Let’s discuss Jebao

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is that a Wi-Fi controlled one ?

ECP-XXm are the latest wifi gyres. ELW and EOW are the latest powerheads and EP for return pumps. The "m" at the end means they can do traditional wifi or AP (direct wifi connection) mode.

I have several ELWs and ECPs. Just got my first EP. No complaints with any of them.

quickreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ECP-XXm are the latest wifi gyres. ELW and EOW are the latest powerheads and EP for return pumps. The "m" at the end means they can do traditional wifi or AP (direct wifi connection) mode.

I have several ELWs and ECPs. Just got my first EP. No complaints with any of them.

Do I get two of these or one gyrie and one of these ?

Attachments

• IMG_2371.png
    IMG_2371.png
    264.7 KB · Views: 35

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youll have to research that some and decide, i have 1 gyre and 1 powerhead and I can see why I would want to change to 2 gyres or 2 power heads, but I am fine with it so far. The gyre clears the goal of surface tension breaking and keeping detritis suspended all on its own, so the other powerhead basically just functions as a way to chop up the flow from being a constant turning in the direction of the gyres push/pull.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I mean, that's completely up to you. I have a few small tanks using the "traditional" wavemaker type pumps (ELW-3m, MLW-5, etc). I have a few larger tanks running pairs of gyres (ECP-50m and ECP-70m). It all depends on what you're looking to accomplish.

I have an IM 30L that is all LPS and softies. The dimensions of the display portion of the tank (36x10x12) are very long and narrow which have made it difficult to get flow from one end to the other without blasting something along the way. I've used Neros, MP10s and MLWs, but they all have the same issue. I just recently switched over to a pair of ECP-50m gyres, and I am pretty happy with the results. The max flow of 792gph isn't overbearing, and I can shoot water across the top, so nothing is in the direct path.

In order to take advantage of the gyre effect, I alternate the two ends with a sine wave pattern, on for 95 minutes, off for 85 minutes.The 95/85 might seem strange, but I did that so the pumps will overlap for 5 minutes and really stir things up, but not long enough to tick anything off.

I'm setting up a larger mixed reef tank with a pair of larger gyres. I'll be doing much the same schedule, but I'll be using the "random" mode instead of the sine wave.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my ecotech for a jebao return pump! Much better, quieter and probably more reliable!
That's absurd. Mine is silent, the DC smart jebao, but I assumed they would all be silent. Not that a hum would bother me, but that's a common selling point as far as I understand.

Which model did you switch from?

Edit: Mine has frozen before, was not hard to fix. I never cleaned it, and was running for like 8 months up to that point, but I assume the high PH and Alk I run might have caused that on any pump. Just the ceramic bearing needed to be removed and impeller was soaked in citric acid for a few minutes.

c4haskett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's absurd. Mine is silent, the DC smart jebao, but I assumed they would all be silent. Not that a hum would bother me, but that's a common selling point as far as I understand.

Which model did you switch from?

Edit: Mine has frozen before, was not hard to fix. I never cleaned it, and was running for like 8 months up to that point, but I assume the high PH and Alk I run might have caused that on any pump. Just the ceramic bearing needed to be removed and impeller was soaked in citric acid for a few minutes
Vectra S1

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sell me on this. Why?
Whatever you save is only short term; you typically end up replacing Jebao equipment within a year or two, so you'd have been better off with a non-knockoff product with better construction, warranty and reliability (not to mention performance).

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think we are seeing much Jebao equipment fail within a year. Seems more like a stereotype for cheaper Chinese gear. I see more MP failures than anything and they are the most expensive.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think we are seeing much Jebao equipment fail within a year. Seems more like a stereotype for cheaper Chinese gear. I see more MP failures than anything and they are the most expensive.
You're basing this on what exactly? The people I know who've tried Jebao feel like most are glorified paperweights and ended up replacing them with something more dependable. On the other hand, everyone I know with Vortechs and Radions hasn't had any issues (other than Mobius).

I've yet to meet anyone who runs Vortechs that doesn't like them and sing its praises (well, except for maybe the price).

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're basing this on what exactly? The people I know who've tried Jebao feel like most are glorified paperweights and ended up replacing them with something more dependable. On the other hand, everyone I know with Vortechs and Radions hasn't had any issues (other than Mobius).

I've yet to meet anyone who runs Vortechs that doesn't like them and sing its praises (well, except for maybe the price).
The same things you are likely basing your claim on. Like, this thread for starters. Most people on R2R that use Jebao seem happy with the products. I don't see a rash of threads about Jebao fails. There are quite a few about MP failures.

Back