LED Q&A (You ask, I'll answer)

Bryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ment the options they list on their website. Heatsinks, drivers, fan, optics, harness...

Bryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you want all royals, or 50/50 royals and violets?

Whichever one shows off coral colors the best. This is my first reef tank and I'm still in the learning stages. There's so much to take in, learn, and understand. I find it well worth it though after seeing the final product.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whichever one shows off coral colors the best. This is my first reef tank and I'm still in the learning stages. There's so much to take in, learn, and understand. I find it well worth it though after seeing the final product.
I would do 50/50, you can use a meanwell lpc 35-700, or an inventronics or ELN 60-48D at 650-700ma if you want dimmable.

Bryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to keep bothering you, but I can't find a 50/50 with blue and violet. I'm only seeing the blue and white.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to keep bothering you, but I can't find a 50/50 with blue and violet. I'm only seeing the blue and white.
Did you want to light your whole tank? I thought you just wanted a supplement bar to give your corals more pop.

reefer52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 26 gal bowfront after being away from saltwater for about 10 years. LED sounds great! What do I need if I plan to have a few SPS corals someday? Your fixtures look great. thanks, tom

Thanks for your replies, this board looks like it keeps you busy. Which one of your fixtures would you recommend? I see some of your fixtures are not stocked yet. I would love to go ahead and buy something, but 2 weeks or so is not a big deal, my tank is cycling right now. Thanks.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this light- http://www.marineland.com/sites/marineland/products/Detail.aspx?id=4632 the 48"-60" version on my 90g (height is 24") tank. I know using LED's for reefs is questionable, but I am doing fish with just a few inverts (a clam, anemone, slugs). Should this light do the trick? I am especially concerned for the clam (no I do not have one yet, I have no livestock at all in the tank right now) as I know they need pretty extreme light, and I am thinking about a Tridacna Maxima. Thanks so much.

Surfage_Breakage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make the fixture yet? I would not use those royal blues, they have little photosynthetic value. They should be 455nm, which hit the growth spike. I would also use 5watt cree XT-Es for the royals blues, and XP-Gs (or XT-Es, less light but cheaper) for the cool whites, which should be 7500k, not 10k. I would add 3 watt LEDs, 3 reds and 3 or more violets per 24" of tank. I would use 12 XT-E royal blues, and 12 XP-G 7500k cool whites per 24" of tank as well, driven at 1300ma max, and with 90 degree optics, or even carclo ripple wides, for the 30" of depth.

No I have not ordered anything thing up yet, I am in a hurry to get it but I want to be patient so I get the right set up. Ok so I've got 36x xp-g 7500k, 36x xt-e RB, 9x xp-e red, 9x 420nm violet. What is your opinion on green? What drivers do I need for this set up? What size heat sink would I need?

Thank you very much for your time, I appriciate it!

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this light- http://www.marineland.com/sites/marineland/products/Detail.aspx?id=4632 the 48"-60" version on my 90g (height is 24") tank. I know using LED's for reefs is questionable, but I am doing fish with just a few inverts (a clam, anemone, slugs). Should this light do the trick? I am especially concerned for the clam (no I do not have one yet, I have no livestock at all in the tank right now) as I know they need pretty extreme light, and I am thinking about a Tridacna Maxima. Thanks so much.
They will not support anything more than softies, and will not keep a clam or anemone happy.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have not ordered anything thing up yet, I am in a hurry to get it but I want to be patient so I get the right set up. Ok so I've got 36x xp-g 7500k, 36x xt-e RB, 9x xp-e red, 9x 420nm violet. What is your opinion on green? What drivers do I need for this set up? What size heat sink would I need?

Thank you very much for your time, I appriciate it!
I would do 3 18" x 8.46" heatsinks, and you can add 9 greens to the mix also, though their effect is not as large as the reds or violets. I would use 2 of these: Meanwell HLG-240h-48b Dimmable Driver 5a « Catalog Products « Shop « « ReefLEDLights | LED Aquarium Lighting ReefLEDLights | LED Aquarium Lighting run 4 parellel strings of 9 XT-Es for the royal blues, and 4 parellel strings of XP-Gs (on a second driver) for the cool whites. I would go no greens, and use 2 Meanwell ELN 60-48Ds, one for the 9 reds, 1 for the 9 violets. Does that make sense? For each parellel string, over 3 heat sinks, here is how it would work: 9 XT-Es, the first string, on the first heatsink, followed by 3 LEDs from the second string, on the second heatsink, 6 LEDs from the second string, and 6 LEDs from the the third string. One the third heatsink, 3 LEDs from the third string, and 9 LEDs from the 4th string. Be sure to put 5watt 1ohm resistors on each string to help regulate any current imbalances. Good Luck, and I will be happy to answer any more questions. You can also ask Bill or Rick from ReefLEDLights.com about assembly of the DIY kits.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, just a supplemental light.
Get the 24" L.A.B. heatsink, with 6 XT-E royal blues and BJB holders, and 6 semiLED violets and BJB holders, an a meanwell LPC 35-700, and some thermal paste and 20 AWG wire.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats the best 2 commercial led light out?
Maxspect razor, and and the AI vega (only with the right custom ratio, the colored version does not have enough par, the regular version does not have enough colors). The radion pro is nice, but so expensive I wouldn't consider it.

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel different BTA's adjust to the LED's? I am experiencing my RBTA's are loving the LED's while my greens and such aren't so happy....what are your thoughts?

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel different BTA's adjust to the LED's? I am experiencing my RBTA's are loving the LED's while my greens and such aren't so happy....what are your thoughts?
If you acclimate them slow enough, they should be fine.

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you acclimate them slow enough, they should be fine.

Most have been under the LED's for almost a year now. RBTA went from 1 to 18 and the GBTA's went from 4 to 5 as only 1 split and it currently thriving....the others are simply small goo patches on my rocks with a couple tenticals that are only about 1\8 of an inch in length.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back