Klir Filter Review.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read issues with the Klir control unit. I have Hydros run my klir and its great. I have not had any problems with it and it been running close to a year. I get two months out of a roll and then I remove the unit and give it a good cleaning.

Quinzico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run into lately where the end of the fleece roll is taped to the plastic roll and the motor is not strong enough to pull it off. This has only been recently. Been using mine for over 1yr w/o issues.
Had the same in the last roll. I just cut the fleece, removed the used one and used the remaining fleece.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The earlier black spindles use to strip where the motor attaches, you can check that if your motor is turning but the fleece roll is not moving.

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read issues with the Klir control unit. I have Hydros run my klir and its great. I have not had any problems with it and it been running close to a year. I get two months out of a roll and then I remove the unit and give it a good cleaning.
This is my only complaint. I only get about 9 days out of my rolls. The unit is functioning properly, and the rolls are dirty. I think it's my slightly higher flowrate (~500gph) just causes it to foul faster. Been experimenting with making my own rolls from commercial coffee filter rolls. Takes the cost down to like 1 dollar a roll vs. 15.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my only complaint. I only get about 9 days out of my rolls. The unit is functioning properly, and the rolls are dirty. I think it's my slightly higher flowrate (~500gph) just causes it to foul faster. Been experimenting with making my own rolls from commercial coffee filter rolls. Takes the cost down to like 1 dollar a roll vs. 15.
Wow, let us know how the commercial coffee filter rolls work out for you.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run into lately where the end of the fleece roll is taped to the plastic roll and the motor is not strong enough to pull it off. This has only been recently. Been using mine for over 1yr w/o issues.
Yeah wouldn't have an issue with that as you need to change it out anyway. But I'm only perhaps half way through the roll at the moment :(

BeccaBits

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of questions for you.

1. Any idea what your flow rate is?
2. How high up the Klir is your water line in the sump? Like, where does it hit on the bracket?

DAPG8GT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick to the advertised flow rates 100%.

I have a barely used 4” Klir roller / matching klir filter sock stand used for a month available. New roll included.

JNewiN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone currently using the kilt 4 in the 85.3 frag sump? It uses 4” socks but the actual holes are 3.5-3.75”? Something around that. Would the klir 4 even fit in this sump?

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone currently using the kilt 4 in the 85.3 frag sump? It uses 4” socks but the actual holes are 3.5-3.75”? Something around that. Would the klir 4 even fit in this sump?
Yes it will fit. There isn't an adaptor that comes with it that's a perfect fit, it just sits above the hole some.

I made an adaptor out of some polycarbonate that fit into the chamber with a perfectly matching hole, but it's not necessary.

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will fit. There isn't an adaptor that comes with it that's a perfect fit, it just sits above the hole some.

I made an adaptor out of some polycarbonate that fit into the chamber with a perfectly matching hole, but it's not necessary.

of the included adapters there is one with the sides already shaved off, I used that one and a dremel to shave it to fit so that the adaptor sits in the hole and the Klir unit sits ontop of it.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently picked up another DI-4 and yes it's a love/hate relationship but with all these configured sumps that have sock holes built in, well it's just easier.
Anywho I noticed that they did some small changes to the top part of the hinged frame. This is comparison to my older '18 and '19 models. They now have notches on both sides of the unit so that you can place the water level sensor on either side which is good. They also seemed to have addressed ONE of the reasons why fleece can snag and tear. There are 2 guide rollers on the side where you start threading the fleece. The lower guide use to be very close to the frame bracket and this might have cause tearing for some like myself where stomatella get wedged or when you start getting a very rough bracket surface from all the calcification. So they raised that roller guide a bit which makes sense but while trying to address one problem, they have created another which is that the fleece no longer stays taunt because it's not doing a 90º turn before lining the filtering area of the bracket. Now when the void space in the chamber starts to fill from clogging fleece, it just starts multiple seepage points along the edges because there is no longer any tension on the clean roll side.
Great job Coralvue.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still using mine for around 2-3 years now. Only had the fleece tear off once. Otherwise, all functioning fine.

I'm using two 4" units.. The fleece lasts me about 9 months.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still using mine for around 2-3 years now. Only had the fleece tear off once. Otherwise, all functioning fine.

I'm using two 4" units.. The fleece lasts me about 9 months.
Do you have stomatella snails in your tank?
2 out of the 3 tanks that I have fleece rollers running, well they're a nightmare with tearing the fleece every 2 months or so.
Wish I knew how to get rid of them without tearing down or nuking the tank.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently picked up another DI-4 and yes it's a love/hate relationship but with all these configured sumps that have sock holes built in, well it's just easier.
Anywho I noticed that they did some small changes to the top part of the hinged frame. This is comparison to my older '18 and '19 models. They now have notches on both sides of the unit so that you can place the water level sensor on either side which is good. They also seemed to have addressed ONE of the reasons why fleece can snag and tear. There are 2 guide rollers on the side where you start threading the fleece. The lower guide use to be very close to the frame bracket and this might have cause tearing for some like myself where stomatella get wedged or when you start getting a very rough bracket surface from all the calcification. So they raised that roller guide a bit which makes sense but while trying to address one problem, they have created another which is that the fleece no longer stays taunt because it's not doing a 90º turn before lining the filtering area of the bracket. Now when the void space in the chamber starts to fill from clogging fleece, it just starts multiple seepage points along the edges because there is no longer any tension on the clean roll side.
Great job Coralvue.
I purchased a DI-7 and a hole cover a month ago and thought it was working great until I noticed my sump was full of crap after 3 days. After 3 weeks of use and having to vacuum out my sump every few days I am back to using filter socks. I tried different orientations plus made an O-ring for the round base plate thinking water was getting by in that area but that wasn't the cause. Nothing helped. This thing has way to many seepage points as you mentioned.
Hope your " Great job CoralVue " was sarcasm because these things are a complete waste of money to put it politely. These things maybe catch 50% of the crap. MAYBE!!!

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Steve, yes it was sarcasm.
With the latest unit and the raised roller guide, I ended up jerry rigging a piece of silicone tubing against the roller. It provides tension on the fleece and has so far worked out for me.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, Coralvue needs to figure out how to have the feeding fleece roll side on a ratcheted gear assembly. This would provide the needed tension on the fleece against all the roller guides and remedy the seepage problem.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Steve, yes it was sarcasm.
With the latest unit and the raised roller guide, I ended up jerry rigging a piece of silicone tubing against the roller. It provides tension on the fleece and has so far worked out for me.
By chance could you show me a photo of which roller your talking about? I have the newer version so I have nothing to compare it to the way way it used to be before they changed the location. Are you talking about the first or second roller guide? Would love to see the modification.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back