Looking into an Apex Controller. Is it worth it?

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about looking into an apex controller but wondering if it's really worth the cost??
Currently I have a 90 gallon and coral is minimal at the moment. Mainly fowlr, but will be adding coral here and there in the Near future.

Equipment I am running:
(2) Mars Aqua LED black boxes
(2) Jebao wave makers
They're not necessarily "apex compatible"??

What all is possible with an apex controller?Obviously monitoring certain parameters. Turning equipment on/off via phone/tablet. But how's that much different from my current 8 outlet power bar (with switches) other than a "cool factor"?
I've thought about purchasing one a few different times but just want to hear honest feedback, both good and bad, before dropping $500+.
Is it worth it for a basic salt water tank?

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are mods you can do to make black box leds and jebao equipment compatible with the apex. I believe jebao even makes apex cables for some of their stuff.

The apex allows you real-time monitoring and remote control of your system. as well as auto fail safes. some equipment is easier to tune with the apex and the apex timers are quite handy, especially if you're dosing or tamping leds.

Those are just some of the benefits, the list goes on. but for me it's so much easier to be able to control everything from one device.

OP
OP
corey.nolta

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cromag08, any idea on the difficulty levels of modding said equipment? I'd really hate to screw something up and then be down lighting :-/
Can each outlet be put onto a timer?
Sorry for 20 questions, just want to be certain before making a purchase

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't remember the specifics but you could probably find the info on the Neptune's forum.

Run4Fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Like my APEX, but it's seriously a lot of money for something with seriously outdated software. Writing code to get it to do what you want it to do is relatively easy once you learn it, but the simple fact that you have to write code is a bit ridiculous given this is 2016 I was relatively surprised as the software looks a bit like something you would have seen in the 90's. There are many benefits to it, so I guess overall it's worth it, but be prepared to spend a lot of money and keep in mind, you have have to pay A LOT more than the cost of the base model to get the extras.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This summer, I got an alarm when I was about 600 miles away on vacation and wouldn't be back for another 14 days. My Apex was telling me that my salinity was too high. I noted that my ATO hadn't run and my float switches were indicating "open", which is how I set mine up so that my ATO wouldn't run if my switches got disconnected.

I cobbled together a code to run my ATO based off of my salinity probe, which kept my tank running along just fine, though I set it up with slightly high salinity. When I got home, my water level was about an inch low and had used about 50 gallons of water.

Just before leaving, I routed my RO line to the top of my stairs so that my house sitter could refill my ATO reservoir and knocked my break out box (module for switches) cable loose. If I hadn't gotten an alert, I would have likely come home to a very unhappy system.

OP
OP
corey.nolta

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Run4Fun, I don't see writing code being a huge issue. I'm pretty tech savvy and catch on quick. I know it all depends on what add ons you're looking to purchase, but how much is "a lot"? I mean the thing is already pushing $600. Am I going to need to buy extra stuff right out the gate? If that's the case, then wow!

@Breadman03, I guess that in itself made everything worth it! But how often does something like that happen? Is it more often than one thinks?
I'd love to streamline everything and I love the idea of the Neptune controller, I just don't love the amount of money it'll cost ;)

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return vs investment.

Run4Fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite the negatives, it's still a good tool. The model I bought only came with a PH and Temp prob and it ran about $500. Salinity probe and module will likely run you another $200. Also, and I'm not sure if they changed this with new versions, but I had to hard wire it for internet, so it's another $30 for a gaming internet port if you're not in the same room as your router to connect it directly. If you have more than 8 cords, you will need to pickup another Energy Bar for between $100-$150. Other types of probes usually run between $100-$200 for the probe plus module. Doser will run you $400+.

Also, it relies on power so it really can't send you a signal for loss of power. It can only send you a signal when power comes back on, which does you no good if a breaker has tripped since it won't come back on. I've done some reading on this and I believe some people have found tricky ways to figure out when power is down, but again, it's kind of silly the APEX doesn't have a built in wireless alert system. You really don't get a whole lot for the price, but despite all the downsides, I still like my APEX as a tool to make reefing easier. I just want to make sure you are aware of all the issues so you know what you're really buying going in.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can send you a message for loss of power.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...But how often does something like that happen?

Once your tank is filled with livestock that you paid good money for, it only has to happen once. You've been given one example and many more can share the same stories...myself included, just two days ago in fact when we lost power and I wasn't home.

I fought the purchase for a long time. I still don't use it to near the capability it has. To be honest, there were things that were easier/simpler to do with the DJ power bars I used to use. BUT, reasons like those mentioned above have saved my behind, and the behind of my inhabitants, on more than one occasion.

Last edited:

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it relies on power so it really can't send you a signal for loss of power.

Read post #12 above. It can send a power outage notification. Yes, it takes a UPS on your Apex and your router, but it really isn't that tricky, because I figured it out. :eek:

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a ups, I just set it up in the notifications and I get text messages when power goes off or back on. maybe they changed something with the fusion upgrade?

Read post #12 above. It can send a power outage notification. Yes, it takes a UPS on your Apex and your router, but it really isn't that tricky, because I figured it out. :eek:

Run4Fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very helpful tip. I suppose it's time to buy a battery backup.

Run4Fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a ups, I just set it up in the notifications and I get text messages when power goes off or back on. maybe they changed something with the fusion upgrade?
Not sure - I wonder why they would change that as it is a step in the wrong direction that requires additional cost.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is an apex a necessity to run a successful tank? No. Does it make automating just about anything very easy? Yes...with remote control as well. I travel a lot...I have my tank very automated...and I can check in and "look" at stuff, anytime, anywhere. It allows you to have all your equipment work together. A simple example would be feeding my tank when I am away. I plug my feeder into my apex.....a couple of lines of code and now I have....recirculation pump and skimmer shut off. Wait 2 min for tank to drain back....feed whatever amount I want (because the feeder is programmable). Wait 20 min...start return pump. Some leftover food now circulates through the sump.....10 min later, start skimmer back up again....little more flexible than just a feeder on a timer and food being added with return pump running and washing it all away so-to-speak. Very simple example to show "integration". I am currently modding a Chinese black box led unit to be "apex compatible" for ramping each channel...for $20 or so.
Absolutely necessary? No. Does it make adding *anything* to your tank simple and integrated. Absolutely

jerseypete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It not a necessity, but when you have so much money and time tied up in a tank you want to protect it. It makes things easier. And when your using apex compatible equipment. Hydra lights and 2 mp40s on my tank. You set the lighting, and WaveMaker programs, and your set. Set up feed button. To shut down pumps. Delay on skimmer on start up. No skimmer overflow. Etc. For me my tank has been running almost 3yrs now. You cant buy that. Or easily replace the time that it took you to get that point. If you think about the money we spend on this hobby. What's another 6-800 hundred.

OP
OP
corey.nolta

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info everyone! I'll have to do some reading on all the different add ons, and mods I can do to my current equipment to make it compatible. From everyone's input, it'll most likely happen! Being able to monitor everything at a given moment is awesome. But to be able to control everything from one place (iphone) sounds absolutely amazing

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back