Largest tank size for a second story condo?

LoveReefs411

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be moving into my new condo on a second floor. I was wondering what size of an aquarium could I safely put up? I want to know the largest tank I could possibly have. I used to have a 150 gallon tank in a 2 story apartment. Please let me know. Thank you so much.

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They probably have a rule if you ask. Otherwise it depends on how the condo is built.

OP
OP
LoveReefs411

LoveReefs411

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own the condo. It's not a rental. How would I find out how the condo is built? I wouldn't even know what to ask.
'

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
if you have a concrete floor, you should be ok. but if you have wooden floors it will limit the size you use to 75 gallons to be on the safe side. if you want to go bigger, like 180 gallons, then you can reinforce the floor from underneath.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will be moving into my new condo on a second floor. I was wondering what size of an aquarium could I safely put up? I want to know the largest tank I could possibly have. I used to have a 150 gallon tank in a 2 story apartment. Please let me know. Thank you so much.
That w a 40 g sump w concrete will b fine.

OP
OP
LoveReefs411

LoveReefs411

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah, I used to have a 180 in my house with a supported floor. I don't believe concrete would be used on a second story. Do they actually do that? I used to have a 150 on a second floor apartment for many years.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yah, I used to have a 180 in my house with a supported floor. I don't believe concrete would be used on a second story. Do they actually do that? I used to have a 150 on a second floor apartment for many years.
Idk I live in a 25 story building that’s concrete.

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a lot of variables with the construction of the floor you’re sitting on, size of joists,span of joists. Hard to give a size recommendation without knowing or seeing Your any of these things.

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends but given a standard 2x12 joist and 18-24 inch spacing you will probably get about 30-40 gallons per joist. So if you can span a bunch you can still get a pretty big size, you could also sister them and block them for quite a bit more

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everywhere is different and has different building codes so take this as a LARGE generalization. As a licensed residential builder and hardwood flooring contractor I would guess that the building will most likely be constructed with either standard 2x10 joists or 2x4 engineered floor trusses. On a second floor a product called light-crete is typically used instead of concrete for a weight reduction. That type of floor still needs to be supported as well though so it's not necessarily stronger perse.
Either way on a second floor I would limit a tank size to 125gal and place the tank along an outside wall.
Also keep in mind that although you own the condo I'm sure there is a condo association which may have limits to what is allowed.
Good luck with your new build, hope it goes well :)

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to place the tank on the wall where the floor joists are perpendicular to said wall. The center of an
unsupported joist is the weakest. As we move out from the center of the joist to the outer walls supporting the joists the potential for deflection decreases.
I had a 120 on a second floor. I located the joists to have the maximum amount under the tank and kept it as close to the wall as possible. I also had a angle iron stand built so the load was spread evenly across the floor. The stand did not have the typical four legs that would have load pointed the floor in the four corners. The bottom of the stand was just like the top flat all the way around.

Just imagine a standard angle iron stand and placing it upside down and putting the tank on the four legs, the four corners would puncture the tank due to load pointing the same holds true for wood floors.

Antoniocastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Red Sea 525 XL in a fourth floor apartment for four years and never had any problems. ( The building is made of wood).

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at it another way. Are you going to be lugging water up stairs for water changes? Do you like your downstairs neighbors? Personally I wouldn't want the hassle of a large tank in a condo. Too many variables to take that risk IMO.

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at it another way. Are you going to be lugging water up stairs for water changes? Do you like your downstairs neighbors? Personally I wouldn't want the hassle of a large tank in a condo. Too many variables to take that risk IMO.
Almost like “reef at your own risk” lol

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a condo association? It would be in your bylaws
This. I will say I had a 150g for years in a low rise apartment, with no issues. IIRC floor was concrete. In the end there was rules against that size, but I didn't know until I moved out and received my deposit back. Both of my current tanks are on the bottom floor in a condo currently so I only worry about destroying my own flooring.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back