the filter does not like pressure. If it didn't work at first with the sensor you could put the roller on a timer maybe. You would want it to run long enough and often enough that the entire filter is being filled with detritus, rolled completely, and repeat--not just have an inch of floss roll at a time and force (700gph of) water through that small gap.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with this I tried to run 700 thru klir 7 and after having issues was told by support to lower my flow to 500ish and I would have better results. Guess what I did have better results after lowering it but that’s not how low I want to run at

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased a Klir Di-4 probably a month or so ago, was working great, however just as I was about to go away for 5 days it packed up on me and I got beeping errors the night before. I reset it and manually rolled some new fleece but then again the next day, same thing. So I pulled it out and put socks in.

ticked me off a bit that it's already having issues a month or so in.. if it's a case of me having to manually clean out the thing every month or so, I wonder if it's even worth having at all ...

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased a Klir Di-4 probably a month or so ago, was working great, however just as I was about to go away for 5 days it packed up on me and I got beeping errors the night before. I reset it and manually rolled some new fleece but then again the next day, same thing. So I pulled it out and put socks in.

ticked me off a bit that it's already having issues a month or so in.. if it's a case of me having to manually clean out the thing every month or so, I wonder if it's even worth having at all ...
What exactly is the issue that you're having? What do you mean it packed up?

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly is the issue that you're having? What do you mean it packed up?

Basically just beeping away with the warning and the motor not turning the fleece roll. Motor still worked but for whatever reason it didn't want to turn it. Need to take a closer look over the weekend, see if it's some sort of build up somewhere..

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically just beeping away with the warning and the motor not turning the fleece roll. Motor still worked but for whatever reason it didn't want to turn it. Need to take a closer look over the weekend, see if it's some sort of build up somewhere..
I have run into lately where the end of the fleece roll is taped to the plastic roll and the motor is not strong enough to pull it off. This has only been recently. Been using mine for over 1yr w/o issues.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back