Largest tank size for a second story condo?

MaxM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own the condo. It's not a rental. How would I find out how the condo is built? I wouldn't even know what to ask.
'
Figure out which way the floor joists run. You want your tank near an exterior wall running perpendicular to the direction of the floor joists. By spanning joists near a load bearing wall you distribute the weight so that each joist isn't bearing but a fraction of the load.

MaxM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew how they built it. Do you think anyone would know?
If it's a large commercial build they may have even used steel joists.

Take a look at your roof line. Generally roof joists run perpendicular to the gable ends. Your floor joist likely run parallel to the roof joists/rafters.

Best to post pics of the condo from outside or make friends with an architect or structural engineer local to you.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have a concrete floor, you should be ok. but if you have wooden floors it will limit the size you use to 75 gallons to be on the safe side. if you want to go bigger, like 180 gallons, then you can reinforce the floor from underneath.
Having concrete floor with an aquarium can still be a problem in condos. I have concrete floors in my condo in FL. My condo association bylaws states no aquarium larger then 60g. Why...because if there is a leak your tank can ruin not just your floors but your adjacent/those below you ceilings, walls, floors and furniture. Water loves to travel. If your bylaws states a max and you go above it, you will be fined

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Having concrete floor with an aquarium can still be a problem in condos. I have concrete floors in my condo in FL. My condo association bylaws states no aquarium larger then 60g. Why...because if there is a leak your tank can ruin not just your floors but your adjacent/those below you ceilings, walls, floors and furniture. Water loves to travel. If your bylaws states a max and you go above it, you will be fined
it all depends what is under the second floor, here in LA the first floor is usually reserved for parking, for the newer buildings at least. If your current association's bylaws say that you are limited on a tank size, then you are legally liable for any damages if you go over that limit.

OP
OP
LoveReefs411

LoveReefs411

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't a person be liable no matter what? I was thinking I'd play it safe and go for a 96 gallon. That's not too big. I did have a 150g on the second level before. I don't think I want to try that again. The first floor is a garage.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't a person be liable no matter what? I was thinking I'd play it safe and go for a 96 gallon. That's not too big. I did have a 150g on the second level before. I don't think I want to try that again. The first floor is a garage.
Yes you would be liable to pay for repairs and that includes damages to the garage and car(s) receiving saltwater…plus a fine if you exceed the gallon size if it’s in your bylaws

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LoveReefs411@fishface NJ is completely right. But just to add a couple of things.

First, definitely check your Condo Board rules. If there is a limitation, I’d follow it since presumably it’s the amount of risk (whether weight, water damage, etc) that the Condo Association is willing to take. If your tank violates the rules they would be within their right to tell you to remove it. Second, what does your insurance policy say about aquariums? Saltwater damage to your unit isn’t the only issue, if your saltwater gets into the concrete or other units that could be very expensive for you.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back