Let’s discuss Jebao

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another positive vote for Jebao. Their products are a threat to the rest, in my opinion. I've had them all over the years from Tunze, Vortech, Danner supreme MagDrives, Red Dragon on my old Vertex skimmer, and now Jebao. Jebao powerheads make it pure stupidity to buy anything else. The Jebao returns (new to me) are so powerful and quiet. I set two DCP-15000 up on the new tank and can only run one on 30-50% power with 12' head pressure. Turning the other on the lowest setting causes flow into my tertiary overflow drain. Great pump, I just have to dial back the second one manually, and it'll lose pressure after opening the manifolds on that line.

Wish I was a paid sponsor of their product, but I'm not. They're awesome.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So…it’s been a few minutes since the great Jebao debate has raged on here

The reason is because there are two basic camps of people, and nobody can be converted from one to the other.

In one camp, you have people who don't use Jebao products. These include people who prefer more expensive pumps because they like gear, people who don't like the claims of IP theft, and those who rolled the dice and came up snake eyes when a pump died a few months after buying. These people can never be convinced to use Jebao pumps. There's no point in trying to do so.

Then, you have people who have used Jebao pumps. These include people who have used them for years without issues (me), people who don't really care about the name brand and just want something that moves water (also me), and people who have done the math and realized if they replaced the pump 5 times, they'd still have saved money compared to a Vortech (also me). You're not going to talk people like this into throwing out all their Jebao pumps and buying new, name-brand pumps.

This is why the subject is so contentious and is better left alone. Especially since it's been rehashed countless times before.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, its so much cheaper to buy a jebao and a backup or two, than a lot of the equivalent products. I replaced my sicce AC return recently so I could have a DC went with jebao due to price. Will probably order another to plumb to a manifold it works well enough. Probably by another after that to ha e a backup on hand.

The sicce is great but its old and has some wear, also, the jebao which pushes up to twice the volume, takes 1/5th the power.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run an Eheim 1262 return pump, that was made in Germany, since 2009. It has never failed and the only service I've had to do was buy a new pump cover for $15.
Not to be contrarian, I also bought a 1262 around that time. I had it stored until about 2
The reason is because there are two basic camps of people, and nobody can be converted from one to the other.

In one camp, you have people who don't use Jebao products. These include people who prefer more expensive pumps because they like gear, people who don't like the claims of IP theft, and those who rolled the dice and came up snake eyes when a pump died a few months after buying. These people can never be convinced to use Jebao pumps. There's no point in trying to do so.

Then, you have people who have used Jebao pumps. These include people who have used them for years without issues (me), people who don't really care about the name brand and just want something that moves water (also me), and people who have done the math and realized if they replaced the pump 5 times, they'd still have saved money compared to a Vortech (also me). You're not going to talk people like this into throwing out all their Jebao pumps and buying new, name-brand pumps.

This is why the subject is so contentious and is better left alone. Especially since it's been rehashed countless times before.
I’d like to believe I fall in the middle (who doesn’t?)

I started in this hobby scraping by with DIY and used garbage. I built my first LED array from rapidled so many years ago. It became apparent that in order to make this work, money is required. Like so many I became a “brand *****” until I realized that while money and reliability go hand in hand, that’s not always the case. It is VERY RARE in this hobby in regards to equipment that “cheap” and “reliable” are found together.

This is what I wanted here and I appreciate all the comments. I wanted to cut thru the “but it’s cheap and not made in Germanys” BS and see what people’s long or mid-term results were.

I have a lot more confidence in the Jebao pump (and I will buy a second one this weekend) after reading some positive comments and let them run for a few weeks in a FW loop to make sure I didn’t get a lemon.

As for the IP theft. I don’t see a lot about this pump that screams stolen to me. The plastic is a bit like a Vectra but honestly I don’t see a lot of similarities (impeller and things notwithstanding). It doesn’t absolve me from guilt for buying it if it is stolen IP, but no company has clean hands on that subject in this hobby.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
From what I have read their return pumps haven’t ripped anyone off. The controller on the older models is ugly, but the pump and controller just work. I use Nero pumps and not the Jebao equivalent because I like the web interface for controllability, but what I have read is that the patent on the technology for those pumps were licensed to both parties. Have not verified for sure though.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So…it’s been a few minutes since the great Jebao debate has raged on here based on google and I’m trying to talk myself into (out of?) using a Jebao pump for my return.

I really want an Internal pump. With 10-15’ of head height, this limits my options. So…I picked up the Jebao MDP-20000 the other day. I have a very healthy budget but $2200 for a Abyzz return isn’t happening- especially since I always buy 2 of everything. Build quality looks on par or slightly above the Vectra. It’s dead silent and while I can’t test it in real life applications yet, it threw water out of a bucket like it’s life depended on it. It also runs at 180w max vs 300w for its AC reeflo counterpart.

I am not blind to the issues with Jebao…or COR pumps, or Vectra’s, or Reeflo’s (The hammerhead gold hybrid I’d need is 2x the cost and nearly 2x the watts) However, the bad to good review ratio (except for the COR) seem to be about the same across the board for all these pumps. For every “It’s been running for 5 years and I shout slightly offensive things at it daily” there’s a “24 hours in it knocked up my wife and stole my wallet.”

I think we’re past the “didn’t you read the article about the guy’s controller that exploded and killed his dog stuff.” Let’s discuss reliability beyond the “I just don’t trust them because I heard…” actual reliability in real life.

Keeping in mind 90% of reefing equipment is made, or has some components made, in China, is it time to look at the pro’s and con’s of these pumps without the bias against where they come from? I’m not saying it isn’t founded for sooo many items, I’m just wondering if the reviews and experience actually sync with the general sentiment.

Two hobbyist using the same product will often yield different experiences. Just how it is. Unless someone is paying you a stipend to use brand A return use whatever works for you and your budget. You don't need anyone to help you make a decision. You did the leg work by reading reviews. Ball is in your court now.

• Use it because it fits your budget
  • Use it because it makes you feel good
  • Use it because of the reviews
  • Use it because you want to try it

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two hobbyist using the same product will often yield different experiences. Just how it is. Unless someone is paying you a stipend to use brand A return use whatever works for you and your budget. You don't need anyone to help you make a decision. You did the leg work by reading reviews. Ball is in your court now.

• Use it because it fits your budget
  • Use it because it makes you feel good
  • Use it because of the reviews
  • Use it because you want to try it
I couldn’t find aggregated reviews (such as this thread I created) that were recent enough to my liking. More information and more reviews, in one place are not just valuable to me but someone in 3-6-9 months with the same quandary.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t find aggregated reviews (such as this thread I created) that were recent enough to my liking. More information and more reviews, in one place are not just valuable to me but someone in 3-6-9 months with the same quandary.

Google search returned 39,000 hits. Top one is Amazon with 57 reviews and a 4.4 star rating. Not sure what you are looking for. Again use whatever you want that works for you.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google search returned 39,000 hits. Top one is Amazon with 57 reviews and a 4.4 star rating. Not sure what you are looking for. Again use whatever you want that works for you.
Amazon reviews, which I read, include setups with no build threads or further information, a few negative reviews that just say “couldn’t get Wi-Fi to connect” and a fair amount of people using the pump for other things.

To clarify: I’m looking for reviews, opinions, stories, and suggestions from individuals in a forum where we can converse and get smarter and better equipped as a community.

It’s not about just using what you like or works for you today; it’s about finding solutions that will set you up for the best outcome long term.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not about just using what you like or works for you today; it’s about finding solutions that will set you up for the best outcome long term.

And that can be achieved using any number of different return pumps when installed, and used, properly.

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two tanks both with Jebao return pumps (3) never clean them, one tank just hit 3 years. My 75 gal tank has 2 Jebao wave makers going on one year also never cleaned and no issues. I bought these with the intensions of upgrading to better pumps, but why spend big bucks when these are killing it.

cbedfellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Jebao pumps but I do find them noisy when run hard and all of mine failed prematurely, I do not mind Jebao but would never use one as a return. They have their place in my opinion, they are ok, built to a price.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Jebao pumps but I do find them noisy when run hard and all of mine failed prematurely, I do not mind Jebao but would never use one as a return. They have their place in my opinion, they are ok, built to a price.
Funny..The return is the best thing they have IMO..lol. I have the ow poweheads as well and they work fine. I've had mpQDs as well and they are nice..my gripe is that you can't angle them.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 of these...from Amazon

Mag Pro Aqua ZKSJ Slim Pro 1200,s and couldn't be more satisfied...$139/each...but has an app control and sync functionality that has been awesome ....running for almost 1 year now.

Those are my main wavemakers also have 2 Sicce Nano on the bottom left and right

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My return pumps are Jebao 5500 and 3500 both are running three plus years. My second tank has a Jebao 4500 return pump and two wave makers 70 all going on one year.
I have gone thru two sets of Max 330 gyres in the same time frame. The first Max was changed after three years the pumps lost close to 50% power, they were replaced December 22 with the same model. The second set of 330 failed while I was on vacation last week, Jebao pumps still running like day one.

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a Jebao UV to tackle a Dino issue, it's working as expected. That being said, I got it since it's super temporary. If I was plumbing it in permanently I would go with a different brand

Beefyreefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Long time jebao user. Wavemakers last 5 plus years and return pumps last 2 years. For the price you can buy like a dozen spares compared to an abyzz, lol. I just can’t justify the expense for pumps when name brands don’t exactly last forever either. YMMV, but it’s just a pump so who cares what brand it is.

cbedfellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time jebao user. Wavemakers last 5 plus years and return pumps last 2 years. For the price you can buy like a dozen spares compared to an abyzz, lol. I just can’t justify the expense for pumps when name brands don’t exactly last forever either. YMMV, but it’s just a pump so who cares what brand it is.
Depends, my red dragon pump is located outside my bedroom, it is by far quieter then even my Vectra pump. Jebao are not noisey but they do squeal at higher rpm, for a good nights sleep it was worth the money.

It has been a minute since I have bought a Jebao but my Vectra pump is still running, as is my RD but none of the maybe 5 or 6 Jebao pumps are, for me I would buy a Jebao/Jecod but not on mission critical.

I think they are ok, not bad… but not great.

Willhersh34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stumbled across this thread by chance……….

Im not a die hard Jebao guy by any stretch. I bought 2 RW-4 April of 21 for a 75 gal FOWLR tank. They’ve been running since with no cleaning and move water very well.

I added 2 OW-10 in Sept of 21 for a mixed reef 40 breeder. Same deal, been running since without cleaning and no issues.

I also bought a DCP2500 for the return on the 40 breeder. It’s driving the return plus a GFO reactor. Dialed back to 30ish percent. Cleaned once since 21 with no issues.

I essentially went Jebao because I could get DC at a decent price point. The thing to me is this: I want my tanks to be about the inhabitants, not the gear/tech. I’m fairly certain you can spend more on other products and get excellent results. My question is why? If I can achieve the same/similar results at a lower cost I’m going to do that. Value proposition matters and if I can get multiple pumps for lower cost just because of the name it’s kind of a non-starter for me.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 76 40.6%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 95 50.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back