LED Q&A (You ask, I'll answer)

Surfage_Breakage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 225g tank (72Lx24Dx30H) that I am in the process of setting up. I have been wanting to make a led fixture but I am not sure of the right led combo for a full spectrum and how many leds I need to have. Here is the fixture I put together: 3x50w 10k, 10x10w 445nm blue, 10x10w 460nm blue, 6x10w 420nm uv. I am not sure what to do for the red, and green. What is your opinion on the higher wattage leds, will I be happy with them, will I get the par I need on my sand bed with out optics? Drilling all of the holes for 3w crees sounds like a nightmare, but if that is the direction I need to go then I will. By the way I will have a mixed reef tank with sps, lps, softies, clams.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 225g tank (72Lx24Dx30H) that I am in the process of setting up. I have been wanting to make a led fixture but I am not sure of the right led combo for a full spectrum and how many leds I need to have. Here is the fixture I put together: 3x50w 10k, 10x10w 445nm blue, 10x10w 460nm blue, 6x10w 420nm uv. I am not sure what to do for the red, and green. What is your opinion on the higher wattage leds, will I be happy with them, will I get the par I need on my sand bed with out optics? Drilling all of the holes for 3w crees sounds like a nightmare, but if that is the direction I need to go then I will. By the way I will have a mixed reef tank with sps, lps, softies, clams.
Did you make the fixture yet? I would not use those royal blues, they have little photosynthetic value. They should be 455nm, which hit the growth spike. I would also use 5watt cree XT-Es for the royals blues, and XP-Gs (or XT-Es, less light but cheaper) for the cool whites, which should be 7500k, not 10k. I would add 3 watt LEDs, 3 reds and 3 or more violets per 24" of tank. I would use 12 XT-E royal blues, and 12 XP-G 7500k cool whites per 24" of tank as well, driven at 1300ma max, and with 90 degree optics, or even carclo ripple wides, for the 30" of depth.

reefer52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help with 26 gal bowfront

I am setting up a 26 gal bowfront after being away from saltwater for about 10 years. LED sounds great! What do I need if I plan to have a few SPS corals someday? Your fixtures look great. thanks, tom

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 26 gal bowfront after being away from saltwater for about 10 years. LED sounds great! What do I need if I plan to have a few SPS corals someday? Your fixtures look great. thanks, tom
Can you DIY, or would you like a pre built fixture?

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the speed of light = 299 792 458 m / s, when i turn on my LED's how much time it takes before the light hits my corals, for a 24"deep tank ? and at what speed considering some yellowing of water?

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the speed of light = 299 792 458 m / s, when i turn on my LED's how much time it takes before the light hits my corals, for a 24"deep tank ? and at what speed considering some yellowing of water?
About the same time as it does with mh.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look good, they do not bin there LEDs well from the nm ranges they gave, so the XMLs may be a little yellow, and the blues vary in color. Other than that they look kinda like the vegas minus a puck, and should be able to grow corals. I would add some reds and violets though.

Bryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a four bulb aquaticlife t5 on a 65 gallon tank. I only plan on having lps corals and some zoas along with fish. I'm looking to ad some leds to make my colors really pop while the t5's are on. I'm looking for a complete unit or a kit.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a four bulb aquaticlife t5 on a 65 gallon tank. I only plan on having lps corals and some zoas along with fish. I'm looking to ad some leds to make my colors really pop while the t5's are on. I'm looking for a complete unit or a kit.
I would do a 24" bar of cree XT-E royal blues, driven at 1300ma max. Reef LED Lights.com sells a good kit.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can DIY. If it's not gonna save a bunch of money, I might just like to buy premade. Are all these units suspended or can I purchase or make a fixture to mount on frame of the aquarium. Thanks for your help.
If you mount it on your tank rim, you are really not using LEDs to their full potential, as in you will need way more to get the same spread. They should be hung at 8-10", any lower and you will lose some spread, and with a full spectrum unit, you may get the disco ball effect of colors.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with my t5's, how many hours should something like this be on. Recommended times on/off?
As long as the T-5s are on. You could also do a 50/50royal blue and 420nm violet mix, but the max current would be 650ma.

Bryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a 24" bar of cree XT-E royal blues, driven at 1300ma max. Reef LED Lights.com sells a good kit.

I was on reefledlights.com website and found what you recommended, but I wasn't sure what options I should choose. Could you lead me in the right direction for the options also.
Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on reefledlights.com website and found what you recommended, but I wasn't sure what options I should choose. Could you lead me in the right direction for the options also.
Thanks for your help.
No optics is just fine. How deep is your tank?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back