J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saturday Update.
The Good:
ok so on Nov 30th (Last Friday) the new controller was installed and it seems to work, haven't have any more incidents with the fleece rolling all the way at ones.

The Bad:
The New (improved) Bottom did not do the trick.
a noise alarm sound woke me up last night around 3:00am the sound was coming from the klir controller. the water level was way over the sensor and the fleece was't rolling, it got snagged. pull some dirty fleece by hand, push the reset bottom and roll up all dirty fleece. Alarm sound turned off so I when back to sleep.
my wife call me around 10:00am at work and said that there was a noise coming from the fish room. I ask her to just unplug the controller and that I will fix it when I get home. well same problem, the motor was not turning. I ones again pull some very dirty fleece by hand and manually push the bottom on the controller and roll it all up.
so we are back to square one, the fleece is snagging.

Note. the motor seems to straggle to turn even after all the dirty fleece was rolled up. dirty fleece is about 50% rolled wet and dirty.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity does your roll have a paper tube roll like toilet paper or the white plastic tube. I notice less snag with the plastic rolls.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new bottom frame which was suppose to fix the snagging issue is actually tearing the fleece on one corner.
Can't feel any rough edges so I don't know why it's doing this.
Frustrating at best!

Bfactor84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to this forum and wanted to post my experience with the Klir Di-4 filter. I have it installed in the reefer 450 sumnp with the Klir bracket that was raised by glueing 2 inch PVC couplers. Here are some pictures:

01.jpg

22.jpg

With the vectra M1 return pump set to one LED light over 50%, and partial return diverted to my makeshift fuge and reactors, I think I am getting roughly 500 gph through the filter. My tank went wet on 10/01/18 with the klir filter in place and was running great until about 2 weeks ago when the alarm went off. Turns out the dirty side roller was stuck within the housing as it had used about 70% of the roll. I think because the filter is rewound wet, as its being compressed, the dirt and grime is being squeezed out on the sides and causing it to snag.

I will say that this thing is working as intended and keeps my display looking clean but the whole setup is not creating a good seal between the dirty and the clean side of the unit. I do get a lot of detritus buildup over a months time in the sump.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The many times that I've had to pull the unit out to un-snag the fleece roll, I do notice that the entire clean side of the roll is soaking wet from water wicking up the roll. This causes a harder pull vs a dry fleece roll.
Wonder if this is one of the problems.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jrizo1 - I am so glad someone finally posted a review about the latest release on the #Klir filter system! I was just getting ready to have a Synergy modify my new sump to fit two two of these Klir's filter systems , one in each filter sock hole but with all these problems you're having I am out!

I am going to take a step back and see what else comes out in the next 6 months.

Last edited:

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe even check out the ClariSea Gen2, Marine Depot has a video out and some interesting points such as aqua-phobic coating on the fleece material and overall smaller footprint vs the Theiling.

OP
OP
J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new bottom frame which was suppose to fix the snagging issue is actually tearing the fleece on one corner.
Can't feel any rough edges so I don't know why it's doing this.
Frustrating at best!
I am sorry to hear that. I too was the only one having issues.

OP
OP
J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried something different today to se of it fix the snagging issue.
I took all the dirty fleece off, hopping that by taking the excess load on the motor it will turn and it did, until the clean fleece star collection dirt. now 3-4 hours later it is stock again.

Note: see in the picture of the dirty fleece roll how it looks like it was rolling clean fleece at the beginning. Interesting. (That was with the new controller)

FAE73C40-70F6-460A-B4BA-B9D46BE6FD60.jpeg

Bfactor84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried something different today to se of it fix the snagging issue.
I took all the dirty fleece off, hopping that by taking the excess load on the motor it will turn and it did, until the clean fleece star collection dirt. now 3-4 hours later it is stock again.

Note: see in the picture of the dirty fleece roll how it looks like it was rolling clean fleece at the beginning. Interesting. (That was with the new controller)

FAE73C40-70F6-460A-B4BA-B9D46BE6FD60.jpeg

I dont have a picture of my snag but I observed the same thing. However, in my case since the tank was new, I figured the inner core (inital days of use) was white because there was no organic stuff to filter, just the cloudy stuff coming off the sand and rocks. As the tank came to life, dirty roll turned darker and darker ....... and had a nasty smell to it.

OP
OP
J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10/11/12 update
Back to filter socks. Things seem to be getting worse before they get better. I am now having hard time keeping the klir controler on. I will go over that later on today.
Here is a video a YouTube video of the motor not turning I really think is a motor issue becouse the fleece paper does not feel too tight.

Bfactor84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10/11/12 update
Back to filter socks. Things seem to be getting worse before they get better. I am now having hard time keeping the klir controler on. I will go over that later on today.
Here is a video a YouTube video of the motor not turning I really think is a motor issue becouse the fleece paper does not feel too tight.

That sucks .... looks like your motor is burnt out.

I hate to see that you are having these issues with a great auto filter. In principal the product is good but i think its still in "beta" stage and needs a few refinements. Hopefully the V2 product fixes this

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 months of use, I find that a wet roll has a lot more resistance and is harder on the stepper motor. (You can tell the difference when threading a new dry roll and when you need to un-snag a wet roll)
I don't know if this is inherent in all roller mats but with the Klir, (maybe the short height distance from the water level or maybe just the fleece material itself) water wicks up and saturates the unused portion of the fleece roll.

Chipp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience so far is this.

When i first ran it the controller had a problem and would not shut off and would keep spooling fleece. I contacted coralvue and after some trouble shootinging it was determined that it was a bad controller. They sent me a new controller and it fixed that poblem. I blew through the first roll in 10 days.

With the second roll i was having a problem with the fleece not advancing and i was not getting an alarm. It turned out to be the clear plastic keyhole in the dirty spool was not glued correctly and was slipping when the motor turned but would catch enough not to trigger the alarm. I was able to glue it and re tapped the fleece to the spool. That fixed that problem.

But...then the fleece started getting stuck. I messed with it trying to figure it out for a while and finally found that the dirty spool was taking up the fleece slightly crooked. It took me three tries to get it perfectly straight. It has now been running for a month with the same spool and my water is crystal clear now.

In the end it works, but it was very finicky to get going, and yes my sump is dirtier.

OP
OP
J

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks .... looks like your motor is burnt out.

I hate to see that you are having these issues with a great auto filter. In principal the product is good but i think its still in "beta" stage and needs a few refinements. Hopefully the V2 product fixes this
This is th V2 .

Jo P White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just submitted a ticket today about my Klir unit. I already received the new controller after the unit rolled up about a third of the spool towards the end of October, since then I’ve still been having issues. The fleece doesn’t roll, the motor struggles to turn, and an alarm goes off. It almost seems that the fleece that’s out catches on the full was of the clean material with the added burden of the entire moist environment causing issues of resistance. I’m beyond frustrated with this entire unit. Last month I couldn’t figure out why my skimmer was going nuts and come to find out there was a tear in the fleece in a spot I couldn’t see allowing water to pour out and not be cleaned. I feel my sump has been dirty since I purchased this unit as well, so strange since it supposedly has more filtration. I’m waiting to see what tech support has to say this time, but at the moment I have a filter sock back in my sump and the Klir Filter sitting in a bucket. So much of a headache and waste of money right now.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 62 28.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 48 21.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 25 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 76 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back