LED Q&A (You ask, I'll answer)

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will not support anything more than softies, and will not keep a clam or anemone happy.
Would getting another of the same light do the trick? Or do I need to just get a whole new light system? How much LED power do the clam and anemone need?

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would getting another of the same light do the trick? Or do I need to just get a whole new light system? How much LED power do the clam and anemone need?

I would Diy, clams and nems have a demand those fixtures simply cannot match.

Dsdaley77

*REEF ADDICT*
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on above statement, I can tell you first hand it's a bag of trouble you don't want to mess with.

Dsdaley77

*REEF ADDICT*
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any led over a reef besides moonlight needs to be 3W or higher. Especially since most all LEDs are under driven and rarely run at max wattage. IMO I wouldn't even use them on anything deeper than 3-4in water depth.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the help. I have decided to wait to do clams and other high-light inverts for my future reef tank.

Dsdaley77

*REEF ADDICT*
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems to be the problem, not all spectrums are standard between led companies. Even LEDs from the same company but different production blocks ( or bins) can and usually are different.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems to be the problem, not all spectrums are standard between led companies. Even LEDs from the same company but different production blocks ( or bins) can and usually are different.

Which is why bins are VERY important. Check out the xte bins, you could get 445 nm, or 465 nm, and the efficiency difference is huge.

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about making a algae scrubber can you tell me what is needed to make a 3 or 4 red led fixture?

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry I should have been clearer I need to know everything I would need to purchase to make it work :)

tinkerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am helping build a 40 breeder (36"x18"x16") standard. She would like to do led and I have only did one led light to try out. I read the thread and it looked like you recomended something simalier. she wants nem's and clams other wise it will be softie/lps tank. Will 36 leds, 24 rb 12 cw, 4 uv, 4 red 660, 4 blue, 4 green, all colors will have its own driver with dim. Not sure if I should do 1 or 2 heatsinks. Is this enough? anything missing or need more or less of? Thanks for any help.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am helping build a 40 breeder (36"x18"x16") standard. She would like to do led and I have only did one led light to try out. I read the thread and it looked like you recomended something simalier. she wants nem's and clams other wise it will be softie/lps tank. Will 36 leds, 24 rb 12 cw, 4 uv, 4 red 660, 4 blue, 4 green, all colors will have its own driver with dim. Not sure if I should do 1 or 2 heatsinks. Is this enough? anything missing or need more or less of? Thanks for any help.
1 24" heatsink, or 2 12" heatsinks, as long as the whites and royals are XT-Es, you are good to go.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry I should have been clearer I need to know everything I would need to purchase to make it work :)
Okay, 6 LEDs for each side, 10 660nm Bridgelux, and 2 450nm XT-Es. Put them on these heatsinks, I would do about 6" long: 5.886" - HeatsinkUSA, LLC Store And use this driver: Mean Well LPC 35-700 « Catalog Products « Shop « « ReefLEDLights | LED Aquarium Lighting ReefLEDLights | LED Aquarium Lighting You can use the cree reds as well, but I prefer 660nm to 630nm reds. You can get most of the stuff at ReefLEDLights.com, including the thermal adhesive to glue the stars down. Also, the 660nm reds are available here: 660nm Deep Red LED

seaweed88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who is selling a Maxspect 170. He has changed all the LED's to 3 watt Crees. Can I change the drivers to dimmable drivers? And if so what else would I have to change?
Thanks
Mark

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I got 4 of the controllable LED fixtures from Reef Breeders, would it keep a 180g 24 x 24 72 mixed reef happy? Also, on the controllables, can each color be controlled individually?

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who is selling a Maxspect 170. He has changed all the LED's to 3 watt Crees. Can I change the drivers to dimmable drivers? And if so what else would I have to change?
Thanks
Mark
What is he selling it for? Do you have the specs of the unit, or a link to them?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 29.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back